Holiday insurance cover

Just looked at Aviva and Nationwide policy wording. Although riding your own bike over 125cc is covered, they both say you're only covered if "and you are wearing suitable protective clothing.", now who decides what is appropriate? Riding down to the beach in Spain you're not going to put full leathers, motorbike boots and back protector on - are you?

No but you will wear a helmet and hopefully not flip flops and trunks. Why dont you ring them for clarification?

No but you will wear a helmet and hopefully not flip flops and trunks. Why dont you ring them for clarification?

I rang Aviva for clarification on what is suitable protective clothing - the agent told me not to worry as my motorbike insurance would cover emergency medical treatment. I disagreed with him but he wouldn't have it, just kept saying my bike insurance would cover me for medical.
Now I'm confused - I've gone through my Bennetts policy and I can't see any medical cover.

Just got off the phone with LV, apparently by the definition of appropriate protective clothing means technical clothing designed specifically for motorcycle riding, so unless you are wearing a motorcycle jacket, motorcycle trousers, motorcycle gloves and motorcycle helmet - you are not covered.
Apparently there's been a few queries recently regarding this specific exclusion clause.
It's the same for Aviva and Nationwide travel policies.

So sadly no good for me. I admit it's not smart but on a hot day on short journeys I wear jeans, trainers and a sweatshirt.

Not sure how widely known this is as from previous posts many people have these policies with this wording. Worth knowing even though I presume we all generally wear the appropriate clothing.

Just got off the phone with LV, apparently by the definition of appropriate protective clothing means technical clothing designed specifically for motorcycle riding, so unless you are wearing a motorcycle jacket, motorcycle trousers, motorcycle gloves and motorcycle helmet - you are not covered.
Apparently there's been a few queries recently regarding this specific exclusion clause.

So sadly no good for me. I admit it's not smart but on a hot day on short journeys I wear jeans, trainers and a sweatshirt.

Not sure how widely known this is as from previous posts many people have these policies with this wording. Worth knowing even though I presume we all generally wear the appropriate clothing.

Then it's very easy. Buy the policy for all the other cover it gives you and simply 'self insure' yourself for the period of your short journeys on hot days when you wear nothing but your budgie smugglers in florid green. By 'self insure' I mean, don't fall off and injure yourself sufficiently to warrant making a claim.

If you have an accident and that requires the activating of all the relevant clauses then it would almost certainly be of the type where the admitting hospital will cut off all your clothing (except maybe your undercrackers depending on how humorous the staff feel on any particular day).
This ends up being binned or if bloodied, burnt.
I don't think the insurance company is going to give a hoot in such a case.

Back
Top Bottom