Cruis/ABS/Traction issue - help

Jallani

Reaction score
Hello UKGSers - I have a LC TE 2013. I decided to put some new black spoke wheels on recently as the original silver ones had discoloured quite badly. I swapped over the discs / ABS ring / wheel spacers etc and they went straight on - no issues with ride quality / handling etc.

However, now I notice that occasionally the cruise control trips, which normally lurches me forward unexpectedly - it didn't do this before I changed the wheels. On a long ride back from Scotland last week suddenly the ABS and Traction light came on permanently indicating a fault in the system. Obviously the cruise control stopped working as well. After turning the bike off/on it all seemed to start working again and didn't reappear for the remaining 150 miles home. It was the first day of Storm Doris so was quite wet / windy so could be possibly unrelated.

Has anyone else had a similar issue or point me to possible causes of the cruise control issue - something possibly on its way out? The bike just had it's 25K service with Vines and no reported issues. I can take it back to a dealer for investigation but don't really have the time to mess around and would rather sort myself if it happens to come down to replacing a sensor or realigning something.

Any suggestions?

p.s. The bike has been pretty reliable and had very little problems since new. It's been to Norway, Morocco and all places in between so have been a very happy owner.

Thanks

Probably nothing to do with the wheel swap and it's a sensor related issue. Speed sensors are the one thing that links everything together. Could be that a sensor connector got wet somewhere and it's an obvious place to start.

the "air gap" between reluctor and sensor may be different now with the new wheels. Typically the gap is around 1mm so I would check that and adjust if possible. Abs sensors will give bike wheel speed so the cruise can do its thing. hope this helps

+1 on the air gap for speed sensor, most likely source of the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for replies. Someone else pointed out that it could also be the left hand switch-gear / Cruise Control button as they're known to fail.

Anyone had similar experiences?

Thanks for replies. Someone else pointed out that it could also be the left hand switch-gear / Cruise Control button as they're known to fail.

Might be wrong but I don't think failure of the cruise control button would cause the ABS and Traction Control lights to come on as you describe.

Jallani, Did you ever get this fixed? What did it turn out to be?

Jallani, Did you ever get this fixed? What did it turn out to be?

Issue not fixed. The ABS/Traction light is on permanently now. I can still ride but obviously these 'safety' features are off and cruise doesn't work.

I spoke to a couple of dealers who simply suggested I pay them to hook-up to their computer to tell me the exact issue (I have to pre-authorise up to 45 mins work @ £118 ph). I did raise that my bike has FSH (from BMW main dealer) so may try for a goodwill claim but have to identify the issue first. May be cheaper for me to buy parts off ebay and fit myself as out of warranty (2013 model).

It's booked in for next week now for a diagnostic check. Will post once I identify the issue.

However, one dealer suggested it could be the left hand switchgear. I tried opening it up and cleaning with contact cleaner but hasn't made any difference.

Sorry to hear it's not fixed yet, Must be someone on this forum who owns a gs911 to do that diagnostic for you? Just a thought

ɹǝpun uʍop˙˙˙ɹǝƃpɐq lǝʌɐɹפ ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ ʇuǝS

Just a quick update to close this thread as my issue is now resolved.

BMW Vines hooked it up to their computer and it was showing an error with the speed sensor (nothing to do with the switchgear). The technician tried straightening the ABS ring on the wheel (said it could be warped as quite flimsy material) and said the space between the ABS ring and speed sensor was slightly more than usual so adjusted down (was +4mm and should have been about +1mm). This seems to have resolved the issue and my Cruise Control is now functioning again (plus no ABS/traction warning lights on dash!).

Given the dealer hourly rates, I guess it may be worth investing in the GS911 diagnostic tool as I could probably have adjusted the speed sensor spacing myself if I had known the root cause.

Thanks for those who commented above (and suspected the speed sensor). Hope this helps others.

Had my left switch gear replaced under warranty on my last GS in January, the cause was that cruise had an intermittent fault in the summer/early autumn and then in January it stopped working all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a quick update to close this thread as my issue is now resolved.

BMW Vines hooked it up to their computer and it was showing an error with the speed sensor (nothing to do with the switchgear). The technician tried straightening the ABS ring on the wheel (said it could be warped as quite flimsy material) and said the space between the ABS ring and speed sensor was slightly more than usual so adjusted down (was +4mm and should have been about +1mm). This seems to have resolved the issue and my Cruise Control is now functioning again (plus no ABS/traction warning lights on dash!).

Given the dealer hourly rates, I guess it may be worth investing in the GS911 diagnostic tool as I could probably have adjusted the speed sensor spacing myself if I had known the root cause.

Thanks for those who commented above (and suspected the speed sensor). Hope this helps others.

Thanks for the update, glad to hear it's fixed. Enjoy the ride!

ɹǝpun uʍop˙˙˙ɹǝƃpɐq lǝʌɐɹפ ǝɥʇ ʎq ʇuǝS

I had issues with cruise control which was solved by the replacement of my left switch gear. Further issues were rectified by replacing the receiver module (that receives the signals from the left switch gear) That had to be programmed at BMW.

Back
Top Bottom