posted about gearbox problem help

shaggy&eddie

Reaction score
Bought a 2004 r1200gs with 24k on it second ride on it gear box problem
looks like a bought a puppy jusy been told it is the shaft from the gear box to the clutch
i stopped listening at £1200
havnt told eddie yet

did you go talk to Mikeyboy off this site

? secondhand gearbox???

I used a 2nd hand mainshaft from motorworks on a bike 35 000 miles later still no problem ~(with the bits i fixed!)

looks like a bought a puppy jusy been told it is the shaft from the gear box to the clutch
havnt told eddie yet

What's the symptoms? Why didn't you notice in first ride? Did you buy at dealer? Who made diagnosis? JJH

If you get no joy from the dealer (you should if you bought the bike less than 6 months ago) then speak to Mikeyboy on this site...he is to far from you and has a great set up and reputation on here.

Hi no i bought the bike private i rode it 150 miles home and there were no symptoms the bike is with a guy from earls barton
bike motor works he was the work shop manager bmw northampton ive told eddie now

JJH the symptons are noisey clutch when not engaged and quite when clutch engaged was riding two upwhen failed in 4gh gear

I think only the Irish lads will get that one JJH

Sent from a OnePlusX

JJH the symptons are noisey clutch when not engaged and quiet when clutch engaged was riding two upwhen failed in 4gh gear

Noise like tappets when box is in neutral that goes quiet when you pull the clutch lever is gearbox mainshaft.
Noise that happens when you pull the lever is clutch.

Sent somehow.

havnt told eddie yet

JJH the symptons are noisey clutch when not engaged and quite when clutch engaged was riding two upwhen failed in 4gh gear

Jjh all drive

Feck me, trying to get any sort meaningful of description of the "failure" is going to be like pulling teeth.

What noise does it make when in gear ?
In neutral ?
Can you push the bike when in gear ?
Can you not push the bike when in gear ? ..
What noise does it make while pushing it in or out of gear ?
Can you change gear normally with the engine running ?

If it's the input shaft/clutch splines that have caused the problem than it's not such a big deal to fix. New clutch plate and a used input shaft. Job done.

BHT it has a lot do with the wife she holds all the money bike not yet in bits but been told is the main shaft and clutch
so im going to be a good boy this weekend because i think im going to require £1500

Steptoe when in gear it rumbles in neutral still rumbles when cluch in it is not so noisey havnty tryed pushing it cant change gear when engine running very stif hope that helps

Steptoe when in gear it rumbles in neutral still rumbles when cluch in it is not so noisey havnty tryed pushing it cant change gear when engine running very stif hope that helps

I don't mean to sound rude but if you copy Steptoe's post and paste into a new post of your own, you can answer each question in turn. We will then have more idea of the problems.

If the gearbox is toast a good used box is under £500. A complete clutch is about the same but you may need only a friction plate at under £100. You might have a perfectly good clutch.

Sent somehow.

Back
Top Bottom