Desktop Won't Switch Off

dr nosh

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As the title really.

Windoze 10.

Left click on windows icon, bottom left of screen.

(Sometimes left click does not bring up the window, so have to right click to bring up),

>Power
>Shut down

Computer goes off after a few minutes....silence from the fan.

Go to bed :sleep:sleep:sleep

In the morning......computer is on :nenau:nenau

(Also happens during a day time shut down, so I know its not the computer fairies)

Is there a setting somewhere that I need to change?

It never used to do this, just recently.

Check the task manager and see if there is anything set to run and wake the pc. It is probably something trying to update probably windows itself.

The main on/off button on the case is usually the cheapest component in the whole system. Fixed a few now.

Pres and hold the on/off switch for quite a few seconds... until it dies. it should now be really off.
To make sure..... switch it off at the wal as well..

Pres and hold the on/off switch for quite a few seconds... until it dies. it should now be really off.
To make sure..... switch it off at the wal as well..
Bad idea, yes it completely shuts it down but it is crashing it and not shutting it down properly. One day it will not boot back up.

As the title really.

Windoze 10.

Left click on windows icon, bottom left of screen.

(Sometimes left click does not bring up the window, so have to right click to bring up),

>Power
>Shut down

Computer goes off after a few minutes....silence from the fan.

Go to bed :sleep:sleep:sleep

In the morning......computer is on :nenau:nenau

(Also happens during a day time shut down, so I know its not the computer fairies)

Is there a setting somewhere that I need to change?

It never used to do this, just recently.

Mine did similar a few weeks ago.
It turned out it was trying to do a system update.
Maybe yours is doing the same?

Mine did similar a few weeks ago.
It turned out it was trying to do a system update.
Maybe yours is doing the same?

If it's a Dell it prob has 'wake up' or switch on at a certain time set in the bios. Alternatively you could have a virus and your pic is turning on every morning to give your bank and credit card details away. Try running your anti virus or download free AVG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Free avg will put more malware on these days than it takes off lol. Malware bytes is the tool if you want to independently check for viruses.

If it's a Dell it prob has 'wake up' or switch on at a certain time set in the bios. Alternatively you could have a virus and your pic is turning on every morning to give your bank and credit card details away. Try running your anti virus or download free AVG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.
Definitely an update issue.

Bit defender for full time and malware bytes for an extra scan if you think you have something. If you have a lower end win 10 machine the stock windows defender does the job. Infact it does the job even if you have a high spec machine. Coupled with Windows firewall you won't go far wrong.

Back
Top Bottom