Camping or B&B?

Crash and Burn

Reaction score
I'm going for 3 weeks round the ol' Yugo countries in June (upped from 2- see earlier thread).

My main question is- is camping a good bet? Money is the main consideration, but I'm reading that there isn't much decent camping and that small B&Bs are better/ not much more money. Any truth to that?

Also, any suggestions for bits to avoid or 'must see' places?

Regards, Nick.

Not much camping when we were there 3 years ago. There's a moto camp in Hungry that's worth a couple of days if you're over there and we stayed at the odd Dutch site inland but they were more expensive than a cheap room - although you save money by cooking yourself. There's plenty on the coast. Next time we go we won't bother with camping gear - it's pretty cheap all round. Although we don't tend to go to coastal areas

If you enjoy living and also eating outdoors then you'll find plenty campsites but don't leave it too late as the majority of the eastern European sites close around the end of August, saying that you will still find larger sites open through September.
Get the ACSI large campsites book and also the ACSI small campsites app for your phone...and have a look here:

https://en.camping.info/

Some of the camping is basic (drop toilets & no hot water) in places like Romania but it all adds to the experience :D
However, if you ain't the camping type (like many on this forum) then there are plenty of cheap, clean hotels and hostels around...depends on your outlook really.

I love riding through the Balkan countries (as does my partner as pillion) and we have had nothing but positive camping experiences...be doing the same in Greece, Albania & Kosovo later this year. Enjoy.

Another vote here for not bothering taking a tent, unless you really want to feel like you're at one with nature. Camping doesn't really seem to mean camping out that way anyway. You're looking at facilities for motorhomes, or huts with beds and electricity, which are cheap as chips and way comfier than a tent.

A couple of years ago four of us paid a fiver a night each for beds in huts in Hungary and Romania and small apartments in Bulgaria. We splashed some cash for a decent hotel (50 euros a room, woo!) in Bosnia, but only because it was tipping down, and in Serbia we pretty much ended up camping in someone's front garden, for which we paid 25 quid including 20 bottles of beer and a load of bread rolls.

Back
Top Bottom