GS 1150 rear suspension

StillWaters

Reaction score
I have recently got a GS 1150 (2002) which in the main I like. However the rear suspension is harsh in that you feel every minor blemish/white line in the road. Is this normal?
I've adjusted the spring preload but to no effect regarding the harshness/lack of compliance.

Any thoughts/suggestion are welcome.

Time for a full check

Starting with paralever and swing arm bearings Shock absorber bushes for play before you delve
Into the shock security settings and condition
Good luck

Try adjusting the rebound too.

I've recently refitted a virtually new rear OEM shock to my bike which generally has an Ohlins, the difference is erm .... shocking :D ie. harsh by comparison.

I've checked all the relevant bushings and detected no play. The shock has no oil leaks or visible damage. I've backed the preload off and reduced the rebound damping - with minimal improvement.

Therefore I've come to the conclusion that the standard shock absorber doesn't - absorb shocks, that is.

Disappointing, this must be the crudest rear suspension I've ever ridden.

Any recommendations re solutions welcome.

(Alternative BMW components? Wilbers? Ohlins?)

I have an Ohlins for sale. Needs a clean up but could be what you need.

PM me if you're interested.

I've checked all the relevant bushings and detected no play. The shock has no oil leaks or visible damage. I've backed the preload off and reduced the rebound damping - with minimal improvement.

Therefore I've come to the conclusion that the standard shock absorber doesn't - absorb shocks, that is.

Disappointing, this must be the crudest rear suspension I've ever ridden.

Any recommendations re solutions welcome.

(Alternative BMW components? Wilbers? Ohlins?)

In the past I found the standard shock to 'go off' at around 20k miles, you could buy the Ohlins mentioned and budget for an overhaul on it. ( you won't be disappointed as it transforms a GS), unlike most bikes even though I also have Ohlins on the front, it's the rear which make the big difference.

I have an Ohlins for sale. Needs a clean up but could be what you need.

PM me if you're interested.
Apart from looking a bit tatty on the spring this shock is Aok,
The bike had only done 20k ,tufty also had the stock shock which certainly wasn't new,split the mileage,,,,hmmmm
£20 squid to powder the spring,budget to service it next year.its an ohlins:blast

The original shock wasn't great but nor was it as bad as yours sounds. I'd disconnect the shock and make sure the swing arm moves smoothly and easily.

http://firefoxracing.co.uk/

If you're buying the Ohlins and depending where you are in North Yorks - this Keighley company come highly recommended.

Had them service my Ohlins for the 1150 over the years and they are very, very good - last service cost £100.

What are your tyres like, and what make? I used to get the exact symptoms you describe on my 1100GS, on original Tourance tyres, once they got below about half worn. The more they wore the worse it got. But I didn't realise it was the tyres, and like you started pratting about with the shock. I was amazed when I fitted new tyres...

Just a thought.

By the way, my current 1150RT is doing the same think on Battleaxe tyres. Time for some Road Attacks.

As you mentioned There are a few aftermarket names ohlins wilburs etc
If you haven't got sorted I will have an rear Ohlins
(just being serviced and rebuilt) coming up for sale.

If I'm honest I find my 60,000km 2002 bike pretty stiff/unyielding too. I gather they're the original shocks, so possibly (probably?) in need of attention/replacing, though tbh as this this the only GS I've ridden, it could well be the case that "they're all like that Sir", and I just need to HTFU.

What route for a man on a budget? Wilbers EcoLine? YSS?

In advance of a Europe trip next year, I'll be getting a bit done with the bike, and I've planned replacement shocks as part of that prep. Might look at getting that done sooner than later.

Trouble is that the bike probably comes with a rear shock set up to carry the maximum load of a large rider with large pillion and a full set of loaded luggage.

I use my R1150GS off road and the rear end was solid. I got Hagon in Essex to fit an Ohlins spring (which suited my weight riding solo) to the original shock and it transformed the rear end. They had to make up and fit an aluminium spacer to make it work.

Trouble is that the bike probably comes with a rear shock set up to carry the maximum load of a large rider with large pillion and a full set of loaded luggage.

I use my R1150GS off road and the rear end was solid. I got Hagon in Essex to fit an Ohlins spring (which suited my weight riding solo) to the original shock and it transformed the rear end. They had to make up and fit an aluminium spacer to make it work.

Interesting comment about the spring rate - other manufacturers seem able to spec a suspension with adequate range for single and two up riding.
Maybe they're assuming BMW panniers are full to the brim with Starbucks? ;0)

Rebound should be backed off too. Has a big effect on handling too. Turn it all down low and sneek it uour until your happy. Then buy a hyoerpro

Back
Top Bottom