Picos....recommendations please.

We stayed in Ribbedesella last year and will be doing so again

It is a quaint old world sort of Spanish sea side town ( a bit like Bridlington but better) It is a nice ride from there into the mountains and some good days of 200 miles + can be had.

Its an easy ride from Santander and all in all a great base

Now that's interesting, what do they offer over the other maps ??

As its name suggests, a change in the detail level over perhaps a smaller area. Maps are personal things, what suits one bod and one purpose might well not suit another bod or suit a different purpose.

My suggestion would be to buy a decent standard map at a readonable level of detail, covering a reasonably broad area of your intended total holiday. Then I'd maybe buy just one Zoom map of the main area you intend to ride about in. If you like it or find it useful, you can almost certainly pick up another area's Zoom map whilst you are there. Similarly, you might find some local map companies' maps in Spain, that are not so easily available here in the UK. If you do and you like them, buy one. Maps are cheap, after all.

If you download the FREE ViaMichelin app you'll get an easily zoomable map, right down to a pretty good local level. Will it have every goat track? No. Do you need every goat track? If yes, hunt out a map that suits you.

The FREE Michelin Travel app is also quite handy, too

As its name suggests, a change in the detail level over perhaps a smaller area. Maps are personal things, what suits one bod and one purpose might well not suit another bod or suit a different purpose.

My suggestion would be to buy a decent standard map at a readonable level of detail, covering a reasonably broad area of your intended total holiday. Then I'd maybe buy just one Zoom map of the main area you intend to ride about in. If you like it or find it useful, you can almost certainly pick up another area's Zoom map whilst you are there. Similarly, you might find some local map companies' maps in Spain, that are not so easily available here in the UK. If you do and you like them, buy one. Maps are cheap, after all.

If you download the FREE ViaMichelin app you'll get an easily zoomable map, right down to a pretty good local level. Will it have every goat track? No. Do you need every goat track? If yes, hunt out a map that suits you.

The FREE Michelin Travel app is also quite handy, too

Very well said Wapping. FYO Cabby the Zoom maps have more information for sightseeing, historic places, viewpoints, etc. as well as icons for most of the camp sites that are placed where they actually are located, as opposed to being plonked next to the village in whose municipal 'territory' - which can be huge! Note that in the Pyrenees editions the French campsites aren't included, possibly because there are so many!

Talking of goat tracks, trails, etc. bear in mind that in Cantabria trail riding is all but prohibited, not just in the Picos national park ...

Coming back to Riaño. This must e one of the most controversial locations in bike travel in Spain! I'm sure that if it were possible to do a statistical analysis it would be the most 'hits' - second only to Andorra perhaps (see the other topic for that1) - and further investigation would reveal about a 50:50 split between those who think it's an ace place to stay and those who think it's s****!

Why, well the obvious is that it's pretty darned ugly. This is because the original town, which was actually quite a 'town' rather than a village, was flooded in the gigantic reservoir scheme in the 1980's, along with six or seven other villages, and a complete new town was built above the water line and the inhabitants of all of the villages were relocated there. This folks who like their villages 'twee' will be sadly disappointed by present day Riaño.

screen-shot-2017-03-12-at-06-56-35.png

Riaño cerca 1994, courtesy of Wikipedia

In general the positive comments about the place focus on the friendliness of the people, the good value accommodation and the great food and drink - it's also at a useful 'hub' for route planning. When I was thinking about this overnight I was put in mind of similar scenarios where by and large the people benefitted considerably in material terms - Mrs S's degree thesis was based on a case study on one of these, a 'town' called Aramunt, which although not submerged lost most of its land under the waters of Lake (sic) Sant Antonio near Tremp, where we now live - and there are many more, including, somewhat surprisingly, Belchite - and other less well known places - where a sumptuous new town was built alongside the ruins of the original that was destroyed during the Civil War*.

But it's not quite as simple as that. Take a look at the Spanish entry for Riaño in Wikipedia and compare it with the English version and a fuller story emerges. The project caused considerable outcry, including vandalism, suicides, and big protests and for a while even the military had to take over for a while - pretty heavy stuff in the most decade after Franco and the so-called** 'transition' to democracy! Less dramatically there were always winners and losers; in the case of Aramunt some landowners got 'new' irrigated terrain gifted to them while others were left without a bean - and thus departed to Barcelona and beyond, often making fortunes and now thier descendants are building f**-off second homes nearby (see below).

Back at Riaño, all that is history now and looking at the demography the population has continued to be fairly stable during the decades after a diaspora following the so reading between the lines a bit i suppose those that stayed were the ones who did well by the deal, either benefiting from improvement grants or being directly employed by the hydroelectric scheme - where the pay is great! - and the hotel/tourism sector will certainly have done quite well thanks to the improved infrastructure and the needs of the project itself during construction - so maybe that's why the welcome is so warm?

Widening the topic out a little. A lot of folks say that Potes, the other main base for exploring the Picos, is too 'touristy'. Well, it is, but in the same way that places like Kendall - my UK geography may be letting me down here! - is in relation to the Lake District. Yes, it's go it's slightly tacky side - and for those who've not been to Spain, the 'Costas' are something totally different***, Spain as a whole is just fantastic! - but in general it's a 'real' town servicing a real' population. And in fact riding around the Picos I often feel that the smaller villages really are too 'twee', complete with over pretty second home developments that crassly imitate the local architecture - the same thing happens in the higher valley's of the Pyrenees - and although there's no such thing as 'biker un-friendly' in Spain the inhabitants of a lot of these types of places, with their Chelsea tractors gleaming on tier immaculate driveways, certainly look down there noses at us guirris!

Phew, I'm beginning to wish I hadn't started this!

Regs

Simon
* it's well worth taking some time to stroll around the new town while you're waiting to go on the guided tour of Belchite's ruined quarter (it's controlled access now)
** some would say there is still no 'democracy' in Spain - I keep my trap shut in public on that subject!!!
*** and not all of the 'Costas' resorts are crap - I rather like Benidorm and shed loads of folks here seem to have villas in or near Denia - and don't forget the historic cities up and down the coast, including Tarragona, where I also live and am writing this now, within the Roman walls that surround the old city ...

The Spanish Biker, Thanks for the history lesson, most welcome. :beerjug::beerjug:, and also would agree with what you have said about Potes and Riaño, we stopped at both last year.

Youncan always have a gander at places using streetview on google earth. It works for Spain as well!

Indeed it does, amazing cover actually! Here's the front door of my holiday cottage - way out in the back of beyond in the Pyrenees!

screen-shot-2017-03-12-at-16-43-35.png

Regs

Simon

Cut long story short ... as long as the weather will be "on your side" i am sure PICOS de EUROPA will positively surprise you.
That's what i've done in PICOS before moved to Pyrenees area (apologies for such a quality map, was in rush at the time).

aeropPicos (mapa Picos) edycja.jpgIMG_0872.jpgIMG_0871.jpgIMG_0880.jpgIMG_0891.JPG

Further images

Attachments

• IMG_0893.jpg
    IMG_0893.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_0898.JPG
    IMG_0898.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_4825.jpg
    IMG_4825.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 573
  • IMG_4898.jpg
    IMG_4898.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 574
  • IMG_4909.jpg
    IMG_4909.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 568
and the last part

Attachments

• IMG_4835.jpg
    IMG_4835.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 593
  • IMG_0870.jpg
    IMG_0870.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_4950.JPG
    IMG_4950.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 590
  • IMG_4920.jpg
    IMG_4920.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 584
  • IMG_4922.jpg
    IMG_4922.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 597
Hope it helps to make a decision
I have some notes (roads to recommend) .... if u want

Images you see are from November - 4 months ago (11 days total)
PICOS was amazing, as well as Andorra and Pyrenees (obviously) but i was literally freezing to death when climbing up the passes.

Good luck

Great pics Kato 77 brings back great memories last week of Oct last year. Love the Picos and anyone going surely cannot be disappointed.

As Wonky says great pics. It really is fabulous biking country.........Thanks for posting.

Last year there was a discount code for Michelin maps ( i bought quite a few) - anyone know if there is a current valid discount code????

Last year there was a discount code for Michelin maps ( i bought quite a few) - anyone know if there is a current valid discount code????

Don't know about discounts as such but the Book Depository delivers free - important for me living in Spain - and has a few pence off some titles.

In general for books they have big discounts and I thin sometimes they do on maps too.

Regs

Simon

For those who haven't yet 'done' the Picos de Europa ( Europe's Peak District ) here's the video, centring on the fab village of Caín - pronounced Ka-EEN
From Santander, take the main A-8 motorway westwards for many kilometres and peel off at Junction J.272.
Cross 2 r/abouts south under motorway and onto the fab riverside route of the N-621. Follow N-621 all along the river to PANES
Continue along N-621 to POTES & Portilla de la Reina and then look for the little sign pointing to Caín over the mountain. Make sure you plan the route carefully using a "Zoom" map of the area published by the little fat guy from France, making sure you arrive at Caín in time before it goes dark. But also book well in advance at the Restaurant Casa Cuevas to enjoy the best home-grown egg'n'bacon breakfast you've EVER tasted.
If you decide to march the elevated walkway from Caín to Poncebos, remember it's a good smart ninety-minute hike each way, except for when you're in the sections where you're cowering pressed flat up against the rockface on the one-meter wide path with a 300 meter drop at the edge. Not for the faint hearted. The only consolation is when you have to squeeze past the many Spanish hiking girlies coming the other way - all as fit as fiddles and travelling at 3 times your snail's pace - which reminds me of the old Max Miller joke that got past the "Workers' Playtime" radio producer back in 1953 and went out live - "I didn't know whether to let her past or block her passage.." Whereupon all the factory girls in the live audience all fell about laughing for 30 seconds and the producer - my old boss - was carpeted next day.

https://vimeo.com/190066422

AL in s.e. Spain

Last edited:
Well been and gone. Did 3 days in the Picos and the roads were fantastic, just the a pity the weather didn't match it :rolleyes:

I'd say the Potes to San Glorio road rivals any pass I've done anywhere, was just a pity I did it descending from San Glorio not ascending from Potes. The whole area I'd say matches the Pyrenees for quality of roads but maybe not quite the scenery but fantastic all the same.

Back
Top Bottom