Picos....recommendations please.

Deleted account 220319001

Reaction score
Seriously considering the Picos this year, but having never been I'm looking for some recommendations on good route and roads, lets be having them.....please :thumb

Read reports written this year!

Seriously considering the Picos this year, but having never been I'm looking for some recommendations on good route and roads, lets be having them.....please :thumb

A lot of information has been put on here this year about The Picos! I have been through them 6 times now, starting 15 years ago! Take your time and read them, seriously a lot of good information. Go for it, fantastic area, underestimated by so many! It's not as good as Norway, the weather is more reliable and it's cheaper. I really enjoy "real Spain".

What Wappers said.

I did this trip a couple of years ago using Ride magazine's routes. Very good indeed......... In fact, we are doing it again this year.

As I often say, just buy the Michelin map and plan your routes linking the roads that have the green band alonside them. These signify the scenic roads. There is some wonderful scenery between the ferries and Los Picos if you head South a few miles before you head West. It would be difficult to find a boring road within the Picos area!

If you are going to "tour" through the Picos do as is suggested above

If you are going to have a base hotel for your trip get the maps out, and then plot some circular 200 mile a day routes. by looking through old threads on here you will see places bods have recommended and build those in.

Otherwise use what is available on Ride mag routes etc or drop me a PM with your E mail and i can send you some GPX routes of what i did last year and intend to do again this year

RiDE magazine's Picos Tour, if you want it done for you.

A map, some time spent on here and / or on other websites and some imagination, if you don't.

Got a link, mate? Natch, mate:

http://www.ride.co.uk/routes-1/the-ride-guide-to-spain Free to download and use, which is nice.

Thank you Richard.

If I can sneak a plug into this august forum - you can still get the stories behind the routes here - republished in the Guide to Europe Second Edition as the original Spain guide is all gone

Although the roads in the vicinity are great, it is worth pointing out that Riano itself is shite. The only place we came across in two weeks that was soulless. Luckily we didn't actually stay overnight.

Although the roads in the vicinity are great, it is worth pointing out that Riano itself is shite. The only place we came across in two weeks that was soulless. Luckily we didn't actually stay overnight.
Beg to differ, we stopped there on our way back up from Portugal last year. Great hotel and the cafe/biker bar in the plaza had a 20 year celebration going on - live music loads of free tapas - a great night. Maybe we were just lucky........

Beg to differ, we stopped there on our way back up from Portugal last year. Great hotel and the cafe/biker bar in the plaza had a 20 year celebration going on - live music loads of free tapas - a great night. Maybe we were just lucky........
:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2

Not sure what the ????? Is about simply saying we stopped there and in the modern plaza area - see previous post.

There again on that trip we also stopped in Ribadeo when they were celebrating Ribadeo day which is when many of the locals set sail for the Americas 100 or so years ago. The previous year we were stopped to let the Tour de France peloton go through a town and on the same day landed in Bergerac on bastille day just in time to see all the fireworks.

Like I said maybe we're just lucky.

We enjoyed getting to Rianno last September but when we arrived it appeared to be closed. We had planned to camp there but as it was gettingery windy and nothingwas open we went on to Leon.

We normally take an iPad along for booking hotels etc, you can also download the via Michelin app which clearly shows the scenic routes marked green. From our experience if you follow any of the scenic routes you'll enjoy yourself.

Back
Top Bottom