Picos....recommendations please.

weather is very hit and miss in the Pecos
Was ok when i was there a week ago
looks like they had a dry summer though

Attachments

• P1040921.jpg
    P1040921.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 324
I'd say the Potes to San Glorio road rivals any pass I've done anywhere, was just a pity I did it descending from San Glorio not ascending from Potes.

Hi, what is the road number, thanks

It's the N-621 from Potes to Riano.

I would also recommend taking the turn off onto the LS-243 up to Posada de Valdeon and on to meet up with the N-625 which runs from Riano up to Cangas de Onis.
Some fantastic views, and roads, and Posada is a good place for a lunch or coffee break. Whereas Riano has nothing to offer, being a bit of a depressing town rebuilt in a ne location when the reservoir flooded the original town

Yes the 621. Though from Riano to San Glorio the surface is pretty cheap. I'd agree with the comments on Riano, there really is nothing there though it didn't help when I was the there it was grey and cold, Potes on the other hand is very vibrant.

We have ridden the N621, just wanted to make sure we hadn't missed another cracker :)

Or go further west and ride the deserted roads of Asturias. Even better than the Picos. The roads around Cangas de Narcea and Somiedo are stunning . The coastal villages /towns such as Luarca and Cudillero are also beautiful as is Tapia. Can't go wrong really ....

Or go further west and ride the deserted roads of Asturias. Even better than the Picos. The roads around Cangas de Narcea and Somiedo are stunning . The coastal villages /towns such as Luarca and Cudillero are also beautiful as is Tapia. Can't go wrong really ....

Absolutely right! Stunning roads, scenery and places. The Picos are great but not the be all and end all of 'Green Spain'!

Regs

Simon

As Frequent Flyer said, buy the two Michelin "Zoom" maps that cover Asturias and Cantabria. They are the most accurate and detailed and will allow you to find places like the excellent 'Casa Ricardo' in Sellaño where you can overnight VERY cheaply with some lovely folks the owners, and then take a short stroll down to the main road, turning left out of the property into the village to call in at the cider bar on the left after the road junction, to sample some of the fantastic imbibery of the region - all brewed in the back room of the bar from crab apples and served via that unusual fountain method into the glass - but stonkingly good for loosening the tongue and stopping one from being boring. And no bad head the morning after...

My recommended route from Santander port is to blast along the main A-8 for a boring hour or so to Junction 272, then peel off at the Unquera take-off to travel the fantastic scenic riverside route along the N-621 to the villages of Pots'n'Pans - in Spanish 'Panes y Potes'.
Then if you're really adventurous, make for the riverside village of Caín ( pron: Kah-EEN ) to leave the bike at the overnight Casa Cuevas digs in the village [ best egg'n'bacon breakfast you've ever tasted ] and walk the breathtaking, elevated 12Km route above the tumbling waters of the River Cares ( pron KAR-ess ) along to Poncebos. ( Ponn-THEBB-oss ).
You'll frequently gasp in amazement and terror...

My vid :-

www.vimeo.com/190066422

Al in s.e. Spain

Last edited:
We did about 400m of the Cares walk before the wifes vertigo took over. Pity, I enjoy a spot of trout spotting.

Back
Top Bottom