PROJECT DONKEY

took the pump out of the tank today, the tank was full of crap floating about, dosen't look like the liner but plenty of other bits
in there:eek:

took the pump out of the tank today, the tank was full of crap floating about, dosen't look like the liner but plenty of other bits
in there:eek:

New fuel filter for sure then.
Have a close look at the big round seal, if no damage you might get away with re-using it ok.

New fuel filter for sure then.
Have a close look at the big round seal, if no damage you might get away with re-using it ok.

i have a new seal in the service kit i bought from motobins. and ideal what i could use to wash the tank out?

Fresh petrol?

That way you know there'd wouldn't be another contaminant in there

Mart

Fresh petrol?

That way you know there'd wouldn't be another contaminant in there

Mart

Kabooom:D
Seriously,if you have ever seen a petrol fire you wouldn't be recommending this.:eek:
Remove the pump mounting plate and the filler cap/neck etc,
Just gently pressure wash it out,
You can then mop up excess water though the pump aperture,and pop in the sun or somewhere warm to dry.
If the red painted liner is flaking off you will need to be a bit more aggressive with the cleaning,I use high pressure steam to remove the old lining paint if it's really shoddy.
Incidentally if the pump mounting studs shear off,don't panic they can be replaced:thumb

We had a petrol fire in the pit when I was an apprentice, fecking scary and one man badly hurt.

Why would there be a fire risk if all he does is use a half litre or so of clean fuel to swill out the tank, pour it through a pair of his wife's/partners finest tights into a jug to remove the large pieces of rubbish and repeat until no more big lumps come out of the tank? Give the tights a thorough shake to get any bits out of them and put them back where you got them from. Use another half litre of clean fuel to do a final rinse of the tank.

If the internal coating is OK will it really need anything more?

Kabooom:D
Seriously,if you have ever seen a petrol fire you wouldn't be recommending this.:eek:
Remove the pump mounting plate and the filler cap/neck etc,
Just gently pressure wash it out,
You can then mop up excess water though the pump aperture,and pop in the sun or somewhere warm to dry.
If the red painted liner is flaking off you will need to be a bit more aggressive with the cleaning,I use high pressure steam to remove the old lining paint if it's really shoddy.
Incidentally if the pump mounting studs shear off,don't panic they can be replaced:thumb

the liner looks ok well what i can see anyway, there is a small wrinkle that i can see but its not holed, dont know how long the liner will last or should i try and remove it as you said with hi pressure washer

so went to main dealer today and ordered a new steering lock barrel that should arrive matched to my original key, well thats what iam hoping :D

Why would there be a fire risk if all he does is use a half litre or so of clean fuel to swill out the tank

What a stupid thing to say,
I feel sure that the many people maimed or badly burned through fucking about with petrol thought they were far to clever to have an accident,
Why risk it???

What a stupid thing to say,
I feel sure that the many people maimed or badly burned through fucking about with petrol thought they were far to clever to have an accident,
Why risk it???

Sorry, I'm with Packer. If you make sure it does not go on fire where is the issue? By that logic it's a disaster waiting to happen by emptying the tank in the first place.

Thus the Op should not remove the tank, empty the fuel therin contained or even dispose of it. Yes, stress the dangers and recommend the best way to clean it but hysterical would be the word I'd use to describe some of the responses above.

thanks to all those concerned about my tank clean:D i will of course carry out a proper risk assessment prior to any process :thumby:

Best just carry on then,
What do I know about such things:D

Seriously. I'd like you explain the in's and out's of it and I'm not questioning whether burning petrol unexpectedly is fucking lethal. Maybe I've missed something in the thread but if it's done out doors what's the issue?! Just not good practice?

Edit. I would like to quantify this by saying that I have not taken into account that the tank will be off the bike on a restoration project for a while and consequently leaving petrol in the open tank sitting round is a really bad idea!!!!

Seriously. I'd like you explain the in's and out's of it.

Just because yourself and packer feel confident to safely drain and store petrol,and clean out said tank ,again using petrol,it does not for one moment make the process safe for another ,whose working practices you know nothing about,
I am definitely not hysterical about anything,not a fuck is given!
I just think the advice is poor advice.
You don't know if the op will be swilling the tank into a bucket with a lit paraffin heater two feet away,as I said you know nothing.
If advice is to be offered ,at least offer advice that is not potentially lethal if some idiot follows it.
Is that a reasonable explanation,
Or am I just talking rubbish?
Edit ,,I see SOB has edited his replies in the time taken typing this

Perfectly reasonable. Thanks for the reply. Whilst you were scribbling away I was diluting my post ... see edit above.

There really are not idiots that bad out there are there? I don't trust myself with a scissors but I have some common sense. Parafin heater? Near petrol? Are you mad?!!!!!

Although you may well feel that I am hysterical in my replies ,I did once have to fight a fire which was started by a grinding spark onto some spilt diesel,two workers doing different jobs in close proximity to one another,unfortunately in the area where the fire flared up was 50 litres of petrol in jerry cans,so you are attacking a fire with a fire extinguisher knowing damn well that if the petrol catches everyone in the building is likely to be burned to death,
Best case would be the loss of the building and £150,000 of cars in said building.
Worst case would have been 6 dead,
But what do I know?

Back
Top Bottom