Moana

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
5th March 2017

I sleep well - this was a good choice of motel and I'll stay here again if I'm up this way before I go...

I shower and get dressed, pack the bike and I'm on the road at about 0910...

IMG_4324-X3.jpg

Bettie immediately starts steering me down some small back roads - presumably the most direct route towards Arthur's Pass, which I will be revisiting today...

IMG_4327-X3.jpg

It's beautiful, cloudless morning, 60°F and with a dry wind from the right...

IMG_4328-X3.jpg

I join the Inland Scenic Route - I notice some wag has amended the sign at the town of Cust...
biggrin.gif

IMG_4330-X3.jpg

This monster was parked on the right - anyone care to guess make/model/year?

IMG_4331-X3.jpg

The wind has picked up and is becoming gusty. The hills ahead are beautiful in the crystal clear air...

IMG_4334-X3.jpg

This old girl was advertising something or other in the town of Oxford.

IMG_4333-X3.jpg

I noticed the owner has remained brand loyal with her choice of new car...

IMG_4337-X3.jpg

I stop just outside town at the bridge over the Waimakariri River...

IMG_4343-X3.jpg

...to take a couple of snaps, then saddle up and move on...

IMG_4346-X3.jpg

It's a sunny Sunday - there are lots of bikes about...

IMG_4348-X3.jpg

I've had nothing to eat since my vast steak brunch yesterday, so feel it might be time for a spot of breakfast...

IMG_4351-X3.jpg

This place in Springfield looked about right. The middle-aged woman behind the counter was clearly not having a good day. She was abrupt to the point of incivility, so I ordered my meal and a coffee and sat down to wait...

IMG_4353-X3.jpg

When it arrives, it is hot and well cooked - and the chef who delivers it to the table is very pleasant. I'm guessing that the middle-aged woman has difficulty dealing with stress. She should maybe look for another line of work...

IMG_4359-X3.jpg

This ageing gent was sheltering in the lea of the house next door - any guesses?

IMG_4354-X3.jpg

On the subject of ageing gents...
tongue.gif

IMG_4357-X3.jpg

...Trevor turns up on his venerable Ariel Square 4...

IMG_4358-X3.jpg

He's had it "forever" and rides it every week. It's a working bike that bears witness to every mile it has travelled. THIS is how classic bikes should look, in my opinion - not better than when they rolled off the production line...

IMG_4356-X3.jpg

I ask how it is to ride.

"Like a fucking brick - there's no comfort or finesse to it"
yelrotflmao.gif

IMG_4366-X3.jpg

Onward!

IMG_4373-X3.jpg

I start to climb into the hills - last time I did this it was drizzling and traffic was relatively heavy...

IMG_4375-X3.jpg

Not today.

IMG_4376-X3.jpg

Today visibility is unlimited and the sky is cloudless...

IMG_4382-X3.jpg

I keep up a comfortable 100-105kph...

IMG_4387-X3.jpg

...being mindful that I will be an easy target for any motivated Highway Patrol officer...

IMG_4390-X3.jpg

...but I don't encounter one the whole day...

IMG_4392-X3.jpg

I seem to remember posting something about the grey weather adding something to the landscape, making it moody or something...

IMG_4398-X3.jpg

Forget that - I was writing complete bollocks - this is much better weather to ride this road in...

IMG_4401-X3.jpg

I mean, what was I thinking?

IMG_4404-X3.jpg

The temperature has dropped a little - not on the thermometer, but the wind chill has become a factor - I zip my vents up...

IMG_4408-X3.jpg

There's virtually no traffic...

IMG_4411-X3.jpg

...the Adv is bumbling along quite happily...

IMG_4417-X3.jpg

...and life feels pretty damn good...

IMG_4422-X3.jpg

I stop and take some pictures for the desktop at work (because knowing my colleagues are reading this now is really satisfying, but I must have some means of being able to rub it in when I get back
lol8.gif
)

IMG_4427-X3.jpg

Right - onward!

IMG_4432-X3.jpg

I've not got far to go today. I have decided to have a day off the bike tomorrow and have booked a couple of nights at a place in Moana. I was going to stay there for my birthday and the day after, but a Hotels.com booking error meant I had to book somewhere else at the last minute - which meant I spent a couple of miserable days at the ghastly Breeze Motel in Greymouth instead (involuntary shudder passes down spine)...

IMG_4434-X3.jpg

The trouble with polishing the visor is that the reflection of the camera shows up in it too clearly, dammit...

IMG_4444-X3.jpg

Hmm - how about taking one from the side...

IMG_4447-X3.jpg

That's the ticket!
biggrin.gif

IMG_4453-X3.jpg

In the far distance, I can see that the mountaintops are wreathed in cloud...

IMG_4455-X3.jpg

...and some of them have snowy peaks - which I am pretty sure they didn't the other day...

IMG_4461-X3.jpg

...so I suppose the change of seasons is just around the corner...

IMG_4464-X3.jpg

...though thankfully not this corner - it's still late summer...

IMG_4466-X3.jpg

This heavy truck passes me - the blast of heat from it as it lumbered up the hill was really noticeable - I wonder how long it takes to go across the island in one of these...

IMG_4478-X3.jpg

Yes, I know - who cares?
wink.gif

IMG_4483-X3.jpg

It looks like I'm going to be under some cloud cover as I clear the mountains to the west...

IMG_4485-X3.jpg

...as I can see them peeking at me through the gap I'm aiming for...

IMG_4496-X3.jpg

Yep - there they are...

IMG_4502-X3.jpg

I pull into an overlook, but am a little less than whelmed by the view...

IMG_4505-X3.jpg

The camera actually tries to use flash on this picture...
doh.gif

IMG_4512-X3.jpg

I continue the long, slow descent alongside the Taramakau River...

IMG_4514-X3.jpg

Didn't think you were going to avoid getting a bridge pic, did you?

IMG_4518-X3.jpg

This team of sports-bikes came howling up the valley - they're going to have fun all the way...
thumb2.gif

Ultimately, I am turned right onto the Brunner Lake Tourist Road, which starts as a completely over-gravelled sealed road...

IMG_4524-X3.jpg

...which was not in any way pleasant to ride...

IMG_4526-X3.jpg

It has clouded over as expected, and the temperature is back down to 62°F, but there's no feel of rain in the air...

IMG_4527-X3.jpg

I take a very slow mooch along here - not far to go now...

IMG_4528-X3.jpg

I arrive at the hotel at about 1245 (which is a bit early), but am made immediately welcome by Stacey and Craig. I'm shown to my compact, but beautifully appointed room...

IMG_4531-X3.jpg

...with a view over their nine-hole golf course, which I can play for free if I want to.

IMG_4533-X3.jpg

They'll even...

IMG_4534-X3.jpg

...loan me some bats.

I decline - and unload my stuff from the bike (which gets to stay in Stacey and Craig's garage tonight and tomorrow
thumb2.gif
), and then start uploading today's 200 pics on their (acceptably fast) Wi-Fi.

I am having a day off the bike tomorrow - doing some planning on where I want to be and when for the rest of this week.

But what a great day...

IMG_4430-X3.jpg

Another stunning day, Mike... enjoy the day off the bike. Take up the offer of 9 holes :beer:

Good one Mike :thumb

The Ariel Square Four ... I posted on the other thread where there was one in the museum you visited. Bought one of these for £25 (very early 70's maybe) and rode it home. Moved police house, as we did in those days, to one without a garage. Sold it to a pal for £25 and he still has it to this day, in the same cardboard boxes :eek:

Yes, they were like a brick to ride :rob

:beerjug:

Attachments

• IMG_4356-X3.jpg
    IMG_4356-X3.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 536
Fantastic day.

Jealous, moi? :p

Your breakfast may have been well cooked, but it looked a bit 'thrown' on the plate.

breakfast

loving the ride report Mike and I am really jealous but Lord God how do you suffer the "full Irish" so often?
Safe onward trip.

6th March 2017

I sleep really well. This is a nice place to stay...

IMG_4555-X3.jpg

Infinitely preferable to the hovel I actually spent my birthday in in Greymouth
bluduh.gif
. I make myself a cafetière of coffee (called - accurately, if inelegantly - 'plunger coffee' here), ablute, dress and open the curtains to...

IMG_4543-X3.jpg

...a cool, overcast and rather humid morning.

As the Adv has had the luxury of a garage...

IMG_4556-X3.jpg

...to live in, I decide to do a little maintenance...

IMG_4540-X3.jpg

One of my 'notice' lights, that come on with the dipped beam, has gone out. When I noticed it a few days ago it was an intermittent fault, which gives me some hope that it might just be a loose connection. If so, tracking it down should be relatively simple, as both lights are fed from the same power supply.

IMG_4538-X3.jpg

I carry a fairly extensive toolkit, so open up and get ready to get to work (sorry about the pic quality - only just uploaded it and I'm not going to unpack the tools again to re-shoot
biggrin.gif
)...

IMG_4539-X3.jpg

I soon have the cockpit trim off, have cut through the cable ties and have the wiring exposed. Unfortunately, it seems I am getting 12v to the lamp and it is the lamp that has failed. As a belt and braces check I swap the wiring to the other lamp and it works correctly. These are great little lamps when they work, but have proved to be extremely unreliable in practical use. I have a different type of lamp, complete with custom brackets (thanks Chad
thumb2.gif
) at home ready to fit. I would have fitted them before I came out, but in the chaos of the garage extension project, I couldn't find the brackets
lol8.gif

Hey ho. I re-cable tie everything back in place, marking the offending wiring with yellow insulating tape (I always carry a roll of yellow tape with me when travelling and only use it when on the road - that way it makes it easy to find an area to repair when you get home. Not a huge issue on a simple problem like this, but it can be handy and time saving if it's more complicated).

I finish my second cup of coffee, do a final check to ensure I have not broken the first Hippocratian rule of bike fettling - "First, do no harm"...

IMG_4541-X3.jpg

No - all works as it did
thumb2.gif

I have a nose around the side of the garage and notice this old pensioner...

IMG_4557-X3.jpg

Not sure he'll be going anywhere soon...
tongue.gif

IMG_4559-X3.jpg

Still - never say never - I've seen members of ADVrider and UKGSer take on far worse looking projects...
cool_shades.gif

IMG_4565-X3.jpg

This flightless bird is called a Weka (pronounced Wicker) - apparently they will eat out of your hand...

I sit outside to load today's pics up and write my report...

IMG_4542-X3.jpg

Supervised by Max the cat...

IMG_4554-X3.jpg

Hi Mike loving the pics, I see you met the charming waitress in Springfield, Had the pleasure last year she treated us like we had shit on her living room carpet. she is possibly an Aussie.
Big bike rally coming soon in Waimate (nice town/people). Ian

Back
Top Bottom