Tyre valve pain in the bum

Gyp

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been covered before (it feels likely but my search mojo is failing me), but I'm really struggling to pump my tyres up at petrol stations.

Most of the air lines only make sufficient contact to deflate the tyre, so attempts to pump up the tyre typically leave me with dangerously low pressure rather than the intended pressure.

After 3 garages yesterday after which I was down to a wobbly 1.5 bar in the front (according to the flashing TPMS) I finally gave in and used the pump I have at home for my bicycle.

Does anyone have a tyre valve fix/extension that definitely works on the R1200R valves?

I have a small mains powered compressor which I use at home. Those powered by a 12 volt car/bike power supply are ok in Emergencys but frustrating slow.

Slow but oh so convenient, better than waiting for a van.

I carry a small compressor on tour, very handy Harry.

I can definitely use one of my many 12V compressors at home, but I'm hoping that something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162014814203

would suit when out and about (as it's usually after I've left home that I remember to do my pre-flight checks)

Are you certain the valve core is fully tightened?

It is difficult on the RS because you can't get a proper angle to press the valve straight down. I use a flexible valve extender at petrol stations to solve this problem.

why not get a 90 degree angle adapter

It is difficult on the RS because you can't get a proper angle to press the valve straight down. I use a flexible valve extender at petrol stations to solve this problem.
Are the RS wheels different to the R wheels? The R wheels have the valves angled directly outwards so the air line can go straight on.

why not get a 90 degree angle adapter

Because (I think) a 90 degree adapter would actually make it more difficult. I use one on my R80 and R65 where the valve points towards the hub (though I can't find the darned thing at the moment to try it on the R1200)

...as can be seen here...

71530.jpg

I have a couple of these, this is the shorter one the other is twice the length , perfect for hard to reach valves and easy to carry on the bike

Attachments

• 20170305_173615.jpg
    20170305_173615.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 289
So they're the same then, just up the spoke from the rim, pointing directly outwards.

Same as mine. I have only used a foot pump so far (without issue) but would have thought the angle would make them easier to use a forecourt air line

Same as mine. I have only used a foot pump so far (without issue) but would have thought the angle would make them easier to use a forecourt air line
The forecourt airlines go straight on and open the valve, but won't seal so the air comes out of the tyre.

Back
Top Bottom