Wild Camping - Bardenas Reales. Possible?

Padowan

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Amongst the many places the missus and I are planning to visit this summer on our 2-up camping tour is the Bardenas Reales. I've had a look at the routes around and through the place, and I was wondering if it's possible to wild camp somewhere in the desert? Don't mind going a bit under the radar if it's something that's simply frowned upon, but also don't want to get on the wrong side of the law if it's strictly prohibited...

Anyone done this, and could recommend an area to target, or if anyone has current info on how enforced any restriction is, that would be greatly appreciated.

If the tracks are even remotely damp the surfaces (decomposed limestone?) are very very hard work, especially two up or on a heavy bike, as the material sticks like **** to the tyres and has the grip of axle grease

Personally, I wouldn't try. It's a protected national park and it also has a military base in it. Good luck if you do, I don't reckon you would be there for long. There is a campsite just outside with far less chance of a truncheon to the noggin.

Agree with Melch above - the defined "allowed" tracks are clearly marked - the signs regarding straying off these are clear!!

The surrounding area is huge and very quiet... plenty of places to disappear should you desire...... it's also a very arid area, will be very hot in the summer...... i'd have though wild camping in this environment would be quite unpleasant....

I prefer leafy glades by babbling brooks myself.......

The Bardenes Reales is a natural park, which is a different animal altogether from a National park, also though in this case, like national parks, wild camping is totally forbidden, and there are frequent patrols and very few places to 'hide'. But it's worth being close by if only to get into the area early or late to take better photos.

The only nearby campings are the Camping Bardenas, which is basically a trailer park. Folks I've known have had crap nights there in the occasional vacant lot but with constant truck traffic more or less all night - truck avoid the tolls on the nearby motorway to drive right past the site.

The other camping that is close is at Ejea de los Caballeros, which is another holiday resort style site but does at least have dedicated plots, although they are covered in gravel for caravans so sleeping in a tent is uncomfortable, it's also prone to mosquito invasions from the lake that is part of the complex. But the general facilities are good and the people nice.

hiss2015a2.png

However the northern approach - to the Shepherd's monument above - passes through mixed woodland where you should be able to find a hidey hole. Although wild camping is technically prohibited anywhere in Aragon and Navarre you can argue that you are making bivouac as long as you pitch tetnt after 20.00 and are off, and I mean off, before 08.00 and that your tent is less that 1.2 metres tall.

There's also a shelter - really a covered BBQ - near the shepherd's monument and I've heard of people sleeping there, but once again, start late and leave early. The parks are patrolled by forest rangers who are usually OK if you show them respect and don't take the piss with wild fires, bottles of whisky, etc.

The points about the trails are well made, but it doesn't rain often ... it only takes a couple of hours* to go right through, if that, so unless you really want to get dawn or dusk photographs then it's probably just as good an idea to just include it in your route- A group of us did just that riding to the HISS a few years ago, starting way up in the Pyrenees at Ochagavia and getting to the HISS - knackered I have to admit! - all way down in Teruel at Terriente and going by back roads all the way ...

ibard12.jpg

ibard11.jpg

Regs

Simon
* it is technically possible to ride at over 100 kph on most of the trails as has been proven in actual tests - but do't ask me how I know this! :nono

If you're with your wife and fancy a break from camping I can recommend this place Hotel Acorna Del Reino LINKY in Ejea de los Caballeros.

It's family run, very old and reasonable and, well, lovely :)

Andres

That's great advice all, many thanks. I think we shall probably simply pass through in that case - we're in the Tentipi, so although sand-coloured, it's not really a little dinky easily hidden tent!

Assuming you'll be coming from the ferry ports a nice place to aim for would be the Camping Castillo de Lloarre There's a quick route via Ejea or a slow and very lovely route via Uncastillo - you have the choice when you reach the tarmac on the A-1201 and head SE to Sadaba - note that the trail reaches this road almost exactly on the frontier between Aragon and Navarre and it's easy to get lost among the several trails tat wander through the farmland there - so don't worry if you see the road signed as the NA-128, just head south-east. There's fuel at Sadaba but not much to eat. But in both cases you pass through Ayerbe where there is good shopping and some nice tapas bars ...

Regs

Simon

As Simon says, the A1202 to Ayerbe is a delight (but coffee in Uncastillo not Sos del Rey Catolico)- as is the Loarre castle up above the campsite

From Ayerbe the A132 and A1205 will take you through some cracking pre Pyrenean hills to the vulture feeding station and monastery in a cave at Santa Cruz de los Seros

As Simon says, the A1202 to Ayerbe is a delight (but coffee in Uncastillo not Sos del Rey Catolico)- as is the Loarre castle up above the campsite

From Ayerbe the A132 and A1205 will take you through some cracking pre Pyrenean hills to the vulture feeding station and monastery in a cave at Santa Cruz de los Seros

Don't be so down of Sos, yes, it's a touristy place but actually I'be never felt 'ripped off' and the architecture is something else ... but, yes, Uncastillo is great.

Moving on eastwards if you like the pre-Pyrenees try the A-1604 from the main N-330* trunk road - horrible - to Boltaña. Possibly the best road in the Pyrenees IMHO - buy with out for livestock!

Regs

Simon
* in this case the 'N' stands for National not Navarre - complicate dI know ...

IMO castle well worth a visit....there's trails you can ride there too which will eventually take you over towards Riglos

Back
Top Bottom