The Wife takes on Chlamydia. A South American Retrospective

Salta to Cachi and the start of the best bit of the Ruta 40 heading north

I really was glad to reach Salta, but sometimes a couple of very long slab liaison days need to be gotten out of the way to reach the good stuff. I did take some pictures in Salta, but seem to have put them somewhere safe... It was a fun city with a good vibe. A little bit off the main gringo tourist route. This added to the charm. I changed money on the "Blue" (=black) market

The Ruta Cuarenta is now paved all the way from Cafayate to Rio Gallegos, about 3500km. I'll be whingeing in a future post about how boring that made it. However the northern 1500km to the Bolivian border is still superbly dirt. And great "out there" scenery. And as I didn't ride this bit in 00/01 made it even more special.

DSC_0001wayToCachi1.jpg~original

At first the road was still paved

DSC_0014.jpg~original

Interesting scenery

DSC_0009wayToCachi2.jpg~original

Yes it is

DSC_0016cachiTour1.jpg~original

Cachi is a pretty little village. A French GS tour was in town. I only spoke with one of the guides who seemed quite pleasant, but couldn't chat much as he had to get back to his customers. They must have been pretty needy. Or maybe it was because I wasn't wearing a shiny riding t-suit? 2 broken GSs on the backup truck

DSC_0025cachiTour2.jpg~original

GSs have been said to benefit from having a truck following them.... I wouldn't like to comment, other than to say that on my Millennium trip, a truck would have been helpful

cachiPortrait.jpg~original

On FB this picture got a lot of likes. Dunno why. Moobs?

DSC_0037postPuncture1.jpg~original

About 80 clicks out of Cachi on the way north up the gravel Rta 40 I got a rear (slow) puncture. Luckily near a little village a couple of km off the trail. Pumped it up and headed there. The tyre wallah did a good job. I hate fixing punctures

DSC_0039postPuncture2.jpg~original

Passing traffic

DSC_0040postPuncture3.jpg~original

Is that a scrambler, Mister?

the40_1.jpg~original

Not many signs (of anything) up here

the40_2.jpg~original

A sidetrack I would love to have explored. But having only passed about 5 vehicles all day, I didn't fancy my chances of getting myself out of trouble on my own.

A few more impression of Route 40 towards the border with Bolivia

cachiStreetDSC_0030.jpg~original

Forgot this picture of Cachi from the previous post. Muy bonito!

highpass1DSC_0045.jpg~original

Abra El Acay Pass. 16.000 feet above sea level

highPass2.jpg~original

And the machine says so too

highpass2DSC_0047.jpg~original

Breathtaking views! That’s the track I'm going to ride next

bridgeDSC_0052.jpg~original

Bridge over ravine just beyond La Poma

ravineDSC_0056.jpg~original

I’m sure a geographer can explain the rock formations

ravine2DSCN9927.jpg~original

More

campSpotDSCN9921.jpg~original

I wild camped over there for the night. My cheap Brazilian camping stove turned out to be utter sh!te

quoVadisDSCN9914.jpg~original

Let’s go left then

fuelStopDSCN9907.jpg~original

Fuel stop where the R40 crosses the main paved linking northern Chile (San Pedro de Atacama) with northern Argentina (Jujuy).

Stickers, the new caveman’s rock paintings?

Everyone who does a vehicle trip around South America these days seems to have stickers and loves leaving their mark. I (only v v briefly) felt guilt for not having any of my own to swap/stick somewhere. Then I got over it. I did however take to adding stickers to the bike in order to hide the Chlamydiac symptoms it was displaying. Beware though of jet washes!!

Shouldn't really take the p!ss out of people with personal stickers. I've got my name stuck to my crash helmet and on the bike a la Dakar racer. How embarrassing is it to have A positive as a blood type when your profession is school teacher. Why not B- (....must try harder)!

viewDSCN9903.jpg~original

Pretty good view

stickeredSignDSC_0051.jpg~original

Really useful street sign… Just as well that I had my gps!

borderDSCN9931.jpg~original

The border to Bolivia. I had just ridden the most fun 1500 or so km of the Rt 40. I tried riding the other 3500 or so too, but a closed pass from Chile to Argentina later in the trip thwarted my attempt. But as I did a lot of it in 2000/01, I have actually ridden all the rt 40. Maybe I should have stickers made?

Argentina border to Uyuni the first time

01welcomeToBol.jpg~original

Welcome to Bolivia. Much more, for me, the “real” South America. Unfortunately progress isn’t just coming, but it has arrived. Hence super smooth paved roads.

02construction.jpg~original

But not always. This link between Turpiza and Uyuni town will be paved soon. A lot of construction on this stretch. When chasing the 2016 Dakar I rode the other way: Uyuni to Turpiza. There had been a lot of rain and “fun” in different ways

03layDownDSCN9940.jpg~original

One careful owner. Never been off road. A little lay down… Note the importance to take a picture before picking bike up! Unsurprisingly, with a back tyre sporting a less bold profile and the new shock which I was about to need, the bike rode much better and allowed confidence at speed

04stuckDSCN9945.jpg~original

Muy rapido necessito. Don’t bottle it Mr Bright!

05dakarMonUyuniTown.jpg~original

In 2001 this momument hadn’t been built. Locals eating ice cream.

Virtually the same location 2001:

626_Uyuni_Icecream.jpg

06localsBackpackers.jpg~original

Locals in traditional dress and young backpackpackers, the principle visitors to Bolivia. The iPhone generation. I also frequented eateries that had passable wifi. No wifi, no custom. Guilty. In 2001 internet cafes were the norm. Some were still in Uyuni, but doing no business

07BeerPosterDSC_0074.jpg~original

Bolivians seem incredibly positive about the Dakar race. Here a beer advert.

08mumAndKidsDSC_0068.jpg~original

Mum and kids

09neatStatue.jpg~original

Edwina Scissor Hands

10workersStatueDSC_0063.jpg~original

Railway workers statue 2015

Same statue 15 years earlier:

638_Uyuni_town_Bolivia.jpg

11trainCemeteryDSC_0078.jpg~original

Train cemetery, just outside Uyuni

In 2001 they were shooting the first BMW 1150gs Adventure brochure. Here in Uyuni. My face ended up in brochure too!! More on this in a later post:

623_GSAdv_Photoshoot.jpg

The 2001 story is at Chapter 22 The Big Trip

Revisiting an old favourite

01_Race_monument_1.jpg~original

The Salar de Uyuni is always worth another visit. I was there on my RTW trip in 2001. Now there’s even a Dakar monument in the middle (ish) of it. The salt pan itself was used one year as part of the racetrack, but by the end of that Stage there were a multitude of DNFs. Water, salt and electrics really don’t mix too well.

02_FlagsAtSaltHotel.jpg~original

A pretty sight. The world’s flags at the “original” salt hotel on the Salar. There appear to be about 10 hotels with the name Salt hotel around and about now. Quite a few nowhere near the Salar.

In 2001: the only, same as pictured above, Salt hotel:

630_Salt_Hotel_Salar_de_Uyuni_Bol.jpg

04_MosaicVista.jpg~original

A lot of hyperbole gets used these days, including rubbish words like extreme, hardcore and adventure, when actually most thing that people do are incredibly average. The Salar is definitely awe inspiring, mind-blowing. Just wow!

05_Selfindulgent_selfie2.jpg~original

The obligatory self-indulgent picture of myself. Wooly hat and shades make me look better. The sun may be shining, but it ain’t too warm at 3650 meters above sea level!

1990s helmet paint jobs weren’t that good were they! Surprised I wasn’t riding the bike wearing a purple shellsuit!!

631_Salar_de_Uyuni_Bol.jpg

06_Campspot_with_Raymond.jpg~original

Camping with a like minded soul. I found that meeting other (motor) bikers wasn’t easy. Contrary to my last trip (without the benefit of the internet and forums like this one to arrange meetups) I seemed to run into many more m/c riders. But I did bump into Raymon from Spain cycling around South America on his pushbike. The biggest of respects to all these pedal cyclists. I just have to park my (fat) arse on a m/c saddle, press the go button, twist the throttle and I get to where I’m going easily. These guys have to move themselves and their luggage every inch of the way.

Isla del Pescada where we camped, in 2001:

628_Isla_del_Pescada_Salar_Bol.jpg

07_Nightview1.jpg~original

A favourite picture of mine

08_Nightview2.jpg~original

Because I like it so much, here’s another. We camped next to the island, more precisely in the wind-shadow of the island as it was blowing a howling gale!

09_Goodmorning2.jpg~original

¡Buenas dias!

10_Goodmorning3.jpg~original

Where will the road lead today?

11_Goodmorning1.jpg~original

Contemplating breakfast. Raymon was carrying on and I was going to return to Uyuni town to collect supplies and extra fuel before following in his tracks. I aimed to catch him up pretty quickly. I never did…

12_Island_dog_watches_Raymond_cycle_away.jpg~original

Raymon heads southwest. The island dog looks after him longingly. Maybe he fed him better than me

13_Jetwash.jpg~original

Always a good idea to get a thorough wash down… High pressure hoses aren’t good for stickers!!

History repeats itself: Another shocking tale…

After returning to Uyuni town, stocking up on food and (expensive, over-priced) fuel (Gringos get charged twice what the locals pay) and spending the night I head off across the Salar with the intention of riding the Lagunas route south-westwards towards Chile and San Pedro de Atacama. I don’t get that far.

After coming off the super smooth Salar, about 12km before the hamlet of San Juan, after 80 or so seriously bone-jarring washboard track I slow down to stop to admire the view (actually I’m knackered and need a breather). There’s smoke coming out from under the seat!

1blownShock.jpg~original

I was about to jump off the bike and run as I was expecting flames. Having a 27 litre Molotov cocktail explode next to my bollocks didn’t seem such a good idea. Conveniently there were no flames and I dismounted in a more relaxed fashion, but did back away a little distance to consider my predicament.

The stock Kawasaki shock that I had rebuilt in Brasil had well and truly expired!

I have form when it comes to blowing shockers. Here’s a pic from early 2001 of my Beemer shock lashed together with a tyre-lever and webbing near Gobernador Gregores in the Argentinian Patagonia:

553_Hardtail.jpg

2leaningAgainst%20Wall.jpg~original

What to do? Try to retrace my route or limp on to the next town on the map. The last 2 places I had ridden though were virtual ghost towns… I rode on towards San Juan. I think I even saw Raymon’s bicycle tracks in the sand. They were definitely from a pushbike and and pogo-ing along at marginally faster than walking pace I had plenty of opportunity to look closely at the dirt and sand just in front of my front tyre.

As the shock was shagged the bike wouldn’t sit on its stand properly: so, lean it against a wall. I found a guest house and asked the owner if she knew anyone with a truck. Her husband beckons me to follow him.

3loading.jpg~original

We agreed (an admittedly generous) price, but he did have the only truck in the village and was willing to set off virtually immediately back to Uyuni town, about 200km away

4tyingBikeDown.jpg~original

Despite having no personal or professional connection to the South American road haulage business, I’ve probably spent more time than most people in the back of trucks in the lands south of the Panama Canal.

Here’s a pic from ’01 when hitchhiking with a new shock back to my bricked up Beemer:

573_Hitching_north_to_rejoin_bike.jpg

5liftGivers.jpg~original

Truckin’ with the man and his wife… Making it into a shopping trip? Fine by me.

6dogInCab.jpg~original

…and their very cute puppy.

Extracting myself from a pickle: With the help pf good people

Having gotten the KLR back to Uyuni town I now had to make a plan. 15 years previously I sourced a new shocker for my BMW from Germany. My parents who live in Germany ordered it from the Dutch Ohlins dealer (cheaper), drove there to pick it up and posted it to a friend in England who was flying to Puntas Arenas in Chile in order to go trekking in Torres del Paine. Wifi didn’t really exist in those days, so I had written a draft on the library computer in Goberdador Gregores, saved it onto a USB stick, hitchhiked for 3 days and emailed it from an internet café in Puerto Natales. The email to my English friend went something like: There’s a shock absorber already on its way from Germany to your address in England. Can you please bring it to Chile? PS. I don’t have a Plan B.

This time with wifi/ skype and cell phones, things can be much easier. The hotel in Uyuni had strong wifi, not the usual for Uyuni, nor Bolivia. I fired off some messages to the Horizonsunlimited Communities in Bolivia asking for a delivery address as my previous experience of parts shipping with DH-Hell to South America wasn’t so good, to put it mildly: Chapter 17 The Big Trip I also posted my predicament on the HU Facebook group and a chap suggested a tour company in Arequipa might have one kicking around.

I used the Skype app on my cell phone in order to call Arequipa https://www.perumotors.com/ He said, yes he had a new shock I could have, but it was for a Gen 2 bike. Then I got an email reply from Robin of the La Paz HU Community. The paraphrased email chat went something like this (remember: he’s neither met, nor ever heard of me previously…)

Robin: Yes, you can use my address for a delivery, but I’m just at the airport and will be away for a week.
Me: Where are you flying to?
Robin: Miami, USA
Me: How do you feel about me having a shock absorber delivered to your hotel in Miami and bringing it to Bolivia for me?
Robin: Sure, no problem
Me: Thank you very very much!!

(Robin had also offered me the shock off his bike –different make and model, so not compatible- Also his mate Oscar had offered to lend me the shock off his Gen 2 KLR)

Modern communications technology is great when good people use it!

I had a shocker sent from Texas to Miami and despite Thanksgiving, Black Friday and the weekend coming up, it made its Monday afternoon plane-ride from Florida to Bolivia.

While waiting, I took various buses to Potosi to do some tourism and Samaipata to visit an old friend. Here’s a picture to start. That’s dynamite with a fuse in my mouth!

mineTourPotosi.jpg~original

More tourist pictures to follow.

You’re either on the bus, or off the bus (Borrowing a line from Tom Wolf’s “Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test”)

While waiting for the shocker to wing its way from the US, I stayed busy. It was time to see how the other half lived. In my younger days I had been a bus tourist/ backpacker, until the bus I was in Namibia in 1992 was overtaken by a German on a Honda XL500 with alli boxes. Buses ain’t bad, in fact for just vegetating from place to place, they’re perfectly fine. On a bike I enjoy the journey, not just the destination. I travelled to Potosi, then Sucre, then Samaipata before heading for La Paz to collect the shock. Then another bus back to Uyuni where I had parked the bike in Mr Hotelman’s furniture storeroom.

p1aHiThereYouCominMyWay.jpg~original

Potosi was one of the principle reasons for the Spanish to invade/colonise South America. The Cerro Rico mountain that overlooks Potosi generated substantial amounts of silver. Today the mountain is a half or third of its previous size and mining still goes on. Following 100s year old ways of working. A popular tourist/backpacker activity is to take a tour into the mines to see what goes on. Everyone takes gifts for the miners: dynamite, fuses, weedkiller (propellant), cigarettes, alcohol, coca leaves

How about this as a Tinder profile picture? Do you think I’d get many right swipes?

p1BfaceMask.jpg~original

The blue face scarf I bought on the tour :bounce1 Or this as a Tinder picture? Says a 1000 words, no? :nenau

p2backBreakingWork1.jpg~original

The miners work bloody hard!

p4backBreakingWork2.jpg~original

Ditto

p3backBreakingWork3.jpg~original

Ditto ditto

I took this picture the last time I was in Potosi 15 years ago. There’s a good chance this miner is dead today as the life expectancy down the mine is 17 years. Go down the mine at 14 ish, dead by 30ish. Asbestos hangs off the tunnel roofs… industrial accidents… Work 12 hours a day, 6 days a week in these conditions.

646_Miner_chewing_coca.jpg

p5checkingTheQualityOfTheOre.jpg~original

Checking the ore quality. With a lump hammer

p6refining.jpg~original

Refining the ore. Some nasty chemicals involved

p7FactoryProcessingDSC_0013.jpg~original

18th century type factory?

p8HandS.jpg~original

Health and Safety has arrived in Bolivia. What use it is, I don’t know

p9FamousFace.jpg~original

Welcome to The National Mint of Bolivia

shoeShine.jpg~original

The shoe shine business a bit slow today?

In 2001 the portrait photo business a bit quiet too:

650_Main_square_Potosi.jpg

waitingForAbus.jpg~original

Knitting, waiting for the bus with Cerro Rico in the background

Heel kicking, bus riding, bench sleeping, good people meeting. Sucre, Samaipata and La Paz

S1demo.jpg~original

Sucre was a fun town to visit. Here there’s some sort of protest. The campesinos (peasants) are often striking. As part of their civil unrest, roads get closed. I never encountered anything like that in Bolivia. In Colombia I did though

S2governmentBuilding.jpg~original

Whitewashed government building

MikaSamaipata.jpg~original

Mika is an old biking buddy who has been around the world and in some pretty unusual places, including most recently into and out of China with his own bike, all without a guide http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/ride-tales/riding-through-china-i-did-82852 He now resides in the beautiful town of Samaipata.

The bus dropped me off at 4am, so I slept on a park bench in the main plaza for a couple of hours. At 6.30am I was welcomed by the lovely purr of a less than silenced DR650 motor :D

Shortly there’ll be a Bolivia HU meeting that he is helping to organise. The ride there is well worth it and the destination is awesome: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/events/bolivia-2017

LP1robinOscarMeLaPaz.jpg~original

Back in La Paz I got to meet Robin, the shock mule, and Oscar. Both top blokes.

LP2shockArrived.jpg~original

The offending article… Looks shiney, doesn’t it? Worked well until it started self-dismantling itself after 3 months. The only thing worse than a Progressive shock is the Progressive customer service department handling of a warranty claim. Progressive and “Customer Service” in the same sentence is an oxymoron, but more of that later

It's been a little while since the last installment. Apologies. Things are a bit hectic and now that the weather is improving, bikes need riding...

On the road (of the Lagunas Route across the Altiplano) again

03_Special_views1.jpg~original

It's great to be riding again. Especially with (for now) working suspension. I rode most of this route in 2001. Some journeys are definitely worth repeating! Breathtaking views. Literally and figuratively.

02_LastRaysOfTheDay.jpg~original

Last rays of sun at my wild camp. It got cold, but the sleeping bag did it's thing. And the stove failed again, so it was cold tuna and bread for supper

01_CampingSpot.jpg~original

Nice morning for it

05_ViewFromTheTent.jpg~original

Room with a view

06_Twisters.jpg~original

Twisters that headed my way

07_Special_views2.jpg~original

Not much pollution here

08_Valley.jpg~original

Undulating terrain

09_FollowyourNose.jpg~original

Navigation wasn't so difficult. It was knackering riding, so every so often in order to take a breather I took a picture

11_RockArbre2.jpg~original

The famous Árbol de Piedra

12_RockArbre1.jpg~original

And again in 2015

Now with the Wife in 2001:

616_Rock_Highroad_to_Uyuni.jpg

Similarities and differences? Answers on a postcard please.

13_FlamingoesLagunaColorada.jpg~original

Bloody flamingos! They're everywhere, turning up here and taking all our jobs. Laguna Colorada

14_HotTub.jpg~original

Hot tub in 2015, including entry fee with changing rooms and a restaurant. And in 2001 with Lars and Tini from Germany on their Trans-Americas 2001 trip. No entry fee, no changing room, nor restaurant. But because of Health and Safety considerations in both cases it's important to wear protective head attire... :

535_Clean_bikers_Hotspring_Altiplano.jpg

15_walkingMan.jpg~original

Didn't encounter any pedestrians in 2001. In 2015, this (British) chap. Barkin' mad pal! Also came across a bicyclist from North America. He seemed utterly knackered, and in the spirit of helping fellow travelers I felt he needed a packet of cookies and 2 liters of bottled water more than I did...

16_JustBeforeLagunaVerde.jpg~original

Similar location to this pic from 2001?:

611_Laguna_Verde_Altiplano.jpg

Laguna Verde 2001. 43 litre Acerbis gas tank and 2 x 4 litre oil cans strapped to it when I set off from San Pedro de Atacama towards Uyuni. 51 liters of gas for over 600km. With the altitude and the hard going my fuel economy went through the floor, but I made it.

In 2015 on Chlamydia I set off from Uyuni towards SPdA with 27 in the tank and 6 or 8 liters in cola bottles on the back. After the fun stuff, when you hit the pavement on the Argentina to Chile road it's down hill for about 60km if I remember right. Just as well, as I free wheeled with the motor off most of the way and arrived in SPdA on fumes.

I think the 2015 route was longer (and in ways more difficult and scenic) because it followed more high-Altiplano lakes than 2001.

17_LagunaVerde.jpg~original

Does this picture look like it was taken at the same place as the front cover of the 2002 BMW R1150GSA brochure, see http://www.barrierobsonbmw.co.uk/downloads/data/R1150GSAdventdata.pdf

Funny you should mention that Mr Bright!....

bmwBrochure02.jpg

Right place, wrong time? In 2001 I stumbled upon and into the photo shoot for the 2002 R1150GSA brochure

bmwBrochure03.jpg

Init. In the clothing section (page 30) and on both sides of the pullout poster. The same picture 3 times. Subliminal message: You can either ride a shiney GSA and wear a shiney BMW jacket or ride an old scabby shed and wear second hand stuff bought at the BMF rally at Peterborough. The choice is yours. Make the right decision!

bmwBrochure04.jpg

No joke... When I got home after my 99 to 02 trip I spammed all the BMW headquarters I could think of. I now have said brochure in 10 languages! "You probably think the song is about you".

bmwBrochure05.jpg

What the brochure sezz... ;-) There's a bloke on the HUBB who likes trolling me: Lots of pointless stuff that probably makes his chest swell with indignation. He even wrote in the guestbook on my website at www.bravenet.com - A Bravenet.com Guestbook Interestingly enough, it's possible to edit others' words to make them very different, even positively sycophantic :) Does he not realise I have wool in my flies and shouldn't be messed with?

Another 2001 picture I like:

614_Rivercrossing_Highroad_Uyuni.jpg

And from 2015

18_HighestCustomsInTheWorld.jpg~original

Highest Customs office in the world?

19_LeftOrRight.jpg~original

In no mans land between Bolivia, Argentina and Chile

2001 trip words are at Chapter 22 The Big Trip

Update of local map (Leg 3)

Here’s a map(ish) (actually screenshot of track log in Garmin Mapsource) of my route (clockwise) from Uyuni to San Pedro de Atacama in northern Chile, to Arica, then on to Arequipa and the Colca Canyon in southern Peru, to Lago Titcaca, and back into Bolivia to La Paz, the bicycle tour marketing ploy of the "Road of Death" and on to Samaipata for Christmas 2015

3UyuniNchileSperuTiticacaBolAgain.jpg~original

Down the Hill to Chile and then north to southern Peru

After a brief attempt by the Chilean border officials at San Pedro de Atacama to justifying their existence (attempt to persuade me to remove all my luggage and carry it indoors to shove it through their xray machine… I explained it was too hot for me to do it and that the aduana man should unbolt everything and carry it to his machine himself or not at all… it was agreed that he could use his fancy machine to look in my small rucksack only), I entered muy muy caro Chile. European prices rule here, which if you’re a tight-arsed descendant of a Jock isn’t so good.

01spda1_DSCN0018.jpg~original

San Pedro de Atacama is rather quaint with its desert setting and colonial architecture.

Here’s also a pic from 2001.:

608_San_Pedro_de_Atacama.jpg

02spda2_DSCN0017.jpg~original

South America is full of younger backpacking types, from North America, Europe and other far flung countries as well as local ones, in particular from Argentina. SPDA attracts more than its fair share, justifiably so. It's a pretty place and tourism central.

A large (certainly visual) amount try to make money at traffic lights and other public places as what would loosely be described as “entertainers”, usually jugglers at traffic junctions. They were there in 2001 too, but haven’t, sadly, become more talented in the intervening one and a half decades! This guy was good though: Juggling 3 batons while standing on one leg on a heavy duty bit of webbing strung between 2 trees!

03welcomeToPeru_DSCN0020.jpg~original

The border crossing from Arica into Peru is straight forward as long as the name in the passport matches that on the vehicle registration document. My paperwork was conveniently in order :) The Pan-American Highway along the coast is 1000s of km in a straight line. Why would anyone just ride that when inland up in the Andes there are great roads, views, culture and history? I rode it a short way before turning off towards Arequipa, a city I hadn’t visited before

04roadside_DSCN0024.jpg~original

When stopped under a tree for a comfort break (it was bloody hot!), spotted this chap refilling the drinking troughs for his cattle

05arequipa1_DSC_0002.jpg~original

Arequipa is very pleasant. Great views around the Plaza des Armas. What a backdrop too!

06arequipa2_DSC_0005.jpg~original

The Cathedral

07arequipa3_DSC_0008.jpg~original

And again

08arequipa5_DSCN0030.jpg~original

Again again

09arequipa4_DSC_0011.jpg~original

I recall this still is a convent, as it has been for centuries. None of the resident ladies were available for a chat (up)… Probably already tucked up in bed, in order to be prepared for another dawn session of genuflection and flatulation

Colca Canyon

Along with Arequipa I had also not visited the Colca Canyon on my last trip. I'd heard great things about it and it didn't disappoint. A superb place to visit and, dare I say it, I didn't see too many gringos as on the bike, I was able to dodge the tour buses. Bonus!

01_leavingArequipa_DSC_0012.jpg~original

Leaving Arequipa. The Misti volcanos overlooking the city.

02_incaCola.jpg~original

The same recipe for the past 600 or so years... ;-)

03_chivay1_DSC_0015.jpg~original

Yanque is a pleasant little town and a good base to explore from. A lot less touristy than Chivay

04_wrongInSoManyWays_DSCN0047.jpg~original

This is wrong in so many ways :)

05_volcanoNrChivay_DSC_0024.jpg~original

The Ampato volcano bubbling along nicely

06_ladyInChivay_DSCN0039.jpg~original

A more pleasant depiction of rural Peruvian life

06_peopleChivay_DSC_0025.jpg~original

The walk home from work

07_makingCookingEquipment_DSCN0049.jpg~original

Smithing pots and pans in the street

08_andeanCondor_DSC_0036.jpg~original

The Colca Canyon is famous for the Andean condor. They kept their distance and with only an 18 to 105mm lens they weren't so easy to capture on film

09_altitude_DSCN0035.jpg~original

How high? How far? The turn off down to the canyon bottom. 800m horizontal distance to my right, 2000m drop in altitude and 29km to ride!

10_intoCanyon1_DSC_0028.jpg~original

Some hardcore civil engineering

11_intoCanyon1b_DSC_0027.jpg~original

Pleasant views

12_intoCanyon2_DSC_0030.jpg~original

A leisurely ride down begins

13_intoCanyon3_DSC_0029.jpg~original

More turns

14_intoCanyon4_DSC_0033.jpg~original

Taking a rest, mindful of rockfalls

15_intoCanyon5_DSCN0042.jpg~original

Reached the river. Now the only way is up again!

Back
Top Bottom