exhaust header stuck in head - R1100GS

gog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
my bike is at the engineers to get 2 snapped exhaust studs drilled out - had a call from them just there though saying they cant get the OS downpipe to come out of the head, they have beaten it with soft mallets, heated, cooled, cried and swore but apparently its not for moving and they dont want to damage it.

im planning to just go pick the bike back up and get them off myself but before i do is there any pearls of wisdom I can call them back up with, or is this quite uncommon?

cheers

If, you can get the bike on a bench; tie the back end so it cannot move, then put ratchet straps through each exhaust and to something solid on other end and then tension them. Hopefully, if you increase the tension over a couple of days, they'll pop out.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

I wish i could find the picture of me and my mate Alan trying to remove the headers from his 1100.

We got the headers tied to a tree and the bike tied to the towbar of his Volvo - using ratchet straps. The Volvo got dragged about a foot before the headers let go with a loud bang...

thanks for the input guys. i have a series of badass heavy duty ratchet straps and a forklift with lateral shift, i feel a macguyver evening coming up tonight

Substitue the fork truck for the Volvo in the post above. That will work.

well it came out, but at a cost. part of the aluminium tube that feeds into the head that the exhaust slots in to has snapped away. the metal was buggered and crumbly.

2883b3b342ecb42598f4d37388c53478.jpg

d11029c796974b29da84a09e8a8bdc21.jpg

it's the same on both sides, though the other side appears to have happened previously as the missing fragments didn't fall out with the pipe (and are not in the outlet)

please ignore the chewed up metal, this was the 'engineers' levering trying to remove the pipes before i decided to DIY. i'm not bothered by this, it's not a show bike and will clean up ok with a file and paint.

question is, will the headers still seal with the sections of guide tube missing, or am i looking for another pair of heads?

I say new heads be easier, looks like studs are done. You can pick up 2 docent heads for about 80 a pair.

Val

2 bikes , twice is happy 🤔

thanks jay. that's what i'm hoping. i'll clean up the mating faces and see what can be done about the studs at the weekend.

cheers

val - pair of heads for £80 sounds cheap, didn't see any that price on ebay when i looked though!

val - pair of heads for £80 sounds cheap, didn't see any that price on ebay when i looked though!
Yeah not often they come at that price , you just have to keep eye on eBay , most time it's from Germany , here is beaker from Germany you can get in touch directly he post world wide at good price .
70d2f4cb017dcb0a92b57e28fab92387.jpg

I won't worry much about damage to collar it's studs need to be replaced and they are nightmare to takeout .

Val

2 bikes , twice is happy 🤔

cheers val, ive saved that guys details and watched the listing. yup i know the studs are buggered, that's why i needed to get the pipes off in the first place! taking bike back next week to get the studs done and i'll see how i get on before considering replacement heads ;)

thanks jay. that's what i'm hoping. i'll clean up the mating faces and see what can be done about the studs at the weekend.

cheers
Don't Clean mating faces!!

When refitting the pipes use a smear of exhaust paste and refit and torque up bolts/nuts! If you remove the patina it wont fit together as it did before !

Yeah and then the £48.71 per side for Head gaskets and what ever other nasties that can get uncovered

These will do fine Tha's not made o brass lad!

you're not wrong jay, i'm bloody skint so it's going back together regardless for now. seems every job i go to do on this bike i end up creating more jobs. i'm starting to wish i'd just stuck with the airhead

Back
Top Bottom