young riders policy

glenn.1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
My son who is 19 has dipped his first toe into the fantastic world of biking... bought a cheap suzuki van van 125... but i must have gone on 6 comparison sites and a dozen insurance company sites and cannot get a quote below a grand.... my 10 grand GS LC is only £120... anyone know of companies specifically for young first time riders ....at this rate there wont be any young first time riders!!
Thanks in advance Glenn

Six and he's given up?

Try a Google of 'young motorcyclist insurance' or summat similar words and then tell him to get on the phone to more of them.....

The fact that someone is dumb enough to insure you (who are not 19 and not on their first motorcycle) for about 33p a day is all but irrelevant.

would i be able to get the van van in my name on the log book and insure it for me with him as a named rider?

would i be able to get the van van in my name on the log book and insure it for me with him as a named rider?

Only if you intend to be the main driver of the vehicle, which (apparently) you are not.... and anyway, they'll (probably) ask you for at least the age and driving experience of the second 'named driver', which might well bring you back to square one again.

Nah, feck it.... go for it, Tractors are go says it'll be OK

In the meantime, has the youth summoned up enough reserves of energy to get on a Google search and now tried more than six outlets?

All sorted... if i register the bike in my name and i am the main user ... and have my son as named rider... BOOOM £289 If 'when' he has an altication i can say he just happened to be riding my bike at the time...as he's insured to do.... to be honest, if the insurance companies didn't charge such ridiclulas prices the we wouldn't have to resort to dirty tricks just to get the next generation of bikers on the road...
Anyway thanks fellas for your advice.

I had me as second driver on car policy with son as main driver; saved around 30% compared to cost of him just insuring it.

Often a second driver with experience will reduce overall costs.

Sadly, all to often youngster's now a day's drive/ride with no insurance due to the telephone numbers being charged, if only the government would subsidise this than the usual crap, things might actually be easier for youngster's.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

All sorted... if i register the bike in my name and i am the main user ... and have my son as named rider... BOOOM £289 If 'when' he has an altication i can say he just happened to be riding my bike at the time...as he's insured to do.... to be honest, if the insurance companies didn't charge such ridiclulas prices the we wouldn't have to resort to dirty tricks just to get the next generation of bikers on the road...

Dont want to rain on your parade but ....

You may want to check out "Fronting" in insurance terms ... ;)

Mart

That seems ridiculously high for a Van Van! My sons MT125 cost him £450 fully comp in his first year (at 17) and renewal was £265, probably due to a years no claims and passing his full test.

That was with Bike Sure. Policy in his name with me as a named rider

So you have committed insurance fraud and admitted such on a public forum. Good luck with getting a non-third party claim settled. Insurance companies charge "such ridiculous prices" partly due to fraudulent behaviour, or "dirty tricks" in your vernacular.

So you have committed insurance fraud and admitted such on a public forum. Good luck with getting a non-third party claim settled. Insurance companies charge "such ridiculous prices" partly due to fraudulent behaviour, or "dirty tricks" in your vernacular.

Agreed - that's part of the reason why premiums are so high for the rest of us ...... hope your insurance company doesn't monitor your social media glenn.1

Let me spell it out for you just in case you haven't got the message...this is not only stupid but will leave your son uninsured with all the consequences that can have...not only losing his licence (driving without insurance = 6 points = no licence for a new driver/rider), but also no payout for any comprehensive risk and the insurer coming after both you and him in the courts for any third party payout.

The practice of falsely claiming that the more experienced rider is the main user in order to obtain a lower premium is known as 'fronting' and, like all insurance fraud, is a criminal offence. I'll bet you're one of those who are first in the queue to complain how expensive motor insurance is in Bradford...well, guess what, you're part of the problem!

hold on boys.... i bought that bike for ME... so i can ride it... i thought i would nice to include my son on the policy so he can ride it anorl .... ILLEGAL!! NOT COVERED!! INSURANCE FRAUD!!! not according to the insurance company Why does my paying £300 make everyone else policy more expensive.... its that or nothing... then our policies would be even higher .....

Which is not really what your opening post or its title suggests, is it?

Hi
My son who is 19 has dipped his first toe into the fantastic world of biking... bought a cheap suzuki van van 125... but i must have gone on 6 comparison sites and a dozen insurance company sites and cannot get a quote below a grand.... my 10 grand GS LC is only £120... anyone know of companies specifically for young first time riders ....at this rate there wont be any young first time riders!!
Thanks in advance Glenn

Your post to start this thread suggests that your young son has bought (or has had bought for him) a 125 Van Van in order to start motorcycling in his own right and that you / he were struggling to find insurance for him for under a thousand pounds, after an exhaustive search, a comparison being made with the £120 you pay for your own annual insurance as, we assume, a mature / experienced rider of a 1200 GS LC.

Now you reveal that it's actually YOUR Van Van, that you'll be the main rider (we assume in addition to your GS) and that your son really will ride it only occasionally, apparently now increasing the cost of your insurance from £120 to now £300 as a consequence, him being much younger and much less an experienced rider than you, insured under your policy.

Phew, great we got to it in the end.

PS As your son is now apparently insured under YOUR policy (as opposed to his own) as an occasional rider, you might like to check whether he accrues any future No Claims Bonus credits. There is a reasonable chance that he doesn't. In addition, any claim that he makes under your policy may perhaps count against him AND you. Take care.

hold on boys.... i bought that bike for ME... so i can ride it... i thought i would nice to include my son on the policy so he can ride it anorl .... ILLEGAL!! NOT COVERED!! INSURANCE FRAUD!!! not according to the insurance company Why does my paying £300 make everyone else policy more expensive.... its that or nothing... then our policies would be even higher .....

Which is NOT what you said either in your first post or in your 'all sorted' post! Bit late to backtrack now mate...if there is a claim and your insurer has any sense at all they will look at it very carefully as your profile will scream 'fronting' at them.

Two tweets from North Yorks police today...

"Court result...Driver of this vehicle given 20month suspended sentence, 140hrs unpaid work & 3yr ban."

"Also convicted of no insurance as policy was invalid due to Dad falsely claiming to own the car (fronting) Dad pleaded guilty to ins. fraud"

For those of you who cast the first stone... i had a word with my solicitor friend and you maybe surprised to here fronting in its self is not illegal...indeed some years ago it was widespread...the insurance companies have tried there best to ban it... but its not illegal... the way the questions are put when you apply for insurance are supposed to prohibit fronting.... either giving a stupid £1000 quote ( equal to the policy for the young driver anyway..negating the whole issue) or simply not quoting.... the illegal bit is deliberately and knowingly falsifying the answers to the questions, in some cases rendering the policy void.... but it boils down to just one question... who is the main user ... i bought the bike... the log book is in my name and I'm the registered keeper...is it down to ratios of who rides it the most...im not mystic meg, how can i answer that truthfully my guess would be 50/50... so i think its fair to say i am the main user.... i have not answered any questions deceitfully and the policy has been accepted .... remember also a quote between £900 and £2000 for a (modest)125 bike means they don't want to quote at all so give silly numbers.... the only drawback is my son will not get any NCD.... don't hound me... I'm just quoting him

just for those who shed a tear for all these poor insurance companies... copy and paste this link to one of our own pages http://www.ukg ser.com/forums/showthread.php/447225-HOW-MUCH

Once again, your explanation at the end differs significantly from all your opening posts. No, you are not Mystic Meg but it doesn't require too much staring at your balls to work out (or even imagine) who is going to be riding the Van Van most often; why else did you buy it?

But hey, who really gives a feck. Enjoy sharing the bike with your son, if he can ever rip the keys out of your hands long enough.

For those of you who cast the first stone... i had a word with my solicitor friend and you maybe surprised to here fronting in its self is not illegal...indeed some years ago it was widespread...the insurance companies have tried there best to ban it... but its not illegal... the way the questions are put when you apply for insurance are supposed to prohibit fronting.... either giving a stupid £1000 quote ( equal to the policy for the young driver anyway..negating the whole issue) or simply not quoting.... the illegal bit is deliberately and knowingly falsifying the answers to the questions, in some cases rendering the policy void.... but it boils down to just one question... who is the main user ... i bought the bike... the log book is in my name and I'm the registered keeper...is it down to ratios of who rides it the most...im not mystic meg, how can i answer that truthfully my guess would be 50/50... so i think its fair to say i am the main user.... i have not answered any questions deceitfully and the policy has been accepted .... remember also a quote between £900 and £2000 for a (modest)125 bike means they don't want to quote at all so give silly numbers.... the only drawback is my son will not get any NCD.... don't hound me... I'm just quoting him

just for those who shed a tear for all these poor insurance companies... copy and paste this link to one of our own pages http://www.ukg ser.com/forums/showthread.php/447225-HOW-MUCH

So if you are all legal and above board (which if you are fronting you certainly are not), why did you describe your wizard plan to stick one to the insurance industry as "dirty tricks"?

Which is not really what your opening post or its title suggests, is it?

Your post to start this thread suggests that your young son has bought (or has had bought for him) a 125 Van Van in order to start motorcycling in his own right and that you / he were struggling to find insurance for him for under a thousand pounds, after an exhaustive search, a comparison being made with the £120 you pay for your own annual insurance as, we assume, a mature / experienced rider of a 1200 GS LC.

Now you reveal that it's actually YOUR Van Van, that you'll be the main rider (we assume in addition to your GS) and that your son really will ride it only occasionally, apparently now increasing the cost of your insurance from £120 to now £300 as a consequence, him being much younger and much less an experienced rider than you, insured under your policy.

Phew, great we got to it in the end.

PS As your son is now apparently insured under YOUR policy (as opposed to his own) as an occasional rider, you might like to check whether he accrues any future No Claims Bonus credits. There is a reasonable chance that he doesn't. In addition, any claim that he makes under your policy may perhaps count against him AND you. Take care.

He said i went on six comparison sites, but never mentioned who bought the bike, or who it was for. Granted ; spouting on hear has'nt done him any favours.

Back
Top Bottom