Attempting to repair servo ABS unit

All tested and everything seems to be fine now. My only issue is that I need a couple of new bleed screws as they are starting to round off. I have checked Realoem and they are not listed as a spare.

Anyone know where I can get (preferably) 6 new ones or has anyone a couple of spares I could buy?

I can take some out of the units I disassembled - a couple already sheared on one of these units but if you give me a day or two I'll see what comes out and come back to you. You can have them for the cost of the postage.

I think the silicone in DOT5 fluid can damage the rubber seals in the ABS unit - there are a lot of small rubber seals in this ABS unit.

Many thanks - much appreciated! The really bad ones are the "short" bleed screws (2 of)a further 2 more a a bit "iffy" so 4 short ones would be great if pos but anything will do!

I shall pm my contact details and if you are ever in the Warrington area call in... coffee and sticky bun (or a beer!)

I notice that you are in Shetland - lucky devil!

John

Most bleed screws are in standard sizes, you can buy them on ebay or try probolt etc for titanium or stainless.

Be careful with stainless and titanium. They cause aluminium to corrode. Zinc plated steel is better and replace when the outer end gets rusty looking.

Shetland - nice when the weather is good :D

Anyone in the area welcome to call in...... tea and a bannock (or a beer!) :D

Got two good short ones out the units I have (rest are starting to round a bit and I sheared another of the long ones :blast).

For the size maybe this helps:

I compared with some nuts and bolts I have lying around - the thread is smaller than M8 and bigger than M6 so I'm guessing they are M7 :nenau

Farmerboy: PM me your details and I'll send those two to you.

Hi, cannot work out how to pm so my address is in my profile now. I shall delete it later.

Thanks again...

ps I will have to be very careful when I replace them as it would be a disaster if one of mine sheared off.... heat will not be an option so I guess a good quality 6 sided socket and plenty of release fluid (plusgas) a few days before I tackle the job. One of mine was VERY tight and my heart was in my mouth as I tried to undo it!

Last edited:
OK I have your address - I'll get them in the post tomorrow or Friday to you.

You might need to be a subscriber to PM.

Looks like I got lucky on my unit then :)

Of the two units sent to me by DrFarkoff some were already broken on the R1150 unit and they are very stiff in the R1200 unit.

I used a ring spanner when undoing them - I figured an open ended spanner could be risky.

That's the nipples in the post now - was only a second class stamp so don't worry about payment - may be I'll take that sticky bun from you if I'm ever passing that way :drool

Allow an extra day or two for the post to work it's way down from up here :D

OK I have your address - I'll get them in the post tomorrow or Friday to you.

You might need to be a subscriber to PM.

Looks like I got lucky on my unit then :)

Of the two units sent to me by DrFarkoff some were already broken on the R1150 unit and they are very stiff in the R1200 unit.

I used a ring spanner when undoing them - I figured an open ended spanner could be risky.
Certainly on cars, there are dedicated bleed nipple spanners, they are just slightly smaller than the equivalent metric size...

Nothing worse than shearing or rounding a bleed nipple

mart

That's the nipples in the post now - was only a second class stamp so don't worry about payment - may be I'll take that sticky bun from you if I'm ever passing that way :drool

Allow an extra day or two for the post to work it's way down from up here :D

Arrived this morning. Brilliant! Sincere thanks. You are a gent.
Regards
John. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure they arrived this morning? :confused: I only posted them this morning :eek:

oops... my wife told me I had a small parcel so I assumed it was the bleed screws! The bad news is the fault has reappeared. Exactly the same symptoms as last time so I think it is time to remove the servo and go for "normal" brakes. A shame as I thought I had fixed it. I shall try and strip the unit down to identify the problem. :(

No problem - had to be something like that or else Shetland has got a new mail plane :D

Shame your problem has come back. Recalling back to when mine finally failed it was a gradual thing - sometimes the warning would not go out after setting off - stopping and switching off ignition cured it but slowly that happened more and more until it failed all the time. Even then disconnecting the battery and it might all work again for a couple of miles. I don't think the electronics block itself fails that often (if it did I would expect problems with the speedo or the faults to stay permenantly) - I personally think it's dirt on the inside of the unit in most cases. With he broken pressure switch inside mine I'm convinced the corrosion around the switch it is what caused it to break and to start with whilst the problem was still intermittent to give false readings some of the time.

Bleed screws arrived today! Grateful thanks.... I can send them back or offer them to others if you like as I have just removed the unit entirely..!!!

R1200RT 2006 with iABS
So far so good.... The abs/servo unit is out and the brakes bled and feel really good - (no test ride yet). Re-connecting the electronic brain of the abs/servo has restored all functions, speedo, cruise, brake lights and the only issue was the flashing warning lights.
In the vain hope that abs modulators may become cheaply available in the future I want to be able to reverse all of this so I decided to just blank off the warning lights. I removed the dash and cover from the instrument panel to reveal the led's that were busily flashing away. The "brake failure" led recess was plugged with some high density foam, cut to shape and the red triangle recess had a red and an amber led. I cut a piece of high density foam to cover just the red one so I will still get the amber low fuel etc warning. All good and tested with a blanket over my head to ensure it will be ok at night! (wife thinks I have lost the plot!) I just need to seal the open side of the abs brain electronics and then have a test ride.
The bike, strangely, starts easier and the tickover is less lumpy.... no idea why that should be? Cannot wait to ride it sans servo.. Note, the servo is surprisingly heavy - maybe 10kg so I will be about 2 gallons of fuel lighter permanently!
This is not technically difficult to do, just a bit "long winded" and fiddly.
Pics to follow... :)
Thanks for the help and support and fingers crossed all will be well from now on!
John

The "brake failure" led recess was plugged with some high density foam, cut to shape and the red triangle recess had a red and an amber led. I cut a piece of high density foam to cover just the red one so I will still get the amber low fuel etc warning.
Pics to follow... :)
Thanks for the help and support and fingers crossed all will be well from now on!
John
I too have had the servoectomy, and leds issue. Mine are currently blaked with a strip og duct tape at the top of each LED recess.
It suffers from light bleed, so you can see the panel flashing in the shade.

I all ready have the high density foam blocks ready for the next time i open the Kombi

How exactly did you do the amber / red leds, if i recall they are in a block of four. what i didnt see was which leds lit up for which level of fault. if its the upper and lower two, then block foam will work, if its the upper LH and Lower RH and vice versa, that will be a pig to do.

Also is you foam touching the LED's? i wasnt sure just incase they generated a bit of heat, and melted the foam

Mart

Farmerboy: just let anyone else that wants them have them.

Santa-2512: LED's shouldn't generate any heat so foam will be fine (electronics is my day job).

When I was considering servosectomy before attempting the repair I came across http://www.grahamsmotorcycles.co.uk/. I read somewhere on this site that they could keep the amber/red warning lights working as they should - could be worth a call to them.

Back
Top Bottom