2017 xr

finn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
considering a swap for the fixed 17 version haven't test ridden one as I know I will want it, small commute and just fun on bikes these days but the question is have the 17 bikes issues been fixed and would you swap a lc gsa and still be happy:thumb2

I swapped a LC GSA for mine 2 years ago and i have been very very very happy and intend to continue in the same way !

My bike has little in the way of the vibes people keep going on about and mainly at about 5100 to 5500 revs and its not a rev range i tend to stay in ( if it is then the XR is not for you)

Build quality IMO is way better than my 14 plate GSA LC and the bike is so much more fun and yet as comfortable for a short arse like me !

Go and ride one

I just swapped my GS LC for an XR Sport which was a direct result of riding both the XR and a GSA back to back on an extended test ride. For me the XR was streets ahead in terms of handling and performance, however we're all different and I'm sure some folk will find the XR a bit too focussed for their needs.

The only way to make your mind up is to ride them both.

I just got it back from Revs racing this morning having had Wilbers fitted so will be out at the weekend :bounce1

I just swapped my GS LC for an XR Sport which was a direct result of riding both the XR and a GSA back to back on an extended test ride. For me the XR was streets ahead in terms of handling and performance, however we're all different and I'm sure some folk will find the XR a bit too focussed for their needs.

The only way to make your mind up is to ride them both.

I just got it back from Revs racing this morning having had Wilbers fitted so will be out at the weekend :bounce1

Wilburs on the XR Eh !

Now I will be interested in how that performs

I swapped a LC GSA for mine 2 years ago and i have been very very very happy and intend to continue in the same way !

My bike has little in the way of the vibes people keep going on about and mainly at about 5100 to 5500 revs and its not a rev range i tend to stay in ( if it is then the XR is not for you)

Build quality IMO is way better than my 14 plate GSA LC and the bike is so much more fun and yet as comfortable for a short arse like me !

Go and ride one

There's been an update for 2017 :comfort :D

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 640
Suspension is terrible compared to the gs, if you can live with that and high up in the rev range riding, then it's a peach, if not, then it's not for you.

Had a go on a mates 2016, it was the first time I've ridden a 4 cylinder bike in a long time.

It constantly felt like I was in too low a gear.

If I had one, I'd lengthen the gearing.

Savage feckin power though!!

Sent from a OnePlusX

It's interesting what folk say about the power cause a mate of mine held me up on a run last year all the way to 120 after that he just took off but til then he was in my fecking way.

It's interesting what folk say about the power cause a mate of mine held me up on a run last year all the way to 120 after that he just took off but til then he was in my fecking way.

He was doing something wrong then assuming you were on A GS

Now way on gods green earth can a GS keep up with a XR from any speed

He was doing something wrong then assuming you were on A GS

Now way on gods green earth can a GS keep up with a XR from any speed

I kept up with Nutty when he was on his XR and I was on my GSLC! :D

Now I've got an XR and Nutty's gone orange who knows what will happen ;)

Now that is the icing on the cake also black forks look much better.

You should see the new Wilbers nightline rear unit! It's all anodised black and bloody lovely.:D

The front Sachs forks (all black as you noted Dave) are running top notch ZF cartridges so I've left them alone. Jon at Revs reckons they may only need an oil change and upgrade sometime in the future so will run them standard for a bit.

Suspension is terrible compared to the gs, if you can live with that and high up in the rev range riding, then it's a peach, if not, then it's not for you.

Terrible ? Only if you're an old man. The suspension is firmer than a GS but then it needs to be.

I sold mine as the GS is a better tourer (comfort/range) and I wasn't too keen on the looks. Plus it does make you go ballistic when the GS is happy just trundling most the time, which is what I wanted for the tours.

I think build quality is pretty shit considering the price , it all fits together nice but the plastics and top yoke etc all look a bit budget for £14k.

Whats that got to do with the bikes LOL :blast

Go and ride one

Absolutely, the XR has a brilliant gearbox, so don't ride in a gear at your chosen speed that puts you in the 5k range. For normal riding in gods country roads I very seldom get out of third.

Had a good 250 mile run yesterday. My conclusion was if you like "bimbling" around country lanes then this bike is definitely not for you.
Yes the engine gets rough before it comes on song, but it is worth it.
70 mph constant, 5000 rpm, definite tingling in hands and thighs tho, but only noticed it really when I was thinking about it. Never sit at 70.

Had a good 250 mile run yesterday. My conclusion was if you like "bimbling" around country lanes then this bike is definitely not for you.
Yes the engine gets rough before it comes on song, but it is worth it.
70 mph constant, 5000 rpm, definite tingling in hands and thighs tho, but only noticed it really when I was thinking about it. Never sit at 70.

No tingling at 70 on the one I rode, but I wasn't looking for it and it only took a nano second to pass through on my way to ........

S1000XR....probably one of the best BMW bikes ever built imho. From 30-160 in one gear in comfort, they are special. The suspension is fine on normal roads but across saddleworth moor it got lively and a better shock would have been welcome.

Back
Top Bottom