Fuel gauge on my 09 GS has decided not to work

The open circuit that is referred to above is talking about a break in the circuit in the sensor (a bit like if you run over the flex with your lawnmower and cut the wire).

The ZFE is the computer trickery bit that takes the signal from the fuel sensor and sends it to the gauge.

It is possible that the ZFE is FUBAR, but I don't recall seeing many cases of them going wrong on here, and I would not have thought that such a complicated component would have a fault that manifests as a simple open circuit (not that I know anything at all about the test procedure for the ZFE, so this is conjecture on my behalf based on attempts to fault diagnose similar things!).

At that potential cost is there somewhere you can go for a second opinion?

Red Evo.

I suggest you read most of this chain. The item you refer too is indeed an option for most to consider. I have sourced the float and am in the process of ordering the converter from Henk. In your case if it is the ZFE I think you will need to confirm if this is after the converter that Henk sells (as I believe it should be) and if the fuel level float can still function through the converter into the gauge without a functioning ZFE which presumably stays in the circuit.

Does that make sense to anyone other than me???? I think I may have confused myself so will retire with a beer.

:jager

I'm hoping the BMW garage have got it wrong and I have the same fuel strip issue as everyone else :) They rang today but I didnt' get a chance to speak to them. I'll report back. Thanks for all the info so far.

d

OK, BMW garage are saying "There's a voltage issue with the ZFE and it controls the signal from the fuel sensor and that's why I'm not getting a fuel reading." My issue is I have no idea if the ZFE is FUBAR or not so I'm going to try and find an indy to look at it.

d

I don't really understand that diagram or what I need to do yet, but thanks :)

d

I don't think you will get the warranty if you fit it yourself, false economy,
I paid for 1 to be fitted in Sep 2015,
It failed again in July 2016, replaced under warranty.
It failed again in Sep 2016, replaced under warranty.
I now have 5 months of warranty left, 3 so far for the price of one, whatever happens it will still cost me over 100 quid a year to have a working fuel gauge, unless by some miracle I get one that lasts a few years?

Mines going in again in a couple of weeks for yet another fuel strip, 4 now in 2 years, this time it hasn't packed up totally, it is giving false readings, 320 miles done in a tankful and the range is telling me I've still got 330 miles to go, nice if it was true,
not too helpful in a long trip where I need to know how much fuel is left to avoid running out, in France a couple of weeks ago I had done 360 miles on a tankful and the range said I had 95 miles left to go, filled up and put 35 litres in. Close to running out, warranty runs out on the 15th of July, I'll have to pay again next time.

I have a 30 mile journey to my Motorrad dealer so went with a completely separate gauge using a 38mm dia digital display head unit. One day I'll get the gadget to connect it to the OEM system.

I don't really understand that diagram or what I need to do yet, but thanks :)

d

www.advrider.com has huge thread on the fuel gauge and fuel pump issues. There's the usual waffle but a lot of handy information. Google will find it.

The spoofing resistors fit into the wiring loom plug that goes into the socket alongside the fuel pump power connector. It's located on the LHS petrol tank access cover. You will need a suitable female connector to plug into. They are a common type so your dealer should have a suitable a "repair" connector.

Back
Top Bottom