Which fuel hose, Neoprene or Fibre reinforced

I recently ordered a metre of the tweed coated type from Uli's Motorradladen. Still waiting on delivery but
it's the proper type for my /5. I'm not sure if the GS came with the plain rubber type ?

Had some left over from an 1100 oilhead. larger outer diameter but fitted nice and snug and no leaks so far.

Going for neoprene, if its good enough for high pressure fuel systems and doesn't need clips then its worth a shot.

I recently ordered a metre of the tweed coated type from Uli's Motorradladen. Still waiting on delivery but
it's the proper type for my /5. I'm not sure if the GS came with the plain rubber type ?
All depends on whether or not that hose is ethanol proof, nowadays I find that the cloth covered hose starts to breakdown in around 12 months, but the ethanol proof hoses are really too stiff.

Charles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even though neoprene on its way, I have no cracking on hose even though gone hard so may just keep it on standby in case leaks develop if tubing fails to get a solid grip when put back on the taps after I've disconnected a few times when removing tank.

I got all togged up for a ride yesterday then found fuel dripping from one of the carbs. Mine's an '82 R 100RS. Buggereuggerugger. It turned out to be the hoses, at three joints. OK, it probably started as a trickle from one and then the rest joined in. I know I've got some spare hose somewhere but it remained stubbornly hidden but I did have some of that clear plastic reinforced hose (neoprene, perhaps?) of rather greater outside diameter than the original braided rubber stuff. It fitted very snugly on the nipple fitting thingies and seems to have worked without leaking a drop so far.

There seems to be no strong preference either way on this thread as to what hose to use so I'll leave it in place for now, or at least until it starts to misbehave. As for the original braided rubber stuff, I think that's about six years old by now so I'll make a point of changing them every five years or so as it isn't unusual to find a leak from one of the ten joints on the bike, Motor Works charge something like £7 to £8 incuding postage for a metre length, cheap enough every five years.
:beerjug:

With modern fuels you are lucky to get much more than a year out of the standard braided hose. It doesn't like ethanol much. Modern FI hose lasts longer but is very stiff. R9 is supposed to be the standard for ethanol resistant hose.

FI is pressure resistant hose for fuel injected vehicles, J9 as the SAE minimum standard of chemical resistance required to cope with the way contemporary fuels are formulated.
BMW OEM hoses were 6mm x 11mm , most braided hoses are 7 mm x 14 mm with no SAE rating so they are simply the wrong size for the nipples and the wrong grade for the fuel, which makes fitting the stuff seem like an exercise in futility to me!

FI is pressure resistant hose for fuel injected vehicles, J9 as the SAE minimum standard of chemical resistance required to cope with the way contemporary fuels are formulated.
BMW OEM hoses were 6mm x 11mm , most braided hoses are 7 mm x 14 mm with no SAE rating so they are simply the wrong size for the nipples and the wrong grade for the fuel, which makes fitting the stuff seem like an exercise in futility to me!
Curses! Which hoses would you recommend?

Please? :)

Try having a look at the Gates site, the have some that meet current standards
.http://www.gatesaustralia.com.au/~/...ar-fuel-system-hose-flyer-ausnz-june-2015.pdf

I like the 6.3 mm reinforced multi layer auto hose because it stays put without clamps, and a decent one like a Gates hose has a UV resistant outer, a chemical resistant inner, and a few others in between.
And FWIW , if you can track down some of the auto hose made to fit between the petrol cap and the tank some Jap stuff is the same size as 32 mm carb intake tubes and it too is extreme high quality as it is usually required to last the lifetime of the car.
Discovered by accident when some pattern stuff I had just fitted to my R75/7 dissolved in petrol and a carb landed on my foot Luckily I coasted to a stop outside a Jap wrecker------------. That was around 20 years ago and the car stuff is still as good as the day it was fitted, and it probably came from a twenty year old car!

Despite having a metre of new neoprene hose on standby, I have decided to just wait for the old hardened hose to give trouble before I replace it. I fitted in line fuel filters the other day and had to warm up the hoses with a hair dryer to get them supple enough to allow full penetration :eek: of the spigots. The hose it internally braided (braiding is imbedded in hose structure, not on interior surface)and showed no signs of cracking despite my vigorous initial attempts to fit the filters while hose was cold and hard.

One way these hoses can fail is for little bits of black rubber travel down the hose and hinge up your carbs

Back
Top Bottom