Thorny issue of renewal premiums...

KMD

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
That time of year again for me and to avoid being ambushed with an 'auto renewal' at a higher premium, I contacted my current broker, Be Wiser today to see what it was going to cost. Initial price, comprehensive cover, sdp and no commuting was £179.50. I was only paying about £188 for the GS and a ZX9R together until recently when I sold the Kawasaki.

Pointing this out brought an immediate reduction to £164.50, a bit more talking and it was £154.50, and after finding some extra 'bonus' which could be applied because it's my birthday soon or some such, I paid £126.50. That's £53, which is a fair chunk out of the original quote and an amount I can only assume would've gone straight into the profit margin. So always ask , there is almost certain to be a discount there for you.

That time of year again for me and to avoid being ambushed with an 'auto renewal' at a higher premium, I contacted my current broker, Be Wiser today to see what it was going to cost. Initial price, comprehensive cover, sdp and no commuting was £179.50. I was only paying about £188 for the GS and a ZX9R together until recently when I sold the Kawasaki.

Pointing this out brought an immediate reduction to £164.50, a bit more talking and it was £154.50, and after finding some extra 'bonus' which could be applied because it's my birthday soon or some such, I paid £126.50. That's £53, which is a fair chunk out of the original quote and an amount I can only assume would've gone straight into the profit margin. So always ask , there is almost certain to be a discount there for you.

Iv'e just swapped, from Bennetts multi bike policy which they wanted £295 for. To Swinton, a company i have used in the past, at £165. The thing is , you cannot get multi bike policies on line apparently, and i only rang swinton to speak about my full 9 yrs n/c bonus , to just insure the BM. When they searched my old records , they informed me , i could also insure my Kawasaki with them again , on a multi bike policy; result; both bikes covered on one policy £130 cheaper than Bennetts. That's almost a pair of tourance tyres.:beerjug:

I firmly believe that they make it up as they go along. Funny how they can drop the price at the drop of a hat just to try and get your business so they can try and screw you the next year when it comes up for renewal. Like most things nowadays there is no such thing as loyalty, especially from insurance company's. I'm sure our resident insurance guru will have some convoluted explanation, but that will all be insurance industry waffle as is his want.

Like airline, taxi, rail and hotel room charges, they are a thing of complete mystery. Just be thankful, that unlike your 12 tins of White Lightning from Lidl, you can haggle the price downwards right up to the checkout till.

Got my renewal letter from BMW yesterday for my 2015 TE LC: fully comp, commuting, business use, no mileage limit, 2-post codes, £450 excess, 60% NCB.

Total of £217.89 - I thought premiums would be up hugely this year, but this is a bit less than I paid last year with the same level of NCB. It's a funny old business this insurance lark!

Got my renewal letter from BMW yesterday for my 2015 TE LC: fully comp, commuting, business use, no mileage limit, 2-post codes, £450 excess, 60% NCB.

Total of £217.89 - I thought premiums would be up hugely this year, but this is a bit less than I paid last year with the same level of NCB. It's a funny old business this insurance lark!

Mine was £100.70 everything the same as yours apart from excess of only £100 and one postcode.. My point is if you stay with an insurance company they try to screw you, move on and you get it cheaper, Why ? simples, pocket lining.

Mine was £100.70 everything the same as yours apart from excess of only £100 and one postcode.. My point is if you stay with an insurance company they try to screw you, move on and you get it cheaper, Why ? simples, pocket lining.

I am happy to stay with BMW/Devitts/ERS at the moment - the difficulty with selecting insurance is that you only really find out how good they are when you need to make a claim.

My two post codes bump it up a bit, as the premium is based on the 'worst' one, which in my case is the Bedfordshire one (actually SGxx, which is Stevenage for some weird reason), If I only had the Cambridgeshire one it would be about £50 cheaper.

Like most things nowadays there is no such thing as loyalty, especially from insurance company's.

Loyalty.. Pah, Loyalty only works one way and not worth the renewal paper it comes printed on... After talking to a nice lady on the phone i dropped my UK based insurance company after 23 years of excellent service and went with an overseas registered online only company who were £1.74p cheaper.

I know we need to keep employment and business in the UK but really, trying to rip me off for £1.74, it's just not on.
I'd much rather spend weeks of my time trying to contact and sort any future claim speaking with Terry from Mumbia.

Loyalty.. Pah, Loyalty only works one way and not worth the renewal paper it comes printed on... After talking to a nice lady on the phone i dropped my UK based insurance company after 23 years of excellent service and went with an overseas registered online only company who were £1.74p cheaper.

I know we need to keep employment and business in the UK but really, trying to rip me off for £1.74, it's just not on.
I'd much rather spend weeks of my time trying to contact and sort any future claim speaking with Terry from Mumbia.

Im really glad you managed to save the princely sum of £1.74 just imagine what you can spend that on ! Im in an even better position of saving well over £60 ! That can almost buy a house up in the stix here don't you know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have worked in or around the insurance industry for years. Would I stay with any insurer - would I feck. Shopping around is king.

It's exactly the same with the AA. Renewal this year £256. Phone them and complain,5 minutes later after they apply various discounts etc renewal now £134. It's the same game every year,loyalty means absolutely nothing ( well it would have meant an extra £122 to them)

Iv'e just swapped, from Bennetts multi bike policy which they wanted £295 for. To Swinton, a company i have used in the past, at £165. The thing is , you cannot get multi bike policies on line apparently, and i only rang swinton to speak about my full 9 yrs n/c bonus , to just insure the BM. When they searched my old records , they informed me , i could also insure my Kawasaki with them again , on a multi bike policy; result; both bikes covered on one policy £130 cheaper than Bennetts. That's almost a pair of tourance tyres.:beerjug:

I once got prosecuted for no insurance getting a big fine and 9 points. My solicitor friend said I don't need him to come represent me, just show my policy and evidence of the monthly deductions from my account paying for the policy.

Swinton hadn't registered me but were still collecting the money. I had all evidence to prove I had been paying but it meant nothing. 9 points was enough to prevent me from being able to afford insurance on my bike. Was 30 years ago but I loved my bike !

Got my multi bike renewal from CN (gsa,katana 1100, ccm 404 and xr250) £320.

Did a bit of online stuff and Bennets managed to get the same cover down to £361 !!!!!!!!!!!!

Went on comparison sites and got an 4 individual quotes one for each bike with the same levels of cover and it was just under £300, thought multi bike policies were supposed to save you money.

Might pop into Swintons on Saturday and see what they say

So what gets you £100.70?
Who with, how old, NCB, security, rough location?

If you can get it that cheap, we'd all like a crack at it

Mart

Just got my renewal from BMW/Devitts (1200 GSA) £334.00.
Last year I paid £171.00
No Claims in the last 9 years.
Filled up Devitts online quote for a new policy £87.00 a year.
Think I will go for the new quote and cancel the old one.

Yup I had Bikesure last year and the renewal came in at £216 when it was 140 last year. Nothing changed yet premium went up £76. Indeed I had better cover from Devitt (class 1 business use) than Bikesure yet was less than half the price. We just have to jump through the renewal hoop every year so that Wapping & his pals don't become too fat on our hard earned :eek::augie:D

Back
Top Bottom