Unlower a low suspension model?

Hi,

I have a request. Could someone measure their centre stand on a std height bike and let me know the length from the centre of the top pivot to the bottom of the stand?

I can't think of another way (sort of phone BMW UK) if this is a Low suspension model or not.

The seat is definitely a LS variety - the original sales invoice and my rear end confirm it...

Thank you in advance

Steve

2012 GS TC center stand length from pivot to foot Approx 325 mm.
I say approx as I have cut mine down by 40 mm so now 285 mm as I have fitted lower Wilbers.
There is now approx 25mm gap rear tyre to ground when on the center stand, same as stock.
My seat height is 805 mm on one helmet ESA. ( sergeant seat ,low setting).
Wilbers are good, cant say how low mine are as purchased S/H from here and installed a 5 mm pre-load spacer in the rear.

I have a lowered bike,the rear shocks been changed to a Wilbur shock.The length of the shock of a standard to lowered is only is only 10mm.This is nearly 30mm at rear wheel.On my bike there is a sticker I can see on the front shock that says lowered also.
I wouldn't sell your standard side stand until you try the bike with the lowered shock as mine leans heavily over with the shorter side stand ,I'm looking to put a standard one on to see if it's any better.On BMW computer my bike also says seat height reduction but the shocks were owered too.Probably something your insurance might want to know about as it's a lteration from original bike.

I checked the centre stand today, it is 290mm, so fits with MistaCats observations.

I bought the bike knowing that it was low suspension and the discovered it was low seat as well. I always intended to upgrade the suspension, so I don't see a major hassle with the insurer - I would have to advise of the non-standard shocks.

I'm going to contact BMW to see what data they have on the bike out of curiosity, it would be good to know the spec it left the factory as.

I've only had a limited chance to ride the bike as I've been on my sick bed most of the week. But I can safely say for a 6 ft bloke, it is far, far too low!!! Feels like a Hornet sized GS - weird!! And the low seat must be made of concrete...

But a lovely bike, lighter steering and better handling than my old 1150 - which I thought was the best handling bike I'd ever owned. For me it will be improved by making it all growed up :).

The only decision I have to make now is free up cash by selling my 955i Tiger first or just crash the credit card for the new suspension...

Back
Top Bottom