Mudsling, why so expensive?

I think its excellent people have the option of two good solutions.

I've ordered the Mudsling rear and fender extender. It's a lot of money for plastic, but they seem well tested and long standing reliability. Also covered by Sales of Goods Act. Should get decent money back sold second hand.

Chinese copy is also good for a decent cost saving but you have absolutely no chance of retribution if it shattered in freezing temps and blows your tyre out. Not that it would... but you get the idea of randomly unexpected situations.

However, look at ASV Levers. How are they still in business when loads of people buy cheap Chinese copies? ... and they are mission critical components.

Sometimes there is no catch, its just cheap...

I removed the Mudsling and Avant from my 2015 GS this morning. I just hope they fit the 2017 bike I have on order for next week, otherwise eBay-bound.

I removed the Mudsling and Avant from my 2015 GS this morning. I just hope they fit the 2017 bike I have on order for next week, otherwise eBay-bound.

they wont i will gladly give you a tenner for em:D

If you bring 'em along tomorrow, I'll give you £11 - just to piss Andy off...

BTW, you've taken so much off that old red bike, I'm not surprised it wasn't worth much!!

right thats you leading the newbies tomorrow:D

Ok My Chinese Copy 'splash guard' arrived today ( much quicker than anticipated) and compared to the proper Mudsling it is a little shorter by about 3 inches by eye . Not a problem as it still covers the strut and gives similar extra cover at the sides. It is not as well finished or moulded as the Mud Sling.....But, It went on just fine, is secured the same way, does not rattle or move when the cable tues are snugged up and is ABS or Poply Prop and for 25 Quid or so will do just fine thank you.

:D

Mine turned up after about 10 days which is quite good from China, fits good looks good, and does the job it's supposed too.
Bargain £25

Terry

5d82188ef4e47566bd74930d6a3b1488.jpg

This is one I got

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

How much did you get charged for tax as it's imported from USA??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do believe they come from China, just charged in US$.

as above... from China and it took exactly 7 days from order to delivered. No tax as it is under the £130 (ish) limit. I have to say, I'm very impressed with the quality and fitment. For £28 delivered you can't beat it.:clap

Anybody got one of these Chinese version alongside Mudsling version in pictures?

Email to Nippy Normans

I decided to send an email to Nippy Normans a couple of days ago, challenging them on the price for Mudsling products and were they aware Chinese Copies were on the UK shopping list for most GS Buyers now.

I asked them to reconsider their pricing on that basis or they could be losing a lot of revenue and customers as the 'Chinese option' spreads in popularity.

I even considered cancelling my order with them to be honest.

Here is their email reply which they gave permission for me to post on here.....

"Thanks for the information Steve about the Chinese products.

These are not even copies but copies of a copy and are poor quality.

They are thermoformed (vacuum formed) which is not a precise process. The final shape requires routing, leaving cutting marks around the perimeter which on one of the copies we can see is not even sanded smooth. Accurate dimensional tolerances are hard to achieve with this manufacturing process.

We are selling more MudSlings than ever because BMW owners want a quality product for their quality bike with full back up.

We do not make excessive profit on them considering the cost of the initial tooling, shipping costs and the cost of developing a quality product.

Our product is moulded like any plastic part on your BMW – these moulds cost tens of thousands of dollars.

The copy from China is not made in this way and BMW would never use vacuum forming for any components.

You can buy knock offs of everything these days – helmets, gloves, watches etc.

There was an interesting article on the radio the other day calling on people to not support knock offs as they are often of inferior quality produced in poor conditions by low paid workers or even children and also support crime in some cases.

Bear in mind that as well as the mentioned tooling costs our products are also covered by product liability insurance by us and by the manufacturer.

Still no problem to return the MachineArt products if you wish. Please send as received to the address on the website with a note.

You can post what we have said on UKGSer’s if you want to.

Regards
NN"

Back
Top Bottom