Mudsling, why so expensive?

I think its fair play to at least give them the heads up on what the trend is, give them a chance to change tactic if they want. :beerjug:

To be fair they're never going to be able to compete with Chinese copies. N,N, don't manufacture Mudslingers or set the price, they can only set the retail price.

I decided to send an email to Nippy Normans a couple of days ago, challenging them on the price for Mudsling products and were they aware Chinese Copies were on the UK shopping list for most GS Buyers now.

I asked them to reconsider their pricing on that basis or they could be losing a lot of revenue and customers as the 'Chinese option' spreads in popularity.

I even considered cancelling my order with them to be honest.

Here is their email reply which they gave permission for me to post on here.....

"Thanks for the information Steve about the Chinese products.

These are not even copies but copies of a copy and are poor quality.

They are thermoformed (vacuum formed) which is not a precise process. The final shape requires routing, leaving cutting marks around the perimeter which on one of the copies we can see is not even sanded smooth. Accurate dimensional tolerances are hard to achieve with this manufacturing process.

We are selling more MudSlings than ever because BMW owners want a quality product for their quality bike with full back up.

We do not make excessive profit on them considering the cost of the initial tooling, shipping costs and the cost of developing a quality product.

Our product is moulded like any plastic part on your BMW – these moulds cost tens of thousands of dollars.

The copy from China is not made in this way and BMW would never use vacuum forming for any components.

You can buy knock offs of everything these days – helmets, gloves, watches etc.

There was an interesting article on the radio the other day calling on people to not support knock offs as they are often of inferior quality produced in poor conditions by low paid workers or even children and also support crime in some cases.

Bear in mind that as well as the mentioned tooling costs our products are also covered by product liability insurance by us and by the manufacturer.

Still no problem to return the MachineArt products if you wish. Please send as received to the address on the website with a note.

You can post what we have said on UKGSer’s if you want to.

Regards
NN"

What a load of bollox, well they would say all that. Chinese copies are the future for GS MODS

I have been following this thread. I can't disagree with NN,but at the end of the day it's a piece of plastic to keep watery mud away from components as much as possible. Some people have even made home made guards with pieces of rubber. If it fits and works,people will buy it, will it affect the warranty, no.
I bet before the end of the year NN will have a sale on, but by then most people will have a Chinese one.

why spend 15k on a bike then skimp on proper fitting protection which never loses much value on the 2nd hand market anyway , if you decide to sell in the future.

I think the danger here is to assume all BMW GS owners are rich and will pay anything for everything..

With PCP Deals you can get a new one with a small part exchange bike and low monthly payments. But that'll leave some people stretched.

Also those that can afford it either earn enough to literally not be bothered, or outraged that they're being ripped off.

So value for money needs to be demonstrated at least, or you're wide open for critisism and people will jump to a cheaper alternative just out of protest.

I think the danger here is to assume all BMW GS owners are rich and will pay anything for everything..

With PCP Deals you can get a new one with a small part exchange bike and low monthly payments. But that'll leave some people stretched.

Also those that can afford it either earn enough to literally not be bothered, or outraged that they're being ripped off.

So value for money needs to be demonstrated at least, or you're wide open for critisism and people will jump to a cheaper alternative just out of protest.

Indeed.
Chinese plastic on it's way.
I have had a full exhaust system and lovely alloy levers for my CRF250l all from Hong Kong, the exhaust has not rusted and has survived quite a few tumbles all for 1/3rd of the price of the top end kit.

why spend 15k on a bike then skimp on proper fitting protection which never loses much value on the 2nd hand market anyway , if you decide to sell in the future.

the development of that argument is why when your are spending £15k do you need additional proper protection anyway

"Thanks for the information Steve about the Chinese products.

These are not even copies but copies of a copy and are poor quality.

They are thermoformed (vacuum formed) which is not a precise process. The final shape requires routing, leaving cutting marks around the perimeter which on one of the copies we can see is not even sanded smooth. Accurate dimensional tolerances are hard to achieve with this manufacturing process.

We are selling more MudSlings than ever because BMW owners want a quality product for their quality bike with full back up.

We do not make excessive profit on them considering the cost of the initial tooling, shipping costs and the cost of developing a quality product.

Our product is moulded like any plastic part on your BMW – these moulds cost tens of thousands of dollars.
NN"

It's true that the tooling for injection moulding is a lot more expensive - but you can then manufacture the part at a fraction of the cost of vac forming..... It wouldn't surprise me that the factory that make the genuine Mudsling product also supply other companies that are selling them cheaper, once you have the tool you can churn them out by the thousands.

EDIT:
see point 4 on this site.....
https://www.slideshare.net/rayplastics/thermoforming-vs-injectionmolding

Amazingly, in the USA, BMW dealers in San Fran, they have listed a Touratech splash guard, same as mudsling, even describes how it protects the suspension unit. Price $60. Dam sight cheaper than UK. Might get myself one when over there.:thumb2

This country is so massively taxed its a joke, I have ordered a cheap Chinese one and just waiting for it to arrive, I just cant justify that much on a mudsling just to keep the dirt off something that should of been done in the factory, the trouble is that BMW want all the little people to make money selling aftermarket parts to us but then they are just too expensive so why don't BMW just make one from the off ?

They are not a cheap bike and to have to spend a shed load of money on other parts it just makes it ridiculous

Exactly

Uk is known as 'treasure island' and we're overcharged for most things

Me - I'd buy the chinky one, fit it and if there were any points of concern about fitment then I would helicopter tape those bits of frame or swingarm and/or trim the chinky copy accordingly

How technical can a bit of black plastic get ?

A genuine mudsling for £150???

Hell, I can get a genuine complete brand new plastic bumper from Toyota for my Hiace van for £256, the moulding on that is 20x more intricate & difficult - than a mudsling :blast

This country is so massively taxed its a joke, I have ordered a cheap Chinese one and just waiting for it to arrive, I just cant justify that much on a mudsling just to keep the dirt off something that should of been done in the factory, the trouble is that BMW want all the little people to make money selling aftermarket parts to us but then they are just too expensive so why don't BMW just make one from the off ?

They are not a cheap bike and to have to spend a shed load of money on other parts it just makes it ridiculous

Aha - back in the day the 1150 GS & earlier bikes had proper full length rear mudguards and even a little rear rubber mudflap to cover the shock

Those were the days

Exactly

Uk is known as 'treasure island' and we're overcharged for most things

Me - I'd buy the chinky one, fit it and if there were any points of concern about fitment then I would helicopter tape those bits of frame or swingarm and/or trim the chinky copy accordingly

How technical can a bit of black plastic get ?

A genuine mudsling for £150???

Hell, I can get a genuine complete brand new plastic bumper from Toyota for my Hiace van for £256, the moulding on that is 20x more intricate & difficult - than a mudsling :blast

Well said 👍🏼

IF you wanted a genuine one not a knock off, order from US, including international shipping works out as £108, still a big saving.

IF you wanted a genuine one not a knock off, order from US, including international shipping works out as £108, still a big saving.

Does that include duty and VAT?

NN sell a Mudsling + Avant twin-pack. A Snip @ £169. I think it was £149 two years ago when I got mine.

Duty and VAT on an import will add around 20% to a with-shipping price.

i fitted the machineart mudsling, fender extender, and cylinder guards from nippy normans and fitted perfectly and top quality kit. Well finished, well packaged and good instructions and no doubt will do what they are suppose to.
added bonus is they will sell if i ever remove from the bike at a good price.

Back
Top Bottom