To Carb or not to Carb, that is the question (sort of)

gingerbeemer08

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Greetings,
I'm on the cusp of buying an 883 Sportster/ Iron but of the two I'm looking at, one is a 2006 on carbs, the other a later model on fuel injection (surprisingly little price difference!).
Any reason why I should go with one over the other??

Ta!

I run Carbs ( Well Carb to be pedantic as there is only one!) - Icing can be an issue from time to time - especially on damp days.... the newer FI systems are fine - buy the one you most like the look of, it will be fine..

Get whichever one you fancy, within a year you'll be looking for a big twin anyway!

Neither.....get a 1200.....

After riding both there's no way I'd buy an 883 unless it was enough cheaper to also buy the 1200 kit, taller final gearing change, and labor which to make it a 1200.

But between the two you mention I'd lean to FI but mileage and condition the most important.

The 1200 Sporty is much more useable then the 883....but if it's got to be the 883 I'd go FI all day long

Thanks all. No point saying go for a 1200 as I dont really want one of those (styling wise).
Next question: difference between a standard sportster and the Roadster? Is one better than the other and why?

Right ! listen up gingerbollocks, I will say this only fucking once.

A carburated, rubber mounted 1200R.

Do not fucking question me any further until you have found and bought one.

Andres the hippy.

Hey Ginge

I have an 883 Iron (FI and stage one) and I think it's fab. :thumb2

Go for it!

Ha! I do love this forum.
You ask for information on a specific bike and people tell you to buy a different one! Mint! "I'd like to buy an apple, can anyone tell me about apples? I can only afford an apple", answer= "Buy an Orange".
The reason I dont want a 1200 is because I've yet to see one, in the price range I can afford, that doesnt look like it fell out of the chrome tree, and landed in the tasteless modification bucket at the bottom.
I like the 883 Iron and Sportster because I personally think they look more understated and "bad-ass" and arent covered in chrome.
Doris, I no longer have a BMW as the GS is overpriced, poorly manufactured, German junk now and should be called the BMW Clitoris (because every c**nts got one), I just couldnt be arsed to change my name on here!
I do however like Andres (Outomunch) advice and attitude! Hell, he sounds like a good guy!!

You ask for information on a specific bike and people tell you to buy a different one! Mint! "I'd like to buy an apple, can anyone tell me about apples? I can only afford an apple", answer= "Buy an Orange".
The reason I dont want a 1200 is because I've yet to see one, in the price range I can afford, that doesnt look like it fell out of the chrome tree, and landed in the tasteless modification bucket at the bottom.
I like the 883 Iron and Sportster because I personally think they look more understated and "bad-ass" and arent covered in chrome.
Doris, I no longer have a BMW as the GS is overpriced, poorly manufactured, German junk now and should be called the BMW Clitoris (because every c**nts got one), I just couldnt be arsed to change my name on here!
I do however like Andres (Outomunch) advice and attitude! Hell, he sounds like a good guy!!

could you give details on said bikes ?
mls, history, condition etc ?
not giving anything much to us except one is older and about the same money, go for the one you like the best as its for you
I personally would go for an older big twin than a smaller 883 personally but if its something your set on then I would go FI

To be brutally honest...no one in this bar really gives a shit what you choose...:D. however...you're just having a combined experience of many decades telling you what you don't want to hear. Choosing to ignore it is entirely up to you.....yer a big boy now...make yer own mind up.

I really couldn't give a fat rats chuff Doris on opinions of whether a 1200 is better than an 883 (opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one). That's not what I originally asked anyway and I certainly couldn't care less whether people approve of my choice, that's the beauty of motorcycles being individual.

I was after peoples experiences of carb v FI 883's and the main differences between a Roadster and a Sportster, nowt else.
If I'd have asked "what Harley should I buy", different question........

buy the one that's the right colour, in the best condition with the most service history, for the right price.

( I like Carbs.........)

I really couldn't give a fat rats chuff Doris on opinions of whether a 1200 is better than an 883 (opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one). That's not what I originally asked anyway and I certainly couldn't care less whether people approve of my choice, that's the beauty of motorcycles being individual.

I was after peoples experiences of carb v FI 883's and the main differences between a Roadster and a Sportster, nowt else.
If I'd have asked "what Harley should I buy", different question........

Still...at least you are getting to the nitty gritty about why to never ask questions of a technical nature in here. :D

Back
Top Bottom