1290 GT

I wish them luck, by the time the cheap ones go the 2018's will be in stock, who will then want a 2017 model at full list / £5k over what they had been sold for earlier?

Exactly what I was thinking.

Silver colour is dropped and in its place is black :drool

pho_stage.jpg

I reckon you should be able to bag a 2017 model next year for about 14k.

I'm really glad I've got my deposit paid now then, prefer my grey (silver) to the black :)

I reckon you should be able to bag a 2017 model next year for about 14k.

Almost certainly - but crazy not to buy one now at £11k, gives you 6 months to decide if you like it and if not sell it to the guy thinking of paying £14k for the exact same machine at a bargain £11k.

And there I was at a KTM dealer talking the ins and outs today. Yes it makes sense and bloody hell that is a monster engine. 14 plate GSA anybody?

Almost certainly - but crazy not to buy one now at £11k, gives you 6 months to decide if you like it and if not sell it to the guy thinking of paying £14k for the exact same machine at a bargain £11k.

Seems like sound advice.

Thats exactly the point I've taken, I'm happy with my VFR1200X DCT for touring and I'm not planning on selling it, will be taking delivery of the GT (I'm told it will have to be before end this year) but will just store it until warmer weather (cars are for when its cold&wet) and if I dont get on with the GT I will sell it on, got a ferry to Spain booked in June, so maybe use it for that.

Have you ridden it gadget?

I reckon if you fit on it you will love it, sensible 23L tank (unlike the Honda) and power / handling that will amaze, it did vibe a bit at certain revs, but I guess going faster (or slower) or even choosing another gear would solve that problem.

I tested the 1290R, my local dealer didn't have a demo GT, liked the R, but found the suspension a bit harsh on the local lanes, I'm hoping the semi-active suspension on the GT will be an improvement.

I tested the 1290R, my local dealer didn't have a demo GT, liked the R, but found the suspension a bit harsh on the local lanes, I'm hoping the semi-active suspension on the GT will be an improvement.

If you found the R harsh, I’d imagine the suspension on the GT won’t be any better, as it’s more sports than tourer.

If you found the R harsh, I’d imagine the suspension on the GT won’t be any better, as it’s more sports than tourer.

The R I borrowed was harsh compared to my GT and I leave mine in sport suspension setting the comfort mode is the softest feel, it wallows over poor surfaces and the street has no dive on the front end.

There was talk of 2017 bikes having some suspension revisions ! (These bikes are 2017) what I did find is you need to put some miles on the bike to allow the suspension to bed in, with miles they get much better.

I'm sure everyone whom has bought one will love em, oh get it Hilltopped and it will laugh at the XR

Fantastic deal on an exciting bike. Did 6k on mine including Alps.
Makes for a very quick sport bike you can tour on, on smooth roads. Would suggest an extended test ride to anyone who is considering this as a GS replacement though, because;
Its nowhere near as comfy, in fact the seat is a thing of torture
Wind protection is not of touring standard
Front suspension is impossible to get just right

Take one out and try the various suspension settings on known quick road. If majority of roads you do are super smooth then it may be ok. If you ride hard, be prepared for ANY poor road surface or bumps on a corner as the bike is seriously unsettled in that situation. Have a proper internet search regarding owners and the suspension.
You might love it, there is a lot to like. Suspension is a massive let down though at 11k a bargain. I couldnt find a company who was prepared to, or knew how to work on the electronic suspension. Add in the fact it was fairly uncomfortable after a few days riding....back to a GS, which I now appreciate even more since the improvements on 17 on bikes.

The Semi Active stuff on the 1290S is nowhere near as good on bumps as the conventional suspension on my 1190S so don't expect that to make it a lot better, but a Superduke (even in GT trim) is not the ideal bike for bumpy back roads.

Back
Top Bottom