1290 GT

one thing to note, i had all my sag settings measure and with me being 13 stone i was just borderline of being acceptable so if your under this weight you may need more pies, however I'm not sure what the typical tosser weight is !! also ktm can alter the rear pre-load by 5mm either way.

Its the harsh action of the front forks that is the issue. Works one minute, not the next. Tried all settings and settled on sport plus 2 rider which jacked the back up a tad. But still not right for anything but smooth roads.
In context, S1r sport worked much better and that is an all out sportbike.
The GT is not is the same league as GS or Multistrada for the balance of composure over bad surfaces v outright handling. It would work best on a track though, but thats not where I ride my bikes. BTW weigh in at 13 and a half stone. Two up the bike was better, so part of the issue must be front spring rate. Its odd though that the back has a lot of suspension travel compared to the front. I feel that may also be part of the problem.

@ j biker I thought you sold your bike because you have a serious back issue ? Obviously that wouldn't help matters.

I use 3/4 of the travel on the front forks so they are working, I would also say my carbon wheels probably help what I feel at the bars.

If mine was shite I would be the first to moan trust me, I've done 3 trips abroad, been to the ring, toured fully loaded in torrential rain and it's been one of the better bikes I've bought and thats comparing against the XR and DVT bikes .

The R I borrowed was harsh compared to my GT and I leave mine in sport suspension setting the comfort mode is the softest feel, it wallows over poor surfaces and the street has no dive on the front end.

There was talk of 2017 bikes having some suspension revisions ! (These bikes are 2017) what I did find is you need to put some miles on the bike to allow the suspension to bed in, with miles they get much better.

I'm sure everyone whom has bought one will love em, oh get it Hilltopped and it will laugh at the XR

I don't think it would leave an XR ever......

Its the harsh action of the front forks that is the issue. Works one minute, not the next. Tried all settings and settled on sport plus 2 rider which jacked the back up a tad. But still not right for anything but smooth roads.
In context, S1r sport worked much better and that is an all out sportbike.
The GT is not is the same league as GS or Multistrada for the balance of composure over bad surfaces v outright handling. It would work best on a track though, but thats not where I ride my bikes. BTW weigh in at 13 and a half stone. Two up the bike was better, so part of the issue must be front spring rate. Its odd though that the back has a lot of suspension travel compared to the front. I feel that may also be part of the problem.

Thats one of the reasons I sold my SD SE, the suspension was shite on normal roads, the performance was inconsistent and the brakes were appalling, pogoing to a stop at every junction :blast. I was told to do some high speed breaking to cure the brakes but after slamming my nuts into the tank so many times I was a soprano and they still pogoed I gave up. On the occasions I needed the performance it was a lottery as to whether it would take off like a "beast" or just saunter along, the handling was choppy and imprecise so weighed it in. Maybe I had a runt :nenau

@ j biker I thought you sold your bike because you have a serious back issue ? Obviously that wouldn't help matters.

I use 3/4 of the travel on the front forks so they are working, I would also say my carbon wheels probably help what I feel at the bars.

If mine was shite I would be the first to moan trust me, I've done 3 trips abroad, been to the ring, toured fully loaded in torrential rain and it's been one of the better bikes I've bought and thats comparing against the XR and DVT bikes .

That was a big part of it. I still lust after 1299 panigale etc but the reality is my body wont take it for more than a day. To be fair though, with the mixed weather, roads and a mix of touring and hooning on back roads...the GS takes some beating. It was suprise to find I liked the BM handling as so much. Very planted.
3/4 fork travel sounds ok, but doesnt rectify a harsh action or the bike tendency to try and stand up mid corner if the road is bumpy. The GS just gets on with without drama.

Anyway, horses for courses to an extent. They are very different but capable bikes.

It wouldn’t laugh at my XR with full system & Hilltop remap!

I was thinking of you when we overlapped your graph against mine and im sorry to say you came in last position, i think you struggled to get anywhere near the torque master :p

I was thinking of you when we overlapped your graph against mine and im sorry to say you came in last position, i think you struggled to get anywhere near the torque master :p

The KTM has more torque, granted, but it would never “laugh” at a Hilltopped XR with a full system.

I don’t have the graph any more, but remember that my XR had more BHP, but the torque was less (but not by that much).

Nutty, bhp makes headlines, torque makes the world go round.

The KTM has more torque, granted, but it would never “laugh” at a Hilltopped XR with a full system.

I don’t have the graph any more, but remember that my XR had more BHP, but the torque was less (but not by that much).

shame you aint got the graph as it clearly shows where the Xr makes its power in relation to the GT - 90ft/lbs is not even close :pullface

That was a big . I still lust after 1299 panigale .

Makes a GT & XR mopeds in Comparison....Mines Hilltoped... 107ft & 196 RWHP @ 167kg Thats power :D In the real world im as quick on my GS..Set up with some nice suspension its unbeatable

Makes a GT & XR mopeds in Comparison....Mines Hilltoped... 107ft & 196 RWHP @ 167kg Thats power :D In the real world im as quick on my GS..Set up with some nice suspension its unbeatable

someone always spoils ya fun :dabone

After the willy waving has stopped, admit that its about power that can be used on the road matched to good suspension. IMO the S1r was/is faster than the GT on a good road surface. But if the road surface is iffy, wet, unkown origins, or bumpy..then the GS wins hands down.

Where's your evidence !

Makes more power and torque, the GT stomps on

That might be the case , however if you look at the tests of say the R vs the SDR you will struggle to find one showing the KtM is faster I;a straight line or round a track , in fact the Beemer nearly always comes out on top.
The limited time I’ve had on both bikes would suggest there’s fuck all in it

Unless of course you’re comparing charts :rolleyes:

Stop sword fighting with your cocks ,both bikes are great and in most cases 98% of us couldn’t get the best out of a 600cc on the road without becoming somebody’s bitch in prison 😂 I have a mate with a tired old 1250 bandit and not much of anything can keep with him on the roads ,all sbout the rider 👍

Back
Top Bottom