1290 GT

I’ve put Loctite stud lock on the screws holding the small plates to the main rack frame because they came loose after about 300miles and while I can cope with the minor inconvenience of a loose rack when I’m close to home I don’t want it happening when I’m away on holiday.

Having ‘lost’ my top box last year off my Crosstourer on the NC500, when the mounting bolts completely disappeared I can see your concern, it appears to me from your pictures that these intermediate mounting plates will be the weak link in the assembly and not as strong as the original design.

Anything that gets rattled around and has screws that go in from the bottom with no nut on top is a recipe for disaster, add in lack of routine maintenance and that’s why I use Loctite. Even KTM put Loctite on similarly positioned fasteners (you’ll find that out for yourself when you undo the pillion footrest hangers) so I’m not taking chances :D

And now the photos

185ae9531f5749018e18f9f665bd5de1.jpg

4e01b431ce54d0259898911a20df1ef8.jpg

9b536cb0531bd8929ffd30260f9d322b.jpg

I left the tankbag on because originally I thought it wouldn’t fit but it’s turned out to be rock solid and I like having something I can put my phone in and be able to look at a map without stopping when I’m away from home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fugly, if ever

My Ventura L -brackets arrived today and installed, I'm pleased to find that the 990 pack rack fits perfectly. I also removed the GT grab rail, so that I can install the pack rack on top of the pillion seat, or if I want a small rack as well I also have a double sided pack rack , that I had kept amongst my junk.

Attachments

• IMG_0890.jpg
    IMG_0890.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 334
  • rmQcJWOqR+KbEbzgLkEAcw.jpg
    rmQcJWOqR+KbEbzgLkEAcw.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 338
I considered removing the grab rail but decided against it in the end, I’m not too worried about the pack not being supported when it’s over the pillion seat and if I ever load it up so it’s really heavy I’ll whip the grab rail off short term.

All I need to do is think of somewhere to bugger off to for a couple of days to try it out.

Said the man paid by the company he was endorsing ;-)

What I took from the tweet is that the 1290gt will be updated for next year. How good it is .. take a test ride.. but I do like McWill.

In fairness the current one is hardly a bad bike - I just don't fit on it, otherwise I would of bought one of the give-aways last winter.

Only issue I've had is last week whilst touring the lakes my side stand spur snapped.
473dd9a626f9cf3849a6c8d96a4fe8cc.jpg

It seems the leverage is too much with the extended piece ktm fit, the dealer was going to fit a new stand because they could not get the snapped thread out, I prefer if they don't have to spanner my bike (I'm fussy) so I removed the snapped thread myself, removed the extender and refitted the smaller spur, Sorted. I'm off to Slovenia on it soon.
8fa99c6751de9ea37567a1b440977f45.jpg

Have you fitted a decat pipe or full Akra?

The standard rear manifold/header pipe has integrated heat insulation, to protect the shock from getting too warm I assume.
Anyone any thoughts on / experience of the shock getting too warm with after-market exhaust systems?
Thought there may be an SDR heat shield but not found anything.

60405008000-M.jpg

Back
Top Bottom