Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 1290 GT

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe Bounce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J biker View Post
    Not true, gears will need to be worked, but dont for one minute think the 1290GT does not need to be worked through the gears Having owned S1r and 1290GT, I would say for me the S1r was quicker in the mountains and hairpins. The XR weighs a little bit more the S1r, but has much more foregiving suspension and is ultra stable. The GT is not stable on a bumpy road. In real life there will absolutely nothing between them, apart from the rider on board. Btw theS1r motor has great torque.
    https://youtu.be/C2xQR_fOuns
    Do you know where this video was filmed, as those roads/scenery looks fantastic!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bounce

KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    KTM 400 EXC

Only my opinion but the BMW 1000XR is crazy fast and takes off like a scalded cat BUT it works far better in the S1000RR sports bike and not as well in the XR, just too manic when you redline it in sport mode. Yes you can ride it in dull mode but it defeats the object a bit. I haven’t owned an XR but after 3 test rides and 600 miles it just wasn’t for me.

The 1290 S and and especially the GT aren’t exactly slow but for me the V twin engine just works better and feels nicer in an adventure bike. I know the GT isn’t an adventure bike, it’s still crackers flat out but for me it’s just nicer.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe AndyB_11's Avatar
    I’m going to have a chat with a couple of dealers and if the cost to change from my 1190 to a 1290 GT is the same as that quoted to change to an SAS earlier this year I’ll probably buy myself an early Xmas present.

It’s time to sack the hard luggage and go back to throw overs and a roll bag

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Do it now buddy, before the cost goes up £5k.

The hard luggage for the GT looks quite decent, nice and slim, 30L per side, no ugly mounting brackets, my dealer offered me the touring pack (Panniers and some other shite) for about £800 IIRC.

I reckon (as long as you find it comfy) it will make an awesome solo touring bike, run it for a year or so and then chuck it in for a 1290S if you want to go back to an Adventure, as long as you don't swap back while KTM are offloading leftover GT stock you will lose very little.

I’d just about persuaded myself that I need a full afternoon on an MT10 but the asking price for a pre-reg GT has blown that idea away.

The key is getting what I consider to be the right price for my 1190 given the time of year and the extra £5k miles since I considered chopping it in back in June this year.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe The Nutty GSER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyB_11 View Post
    I’d just about persuaded myself that I need a full afternoon on an MT10 but the asking price for a pre-reg GT has blown that idea away.

The key is getting what I consider to be the right price for my 1190 given the time of year and the extra £5k miles since I considered chopping it in back in June this year.
    You may need to get a wriggle on, as they’ve nearly all gone. There’s been a lot of interest (as you can imagine), and as dealers have had the rug pulled out from under them, won’t bust their balls on a part exchange offer. You’d be better off selling your current bike privately, and going in as a cash buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nutty GSER View Post
    You may need to get a wriggle on, as they’ve nearly all gone. There’s been a lot of interest (as you can imagine), and as dealers have had the rug pulled out from under them, won’t bust their balls on a part exchange offer. You’d be better off selling your current bike privately, and going in as a cash buyer.
    Could you buy the 1290 then sel your bike privatly in March/April next year?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC10 View Post
    Could you buy the 1290 then sel your bike privatly in March/April next year?
    Looking at it from a purely financial angle then yes but something would need to either go through the patio doors and into the dining room or live outside for 6 months. Now while we’ve got a couple of bikes that I think should live in the house my wife (who owns one of them) probably wouldn’t agree. Another option would be to take a couple of them to my mothers place which is 100 miles away and leave them there but I’m not really that worried about changing my bike.

I’ll wait until I know when I’ll be going home (Saturday at the latest) and then phone around and see who’s got one in stock, go and talk money, sign on the dotted line and collect it whenever. If that doesn’t work out then I’ve still got a 2 year old 1190 with about 12k miles on it that I enjoy riding because it’s not life and death, it’s buying a new toy

Test ride booked for Saturday.

Make sure to try the different suspension modes down a bumpy road.

Mate just bought one new for £10999, must be a pre reg but a bargain at that price.

All of the ones on offer at £10,999 are pre registered but that won’t worry me in the slightest bit.

A friend who has owned a GT for about 18 months suggested that I should set the suspension to comfort and rider plus luggage for a couple of thousand miles from new though I’d expected the test bike to have at least a couple of thousand miles on it by now.

I’ll go through all the settings when I have my test ride and I know where to find some uneven roads plus roundabouts with particularly poor surfaces within a few miles of the dealer.

Only ridden twice this year (long story involving old bike crash injuries and surgery)......once to take the SMT for an MOT before selling it a few weeks back......and today...

The plan was to wait until Spring and consider a new bike then however, the GT having been on my radar since launch and coupled now with the almost 'you'd be stupid to pass up' pricing on the 2017 model...

....hang on, a further £500 off the crazy £10999 price tag (apparently a one off to clear showroom stock).......and the right colour...............SOLD

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe GADGET's Avatar
    That's a great deal, did it include the touring pack (panniers etc), as pictured?

I might start waving that photo showing the price as £10,499 at the salesman on Saturday 😀

Got to be worth a try

Quote Originally Posted by GADGET View Post
    That's a great deal, did it include the touring pack (panniers etc), as pictured?
    I wish!!......the £10999 offer everywhere is for the bog standard bike.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe DING-DONG's Avatar
    Being pre-reg when we're the bikes registered !

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast