1290 GT

It’s not cock waving , I don’t even like the Xr much prefer the twin
It’s just a discussion , that’s what’s happens on here on occasion :rolleyes:
Definitely about the rider

Just bought an XR - was very interested in the GT but the dealer couldn't put a decent deal together for my GS as px. Expected this due to the reduction in price but am happy with the XR and think i got a good deal with loads of nice extras already on the bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XR is a great bike I'm sure you will love it, I personally think it's one of the better best bikes that Bmw make and it will not have all the GS issues .

Enjoy

Cheers! I was unfortunately disappointed with my GS but cant put my finger on why and strangely even though heavy and reputation for vibes I found the XR comfy and my hands suffered no more than on the GS too. Hope i made the right decision!

Cheers! I was unfortunately disappointed with my GS but cant put my finger on why and strangely even though heavy and reputation for vibes I found the XR comfy and my hands suffered no more than on the GS too. Hope i made the right decision!

You did. The XR is one of the best bikes I’ve owned, after the 1290S.

I am just too lazy to go chasing the power on a 4 cylinder bike, when I open the throttle I just want it to shift without having to drop 3 gears or slip the clutch.

This is why for me twins rule, and once in the Mountains it is difficult to get a four cylinder bike on cam before the next hairpin on many roads, there is no way an XR will be as quick as quick as a GT / 1290 Adventure (or even an 1190 for that matter) on these roads, the twins will be half way around the next bend before the XR gets up a head of steam out of the last one.

I am just too lazy to go chasing the power on a 4 cylinder bike, when I open the throttle I just want it to shift without having to drop 3 gears or slip the clutch.

The XR will pull from any gear, you don't need to cog down it just goes instantly due to the gearing, if i recall i think mine @ 70mph in top gear was around 7500rpm roughly, downside to the XR, you always seem to be chasing 3 figures as it just wants to ride fast everywhere.

I went to Teasdale Motorcycles in Thirsk yesterday to try to strike a deal, but they’ve already taken eight GS’s in part exchange, so weren’t keen on taking in another. They recommended buying the GT and then selling the GS privately, but did come back with an offer of £6.5k. Allan Jefferies offered £7.7k in the spring against a new BMW. I’m going to see if I can get a better part ex price from Craig’s Motorcycles, but I suspect I’ll be keeping the GS. £4.5k to change is still a bargain, but it’s still £4.5k I don’t need to spend....

I went to Teasdale Motorcycles in Thirsk yesterday to try to strike a deal, but they’ve already taken eight GS’s in part exchange, so weren’t keen on taking in another. They recommended buying the GT and then selling the GS privately, but did come back with an offer of £6.5k. Allan Jefferies offered £7.7k in the spring against a new BMW. I’m going to see if I can get a better part ex price from Craig’s Motorcycles, but I suspect I’ll be keeping the GS. £4.5k to change is still a bargain, but it’s still £4.5k I don’t need to spend....

PM BMMONTY the resident trader - I'm sure he would buy your bike cash, you better act quick tho, ktm are selling these fast and not many units left.

This is why for me twins rule, and once in the Mountains it is difficult to get a four cylinder bike on cam before the next hairpin on many roads, there is no way an XR will be as quick as quick as a GT / 1290 Adventure (or even an 1190 for that matter) on these roads, the twins will be half way around the next bend before the XR gets up a head of steam out of the last one.

Not true, gears will need to be worked, but dont for one minute think the 1290GT does not need to be worked through the gears Having owned S1r and 1290GT, I would say for me the S1r was quicker in the mountains and hairpins. The XR weighs a little bit more the S1r, but has much more foregiving suspension and is ultra stable. The GT is not stable on a bumpy road. In real life there will absolutely nothing between them, apart from the rider on board. Btw theS1r motor has great torque.
https://youtu.be/C2xQR_fOuns

PM BMMONTY the resident trader - I'm sure he would buy your bike cash, you better act quick tho, ktm are selling these fast and not many units left.
Gear 4 have two left.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Not true, gears will need to be worked, but dont for one minute think the 1290GT does not need to be worked through the gears

You never changed the rear sprox to a 40 I take it ? The stock gearing I so wrong, with a 40t rear you never need to work it once you do this mod, your bike sounds like the totally opposite to mine ! I also have serious back issues however I find it really comfortable, apart from the stock seat - 600 mile day my arse felt destroyed but I can live with one negative.

Not true, gears will need to be worked, but dont for one minute think the 1290GT does not need to be worked through the gears Having owned S1r and 1290GT, I would say for me the S1r was quicker in the mountains and hairpins. The XR weighs a little bit more the S1r, but has much more foregiving suspension and is ultra stable. The GT is not stable on a bumpy road. In real life there will absolutely nothing between them, apart from the rider on board. Btw theS1r motor has great torque.
https://youtu.be/C2xQR_fOuns

Do you know where this video was filmed, as those roads/scenery looks fantastic!!

Only my opinion but the BMW 1000XR is crazy fast and takes off like a scalded cat BUT it works far better in the S1000RR sports bike and not as well in the XR, just too manic when you redline it in sport mode. Yes you can ride it in dull mode but it defeats the object a bit. I haven’t owned an XR but after 3 test rides and 600 miles it just wasn’t for me.

The 1290 S and and especially the GT aren’t exactly slow but for me the V twin engine just works better and feels nicer in an adventure bike. I know the GT isn’t an adventure bike, it’s still crackers flat out but for me it’s just nicer.

I’m going to have a chat with a couple of dealers and if the cost to change from my 1190 to a 1290 GT is the same as that quoted to change to an SAS earlier this year I’ll probably buy myself an early Xmas present.

It’s time to sack the hard luggage and go back to throw overs and a roll bag :D

Do it now buddy, before the cost goes up £5k.

The hard luggage for the GT looks quite decent, nice and slim, 30L per side, no ugly mounting brackets, my dealer offered me the touring pack (Panniers and some other shite) for about £800 IIRC.

I reckon (as long as you find it comfy) it will make an awesome solo touring bike, run it for a year or so and then chuck it in for a 1290S if you want to go back to an Adventure, as long as you don't swap back while KTM are offloading leftover GT stock you will lose very little.

I’d just about persuaded myself that I need a full afternoon on an MT10 but the asking price for a pre-reg GT has blown that idea away.

The key is getting what I consider to be the right price for my 1190 given the time of year and the extra £5k miles since I considered chopping it in back in June this year.

I’d just about persuaded myself that I need a full afternoon on an MT10 but the asking price for a pre-reg GT has blown that idea away.

The key is getting what I consider to be the right price for my 1190 given the time of year and the extra £5k miles since I considered chopping it in back in June this year.

You may need to get a wriggle on, as they’ve nearly all gone. There’s been a lot of interest (as you can imagine), and as dealers have had the rug pulled out from under them, won’t bust their balls on a part exchange offer. You’d be better off selling your current bike privately, and going in as a cash buyer.

You may need to get a wriggle on, as they’ve nearly all gone. There’s been a lot of interest (as you can imagine), and as dealers have had the rug pulled out from under them, won’t bust their balls on a part exchange offer. You’d be better off selling your current bike privately, and going in as a cash buyer.

Could you buy the 1290 then sel your bike privatly in March/April next year?

Could you buy the 1290 then sel your bike privatly in March/April next year?

Looking at it from a purely financial angle then yes but something would need to either go through the patio doors and into the dining room or live outside for 6 months. Now while we’ve got a couple of bikes that I think should live in the house my wife (who owns one of them) probably wouldn’t agree. Another option would be to take a couple of them to my mothers place which is 100 miles away and leave them there but I’m not really that worried about changing my bike.

I’ll wait until I know when I’ll be going home (Saturday at the latest) and then phone around and see who’s got one in stock, go and talk money, sign on the dotted line and collect it whenever. If that doesn’t work out then I’ve still got a 2 year old 1190 with about 12k miles on it that I enjoy riding because it’s not life and death, it’s buying a new toy :D

Back
Top Bottom