Strange lights in the night (or not as the case may be)

RPMDAKAR

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I seek the collective wisdom of fellow F650 GS Dakar owners for I have a conondrum that is baffling me. Following the recommissioning of my trusy stead after a 4 month lay up, I had an occasion to use it in the dark, and with Mrs Reg on the back seat my dip beam did a great impression of a WW2 Ack Ack Searchlight, illumination the trees and upper cloud cover. Assistance was forthcoming from a fellow F650 GS owner and the headlight was adjusted accordingly, BUT my night vision was greatly affected by the dash lights being somewhat bright, so I ordered some red covers and removed said instrument assembly and fitted red covers to said bulbs, on replacement nothing lit up and my main beam idiot light was on on dip beam. I removed the unit again, spraying copiuos amounts of electrical cleaner on the contacts and reassembled, they worked just fine. Just been out on the damn thing and no backlights for speedo & rev counter and the dip lights got the blue main beam light showing. Anyone................?

There's 2 plugs on the back of the dash. Might be worth unplugging those and checking for corrosion. I think the sub loom also has a plug further down which would be worth checking.

GOTCHA!!!!!!

Followed Dansin's missive and found the blue wire in the main loom had indeed got the dreaded green gunk of corrosion that occurs on electrical contacts. A quick scrape and a good furtle of the connector from the clocks and bingo, lights and the high beam light doing the right thing. Puzzling that that one wire could affect the headlight tell tale though. Hope this helps others.

Back
Top Bottom