F800gs rough running

wispyone

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Good morning

I bought my bike a few months ago and have put just under a thousand miles on it. I took it for a spin into the East coast yesterday but on the motorway in 6th gear around 70-75 mph I rolled open the throttle to overtake and the bike spluttered?

I dropped it to 5th and again opened the throttle and it pulled away very smooth. Engine at this point was up to temperature.

Short time later in 5th around 60mph it did it again really rough and spluttering. I pulled in the clutch and opened the throttle and it was sweet all the way to the red line.

I again dropped a gear and accelerated and it pulled away no problem.

It never happened again for the rest of the day.

I have tried a search and although I can find loads of info of bikes stalling I'm not having much luck with my symptoms.

Anyone any ideas

Cheers

Richard

Forgot to add its a 2013 bike with just short of 10k miles and serviced. I bought it in January and it had oil, filters and plugs changed.

Last edited:
First thing is check pump controller, is it Black or silver? If it's silver change it, next try the side stand cutout switch

Connecting the white and brown wire together on the side stand switch bypasses it and so eliminates the suspect switch.

First thing is check pump controller, is it Black or silver? If it's silver change it, next try the side stand cutout switch

Connecting the white and brown wire together on the side stand switch bypasses it and so eliminates the suspect switch.

I take I can check the colour under the seat, under the rubber cover?

Will check this in the morning

Sounds like side-stand switch to me.

Would the side stand switch cause these symptoms?

Also I believe there was a recall for side stand switch but not sure if mine was done. Will have to contact dealer tomorrow

Would the side stand switch cause these symptoms?

I had exactly this on my 2012 800. It got progressively worse until the switch was changed, which cured it completely.

Other suggestion re fuel pump controller is of course a possible cause - i just know from my experience that ss switch caused these symptoms on my bike.

Mine would pull hard in one gear and not another, and it was the switch, i think it's to do with vibration frequency... although an adult will be along soon to explain.....

Sounds like a fuelling issue to me too . When you rev harder it clears itself ? Was it stood along time before you bought it ? Sounds like a dirty fuel filter of crap in the system ....just my thoughts. Not aware of the side stand issue ,so can't comment on that

I believe the bike was stood for a few months before I bought it. After I put deposit down it had oil and filter change along with air filter and plugs, I believe they also changed brake fluid.

I took it for another spin yesterday to try and replicate the symptoms but it seemed OK (typical).

There is 2 weeks remaining on my 3 month warranty so I took it back to bike shop and explained what happened and it's booked in on Monday for a check over. I have a sneaky feeling they won't find anything.

In relation to side stand switch at certain vibration frequency that could make sense as at both times it did it the speed was holding steady and I started to accelerate

I think there was a recall for side stand switch, does anyone know what year bikes it affected?

Cheers

Richard

As your controller is black I'd say it's side stand switch, get them to bypass it and see what happens over the next week or so.
Fuel pumps just stop working, filters clog, it's something simple

As your controller is black I'd say it's side stand switch, get them to bypass it and see what happens over the next week or so.
Fuel pumps just stop working, filters clog, it's something simple

Good news, i have been in contact with local BMW dealer (Alan Jeffries) in relation to my side stand switch. it's on the recall list for the switch changing. They are ordering in the parts and I'll get it in as soon as I can around work.

So fingers crossed if supplying dealer doesn't find anything on Monday with fuel system etc then the switch change may just cure it :)

Just had the bike back to the dealer for a once over, as predicted they found nothing. Just less than a 2 mile test run and it ran ok for him.

Now to book it in with Alan Jeffries for side stand switch changing, hopefully later this week.

Fingers crossed that sorts it as it will be out of warranty in a few weeks :)

Side stand switch has now been replaced and I hope to get out in next few days to give it a good run. Fingers crossed it's cured :)

Back
Top Bottom