R1100/1150GS Injector upgrade from the US - group buy interest?

Which model do you ride? With or without O2 sensor?

If you add too much fuel, you can get the symptoms you're reporting. I would remove John's chip and reinstall the injectors (which add a lot of fuel at low engine Load).

Hi Roger, I have now fitted on an AF-XiED and initially set it to 7 blinks but might drop it to 6 as the exhaust is sooty and the mixture smells (too) rich, I also realise that I'll need to get some more miles in for things to settle down properly.
Meantime, my bike has Y-piece, Laser end can with road insert and a paper Hi-Flo air filter with no CAT plug ( never had one ). the guys at Beemer Boneyard say that I should re-fit a CAT plug as the XiED will look for it as part of the system now but this is a no CAT bike :confused:
It's running fine at 7 blinks albeit possibly too rich but I need to get a few hundred miles first I think...before I can do that I have to take the front engine cover off to investigate a noise coming from the timing chain tensioner area :blast

Mike.

Just to keep you guys in the loop, the package is in the UK and being held by customs. I got a letter this morning asking me to provide more information so they can correctly assess the customs/import fees payable. Not an uncommon delay, I'll get it sorted and the package should be delivered shortly.

Cheers
Gordon

not ordered them yet jay, spoke to lennie via email and he said just to order on the website. maybe if a few of us order together save a few quid?

Hi Roger, I have now fitted on an AF-XiED and initially set it to 7 blinks but might drop it to 6 as the exhaust is sooty and the mixture smells (too) rich, I also realise that I'll need to get some more miles in for things to settle down properly.
Meantime, my bike has Y-piece, Laser end can with road insert and a paper Hi-Flo air filter with no CAT plug ( never had one ). the guys at Beemer Boneyard say that I should re-fit a CAT plug as the XiED will look for it as part of the system now but this is a no CAT bike :confused:
It's running fine at 7 blinks albeit possibly too rich but I need to get a few hundred miles first I think...before I can do that I have to take the front engine cover off to investigate a noise coming from the timing chain tensioner area :blast

Mike.

Mike, Even on a non-cat bike, the O2 sensor and Cat plug are important. What year R1150GS are you riding, single or dual plug?

No Cat plug installed on the R1150 just means Coding Plug code 000 (in binary). No plug is a valid code. And probably the right one for your bike. RB

Mike, Even on a non-cat bike, the O2 sensor and Cat plug are important. What year R1150GS are you riding, single or dual plug?

No Cat plug installed on the R1150 just means Coding Plug code 000 (in binary). No plug is a valid code. And probably the right one for your bike. RB

Thanks Roger.
It's an 04' twin spark so I probably just need to get some miles in now..saying that it if I decide to fit the race insert to the end can then am I correct in thinking that I could have to drop to 6 blinks to compensate for a free flowing exhaust system ?
Currently indicating green at 7 and with road insert.

Mike.

Thanks Roger.
It's an 04' twin spark so I probably just need to get some miles in now..saying that it if I decide to fit the race insert to the end can then am I correct in thinking that I could have to drop to 6 blinks to compensate for a free flowing exhaust system ?
Currently indicating green at 7 and with road insert.

Mike.
Oops, got it.

If anything, with a freer exhaust I'd go to 8. But 7 should still work fine since the Motronic will hold AFR no matter the changes you make. Which is true unless it flows more air at wider throttles but not at smaller ones, meaning if the balance through the throttle & rpm stays about the same.

Oops, got it.

If anything, with a freer exhaust I'd go to 8. But 7 should still work fine since the Motronic will hold AFR no matter the changes you make. Which is true unless it flows more air at wider throttles but not at smaller ones, meaning if the balance through the throttle & rpm stays about the same.

Ok, still slightly confused though.

The 2nd paragraph on page 6 of the document supplied with the AF-XiED states that 'Bikes with very free flowing exhaust (loud) may actually work better with slightly leaner setting due to air reversion'.
Currently I am running without CAT and with Y-piece but occasionally might also like to use the race insert (loud & free) in my end can so doesn't the air reversion created due to less back pressure require the unit to be 'leaned off' slightly?

really sorry aboput the delay guys, i filled out the customs forms they requested and sent them in last week but they have sent me out the same forms again saying they have not received them. i will be calling them today to kick up hell. appreciate your patience while i deal with these ridiculous hoops.

blah blah blah whinge moan ....sorry thought i had a 1200 for a moment........... no probs at all chap... thank you for all the effort

Thanks for the update.

No worries on timing.

Us 1150 types are laid back dudes....unlike those highly strung excitable 1200 owners:D

cleared customs today, now just waiting on the slip to come through telling me how much £££ they need so i can pay it and they will deliver. as soon as i have them ill get them all out to you 1st class recorded. what a ballache!

41306768ebe7b2928d7e941e3045865c.jpg

Above and beyond the call of duty Gordon, if we've incurred any increased costs please let me know and I'll be happy to cover my share.

I've been interested to make some measurements of the effects of R1200 injectors on an R1100 . A friend with an R1100RT, who has installed R1200 Injectors, and has an LC-1 Wideband O2 agreed to make some measurements of the AFR effects of the new injectors. He completed the first test which was to reset the Motronic, clear all adaptives, and then start the engine cold and let it idle until warm up. A cold start after reset allows us to see the AFR of the engine before the Motronic has made any compensation. By comparing that plot, to a plot made with the old injectors (which is in my Wideband O2 research thread) we can get a picture of how much richer the R1200 Injectors run until Motronic adaptation takes place.

A stock R1100RT, on a cold day adds enough fuel to bring the AFR to about 12.8:1 during the warm up period before closed loop (see: http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...or-project-and-af-xied-for-bmw.749080/page-17). From experience with R1100s and R1150s, the cold start enrichment runs in the 10-15% range.

Now take a look below, at the post-reset, cold-start enrichment immediately after installing the new R1200 Injector kit. The AFR is about 11.35:1, which is a 23% enrichment. What this means, as I pointed out earlier in the thread, is that the R1200 injectors are temporarily adding twice as much enrichment, before the Motronic dials it back to the normal 10-15% through its adaptation process.

May%2020%202017%20Cold%20Start%20R1100.PNG

Another way to determine how much fuel the R1200 injectors add prior to Motronic adaptation is too measure how accurately it switches from cold-start enrichment to Closed Loop operation. When the adaptations have been fully developed, the Motronic can accurately calculate how much fuel is needed to achieve 14.7:1 at idle. Therefore when it leave enrichment mode, it is en closed loop in a matter of seconds. Looking at the chart below, you can see that it takes the Motronic about 12 seconds to search for and then calculate a short term trim (adaptation) that allows for Closed Loop operation at 14.7:1. The first attempt by the Motronic only seems to get the AFR to about 12.2:1 versus the target of 14.7. That suggests that there is about 17% more fuel being injected due to the R1200 injector's faster turn on time.

Double checking that, the normal idle pulse is about 2mS of which 1 mS is the turn on/turn off time, so about 1 mS of fuel. 17% more fuel would mean the turn on/off times are 0.17 mS faster on the R1200 injector compared to the R1100 injector. This figure seems reasonable.

May20ColdStartEnrichtoClosed.PNG

So a bottom line, looking at the measurements of cold-start enrichment and then the converge-to-Closed-Loop operation, is the first time you start your bike and for the first few rides, there will be a lot of extra fuel at startup and during acceleration.

Next, after a couple weeks of riding, we'll take a look at the same numbers again.

Oops, got it.

Ok, I'll admit that I was a doubter and nothing momentous really happened until I'd rode just over 800 miles with the AF-XiED fitted and set to 7 blinks...bloody hell, the bikes gone mad ! Even my partner ( pillion ) noticed the change in pull around low to mid range, particularly on long climbs when before I'd be changing between 5th & 6th but now I can play with the power while still in 6th...she was struggling to control her core muscles ( yoga lady ) and felt that she was getting pushed against the duffel bag on the rear rack :confused:

Yes, it is expensive but combined with the 1200 injector upgrade my bike now feels like it has been abusing certain substances :rolleyes:

Mike.

Back
Top Bottom