UK? But actually it's Scotland I'm interested in...

scorp888

Reaction score
Is there a UK Section for England Scotland, Wales and NI roads?

Planning a trip from Sarf Lunnon up to Fort William, would love some ideas on stuff to stop off, good roads on the way, etc.

Can we have a UK section, or is that assumed in the roads you love section?

Go to the RiDE magazine website, lots of good routes to download.

Simon W, now the editor, penned a book (or was it two) which may help you, too.

51kw8XnV%2BqL._AC_UL320_SR234,320_.jpg

71J25MxCjRL.jpg

You'll probably be able to cobble something together from that lot but you'll need a decent map.

Failing any of that. Put your start point and end point into Google. Ask it to give you the direct route. Look at the roads either side of the direct route. Do any of them look like they might be interesting? Yes? Great, we are starting to cook on gas. Now drag the route around. Look at how the estimated total time for the journey changes. Do you have one day to do it, two, three or a week? Is the estimated time (remember that is nonstop) suit you? Yes? great mate. You've all but done it.

Try the same thing but change the preferences. Try the same thing again in viaMichelin, mucking around with the settings, too. Go on, you can do it.... or at least you can try.

As to another section because you want to go from London to Fort William and want bods to do it for you? Nahh, mate.

UK?

OP, as our resident fuse tester hasn't come up with anything useful and nobody else has chipped in, I had a very quick look in my copy of Simon W's Bikers' Britain - The Tours book.

As I thought, there are route suggestions which, if they are not perfect for you already, could be amended very easily to suit your individual needs and timings.

9dc0ba1e7b90e200234c6b1cc28a98f8.jpg

775dafec8d9e1ead63f184124575294f.jpg

640711d2f69388da95520652c5398933.jpg

Besides the 'long routes' shown in the pictures, there's a separate chapter dedicated to Scotland, which you might well find useful too.

50c701a995a4d507915dcf30f2a8aff2.jpg

I suggest you pick up a copy of the book, it's only a few quid and it'll last you a lifetime.

Richard

He doesn't seem to like Devon & Cornwall much does he ;)

For those that fancy a copy of either the ISBN of "The tours" is 978074957360.

70 Routes ISBN 9780749573966. These look a good read I have just ordered myself some.

Thanks for all the replies.

So back to the first question - we are travel sections for the whole rest of the world, why not UK.

Also had a quick look at the book, suprised it's so limited.

Was hoping for something that joined up the highlands and islands for example - out from oban, barra - up the coast back in etc.

So whilst I appreciate the book reference, has anyone done any sort of ride like up to oban/fort william and then ferrys to the islands?

Cheers in advance.

Moved from the Travel section to the Jock's section

Is there a UK Section for England Scotland, Wales and NI roads?

Planning a trip from Sarf Lunnon up to Fort William, would love some ideas on stuff to stop off, good roads on the way, etc.

Can we have a UK section, or is that assumed in the roads you love section?

This started as a thread implying that you wanted a route from south London, up to Scotland and on to Fort William. Along with that not inconsiderable distance, you want 'stuff' (whatever that is), stop off's (not entirely clear if that's hotels or what) good roads (they all want those) and a new section in UKGSer to cater for it.

You now want the islands, too.

Nowhere it seems have you told us:

When it's happening

How many nights away you want to spend between leaving south London and returning

Whether you want to ride 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 miles in a day and every day

Whether you want a day (or more) off the bike, chilling or otherwise with like minded souls

Whether you like cracking off at dawn, living on berries found on the roadside and not stopping until you fall asleep and fall off

In short.... you want people to plot your entire holiday with the square root of feck all. Lazy beyond lazy. There are enough websites, magazine articles, books, forums, tourist offices with routes around the Highlands and Islands to sink a battleship. There is an entire Scottish section (it's part of the regional section you seem to be bleating on about) devoted to the joys of midge infestations, midsummer perpetual sun (in between rain) and the joys of tossing ones caber. Try them.

Moved from the Travel section to the Jock's section
This started as a thread implying that you wanted a route from south London, up to Scotland and on to Fort William. Along with that not inconsiderable distance, you want 'stuff' (whatever that is), stop off's (not entirely clear if that's hotels or what) good roads .

Did it? Nice assumption, but it makes you an ass...(plus if you really can't be bothered to be helpful, why try and come across as a keyboard warrior?)

Actually it started with me asking why there wasn't a section that covered the UK and Scotland, when there were other sections for Pyrenees etc. (http://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/17-Travel)

However the actual answer to that question is that for some reason England Scotland and Wales are located under general (http://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/409-Regional-Information)

So now I've found where the bit to ask questions, I can ask them. So you now make some valid points about some items to consider, so thanks for that.

Ideally I'm looking for some general Advice.

I'll be leaving London on the Friday night (Easter Halfterm)
I'll go about 2-3 hours and stop off. So if anyone knows a biker friendly, or bike secure stop around Worcestor, that would be good.

I've then got two choices, blat 8 hours up to Fortwilliam or stop off after about 4 for something interesting to see, and a bite to eat.
I'm not that bothered by fancy hotels. So ideally no bed bugs, but I don't need a spa and foot massage every evening either :)

The only 2 things I want to do in the 10 days I've got, is see the falls of Lora and weather dependent have a crack at walking up ben nevis.

Other than that I'm open to suggestions.

Are the roads up the coast to cape wrath and across to wick good on a bike? Last time I did it there was a parade of german motorhomes, but I was in a car, so not really in a position to use any quick overtaking spots there might have been.

So option one, is up to cape wrath, across to wick, down to inverness and back across.

Option two, is a ferry and some islands.

I'll have a look at tha cal mac link, as I've no idea how cheap/expensive the ferries are.
Yes there are some websites and such, but I'm sure I can answer all of your posts with - can't you google for that? Or you know you could ask the question here, and make use of the forum...

Back
Top Bottom