Centre stand - repair or replace?

sparkplug

Landlord
Mod Squad
Solutions
Reaction score
second from the left, third from the right
So I popped the bike off the centre stand and started my journey home today - got about 2 metres and realised the centre stand was flapping around and bouncing off the ground.

It was getting dark but I realised the spring had come off so I cable tied it in place and got home.

On closer inspection what has happened is that the pin which the spring connects to on the frame (well, the bracket that is bolted to the frame) has actually worn all the way through and has finally snapped. The other pin on the stand itself has also worn about a third of the way through.

So the question is - do I replace the (very tatty and corroded) stand completely and get another 13 years out of it - or do I take the stand off, have it blasted, coated and get new pegs welded on?

Bear in mind that I don't know the first thing about welding so I'd have to pay someone to do the work. I'm sure for someone who has the kit and the expertise this is a ten minute job.

My gut feeling is that it's going to be cheaper to buy a new / second hand stand but part of me thinks that the repair isn't that difficult and might be worth doing - what does the collective think?

If I couldn't get a second hand one for £20 I'd get it welded. I'd wire brush & paint it rather than go to th trouble and expense of having it power coated.

Back
Top Bottom