Replacement engine - Driveshaft removal?

Squigles

Reaction score
When an engine is replaced, would it require the removal of the drive shaft?

I would think not. Unless its been damaged in some way? Much easier to leave it in place and avoid the faff of phasing a new one correctly and getting it to engage correctly into the final drive.

For my engine replacement they had to remove the driveshaft and it was damaged during this process. It was also replaced with the engine.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The reason for asking is, the rubber drive boot keeps popping out from the swing arm. Noticed the drive shaft looks like c***, thought maybe with the number of replacement engines I've had, one of the techs might have thought 'hey why not add a spot of lube to the shaft'. Guess they only give a flying fcuk when it's chargeable then!!

Yes, the drive shaft has to be removed. The engine gearbox are combined and replaced as one unit under warranty, the shaft fits into the rear of the unit, so has to come off. However, I guess that the swing arm, shaft and final drive can remain as one lump.

Having had 4 engines replaced in the space of 2.5 years, the rear boot gave up the ghost and along as other have done I decided to grease the rear splines as well as replacing the rear drive boot. The bike has covered 18450 miles, I have only just covered 600 miles on the latest replacement engine.

This is the state of the rear drive shaft! Now BMW dealers charge the premium for their services, really is this what you have to expect in return for entrusting your premium priced bike to BMW? Is this the kind of payback you would accept or expect in this day and age!
Would it have been so hard to have applied a little dab of grease or indeed be shown any kind of regard in the aftercare that you pay a premium for? Oh but that's not in the service schedule .............. really what about pride in your work or of the product!

Looks like I'll be better off doing all the servicing myself with a little bit of help from a friend too.

Back
Top Bottom