Steve Howarth

Steve Howarth

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have just taken delivery of my first BMW, a 2002 R1150GS and she is not yet on the road as she has a few faults, and I would imagine as with most first timers, I am full of questions. If anyone out there has any suggestions they would be greatfully received! Fuel gauge doesn't work ( not in tank as sensor replaced . filled with new fuel after being stood for several months, and running - eventually very roughly, and after 4-5 mins exhaust glowing bright orange and JUST prevented melting rear tyre. Again any advice greatly appreciated, I am useless as an Engineer but, I am a good TV & HIFI engineer and will always try to replay in kind!!

Hi Steve, Welcome! Dont let it run to long without riding it will overheat quickly !

Eventually very roughly.:rob
Have a look at the oil level sight glass. Still clear, white and obscure? Or melted?
Does she still start ok?
Knowing the fuel level should be quite low on the list

If you've had the tank off then you need to check the throttle bodies to ensure your cables are correctly seated.
I'll find a pic for you

Here you go. Check photos

Btw use a large fan blowing over the fins if you run her stationary i.e. More than a few mins.

Have a look in the 1150 tech section for more info

Bad:

i-ZFgzWtv-L.jpg

Good:

i-fzmP42v-L.jpg

Welcome to the site. As said above, get yourself in the Oilhead section.

Lots advice and expertise to call upon. :thumb2

I owned an R1150GS for a decade and I am quite happy to pass on information with repayment in kind...

Back
Top Bottom