Win7 disc for a Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I wish to install windows on my MacBook Pro. Its a early 2011 when you check out bootcamp it tells you this. Windows 7 or 8 can be installed, only via a full disc installation.

Win7 will do me fine. So can anybody recommend a source to buy a genuine win7 disc with product key.

To be honest it will get vey little use but I could have done with it this week.

So alternative suggestions welcome as is a source of a genuine disc.

I wish to install windows on my MacBook Pro. Its a early 2011 when you check out bootcamp it tells you this. Windows 7 or 8 can be installed, only via a full disc installation.

Win7 will do me fine. So can anybody recommend a source to buy a genuine win7 disc with product key.

To be honest it will get vey little use but I could have done with it this week.

So alternative suggestions welcome as is a source of a genuine disc.

Hi Steve,

You don't need a physical disk just and iso which you can download onto a thumb drive.

see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4087200?tstart=0
and https://support.apple.com/manuals/bootcamp

Personally I'd go with 10 which you can get from the MS store online :D however for Windows 7 you may have an issue getting a genuine copy. Most of the ones I've seen have been obvious rip offs though there are loads to choose from on Amazon.

I've got one from part of a batch I bought (genuine OEM). You can have it if you want, but its in my home in France until Easter.

First off reply to Stever1.
After years with Garmin starting off with a nav3 to nav5 I decided a Tomtom rider was for me. So I got one last week. In my attempt to down load some ride magazine gpx files I found out a problem. You cannot do 3 things on a Mac that you can do on a PC. The big one is sync gpx files between your computer and Tomtom. See my post in the gps section on this. Thats the reason. Plus the only cost is for the windows OS.

RobK. Thanks for that info but I based my post on what my laptop informed me when I entered bootcamp. I searched the forums and some have put win10 on a 2011 machine. But they have had some minor compatibility issues ( sound card being one).
I believe it is possible to without a dvd copy. My daughter runs windows on her MacBook Air. She needs windows for work. That was installed by someone at her office free. Unfortunately she is now based in another part of the country.

I was brought up on windows and my employer like many others stuck with outdated versions simply because the update of systems was so costly. So thats why I prefer win7 win10 I found hard work.

stolzy, you will have a pm shortly.

Thanks to those that replied

iand46

I was told import points of interest and favourites. You may be able to get around it like I did with the gpx files. Send them straight to a sd card on the laptop, then put the card into the Tomtom.
But I don't yet as I haven't tried it. I think the problem is syncing the laptop with the device. You just cannot do it on a Mac. Everything else is the same, or thats what I have been told.

RobK your links take you to shopping channels. Most certainly not apple related discussions.

iand46

I was told import points of interest and favourites. You may be able to get around it like I did with the gpx files. Send them straight to a sd card on the laptop, then put the card into the Tomtom.
But I don't yet as I haven't tried it. I think the problem is syncing the laptop with the device. You just cannot do it on a Mac. Everything else is the same, or thats what I have been told.

I use a Garmin with a Mac using POI Loader so no issues.

RobK your links take you to shopping channels. Most certainly not apple related discussions.

Humm interesting I get a discussion board for mac users and Apple manuals on bootcamp. What are you seeing?

http://www.viglink.com/shop/merchants

For some strange reason the above link is where I am directed to. Thanks for taking the time out to put up the links. I have visited those sites because I realised something was amiss.

When I get my win7 copy I shall give it ago.

http://www.viglink.com/shop/merchants

For some strange reason the above link is where I am directed to. Thanks for taking the time out to put up the links. I have visited those sites because I realised something was amiss.

When I get my win7 copy I shall give it ago.

I'm also seeing it now, looks like something embedded in this site as far as I can tell.

A bit of resurrection here. Awhile back Stolzy offered a win7 disc to me free, to accomplish my desire to run windows on my Mac. (In parallel with Sierra.)

It has duly arrived and I will give my best attempt ( read amateur ) to achieve my goal.

So a big thanks to Stolzy

Thank-you Stolzy.

Today I finally got around to installing a windows OS on my MacBook Pro. I could perhaps think of a few reasons why its took me so long but frankly the excuses would be pathetic. I used bootcamp and managed it with only one hiccup.

I will find it so more convenient than using the really old pc I have.

So without the generosity of "Stolzy" this would not have been possible :beerjug:

A bit of resurrection here. Awhile back Stolzy offered a win7 disc to me free, to accomplish my desire to run windows on my Mac. (In parallel with Sierra.)

It has duly arrived and I will give my best attempt ( read amateur ) to achieve my goal.

So a big thanks to Stolzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom