Thinking of a short camping tour of Northern Scotland at Easter....or maybe summer...

Bikermike1411

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've *potentially* been given a pass for up to three nights to head up to Scotland to do some camping on the bike this Easter. If that fails, it'll be this summer, but its happening this year. Heading north on a bike been on my to-do list since we were up north of Inverness a few years ago and all I saw was GS's everywhere..... thinking about it, that probably started my 'what do they know that I don't?' train of thought.........

Anyway. First thoughts were the NC500, but I really, really can't be bothered with heavy, slow traffic and high prices in B+B's, so i'm going to make up my own route and camp.

All I'd like are suggestions of roads/place to aim for (i'm going to get as far as John O'Groats) and suggestions for quiet, bike-friendly campsites, preferably with hard standing by the pitches (but not essential) and possibly somewhere to get a pint where I won't get lynched for being English nearby..... I'm happy to read the Ride website, or 'Curves', or just do what I do most lunchtimes which is drop the little man on Google Earth onto some random road in the highlands and take myself on a virtual ride for a few miles....sad, I know, but it keeps me entertained (and dreaming!), so I all I need are suggestions for waypoints and destinations. Or roads. Which I suppose is half the planning.... I can join the dots myself though!

So.....where do I aim for, any campsites and anything to avoid(besides the A9, which is the most monotonous, dull, shit 60 miles of solid time and distance cameras i've ever come across)? I'm coming from just north of Manchester, don't mind breaking the back of the ride on main roads and will have about 3 nights. I also want to be done riding, ideally, by 5pm (but if I camp i'll be up at 7 and packed away by 8 anyway!)

Cheers
Mike

Copied into the Scottish section, where you'll hopefully get some helpful bites.

Follow the Nc500 route from kyle of lochalsh to john O'groats.
I did it in July and yes you will encounter the od camper van but I cannot relate to this heavy traffic you mention at all.

Kyle - Applecross - Torridon - Ullapool - Durness - then follow your nose to JOG. There is actually bugger all of interest at JOG. It's all out west.

Don't worry about the A9...the average speed cameras don't get bikes...apart from 2 at Moy and Tomatin....but the vans do.

Heading north belt up motorways etc to Perth, then head up the A93 eventually to Grantown on Spey....obvious routes if you look at a map, thence to Inverness, north to Bonar Bridge and Lairg, up to Tongue, left to durness, down to Ullapool, if time permits down to Gairloch, Kinlochewe, Torridon, Strathcarron, Invergarry, Fort William, Glencoe, Glasgow, home....a decent 3 days.

You will see I have omitted J of G...this is quite deliberate...with only 3 days, don't waste your time.

All depends on how many miles you are happy doing in a day. Before returning down to Bury area I lived in Ullapool for 13 years. My opinion, for what its worth is that Ullapool is a great base for exploring the north of Scotland. If you are prepared to do the 430 mile trip up there in a day (about 6.5-7.5 hours riding) three nights at the local village campsite would allow you to easily complete two "loops" before returning home. I'm assuming by three nights you mean 5 days in total.
Loop 1: Ullapool to Durness, Tongue, Dunnet head, J.O.G. then south towards Dingwall and back to Ullapool (though route is better anti clockwise) Allow 8 hours with stops
Loop 2: Ullapool to Garve, Achnasheen, Kyle of Lochalsh (Quick trip over the bridge to Skye and back (allow 20 minutes), Plockton, Lochcarron, Applecross, Sheildaig, Torridon, Kinlochewe, Gairloch and back to Ullapool for drinkies. Allow 7-8 hours for a comfortable day sight seeing.

Getting there- motorway to Stirling (kills of the miles quickly for a 3 night trip) A84 to Tyndrum, over Rannoch moor, Glencoe to Fort William, Fort Augustus, Drumnadrochit, Beauly, Dingwall, Ullapool.

All the above will give you stunning scenery, plenty of photo opportunities and food stops, little duplication and plenty of "customising" options if you don't fancy doing the full routes.

Best before early June for midge free experience!

hope this helps. :)

I think if you're used to the level of crowding in places like the Yorkshire Dales, Lake District or the Peaks, you may be pleasantly surprised by the lack of traffic up here, even on the NC500.

No need to do the A9 from Inverness to Perth, just head to Grantown on Spey, Tomintoul, Braemar, Blairgowrie and Perth (or vice versa). Might add an hour or so, but it's a brilliant route.

The suggestions from Gerardwatts above would be a good three days, although you'd be better off tying to squeak another couple of days if you can, especially as the Wester Ross Coastal Trail through Gairloch and Torridon/Applecross are such good runs. If you're travelling through Tyndrum on a Sunday, watch out for speed traps - Scotland's version of Devil's Bridge is the Green Wellie and the cops are looking for stupidity (there's lots...)

I'm looking to do 4 days/3 nights starting from Aberdeen sometime in May, I was thinking about covering most of the NC500 but might miss out the JoG section, however looking at West Coast Traveller's comments I might now base my self in Ullapool instead and do the two loops from there. Given the choice what would be the best option.
cheers
Jer

Given the choice...stay in Ullapool. Do some trips from there; Achiltibuie, wee mad road to Lochinver, Achmelvich, Durness, Lairg, Tongue....great couple of days...

Cheers Shakey.

The NC500 has been mentioned a lot in magazines recently, always with the impression that it's chock full of VW campers, MX-5's and caravans. I'll have a think - but from what everyone's said i'll be best aiming a little more central / west than JOG on a short trip - im looking at least at a 4-day trip to make the loop up there, which isn't impossible, but will need a few more brownie points to be earned in advance....

All depends on how many miles you are happy doing in a day. Before returning down to Bury area I lived in Ullapool for 13 years. My opinion, for what its worth is that Ullapool is a great base for exploring the north of Scotland. If you are prepared to do the 430 mile trip up there in a day (about 6.5-7.5 hours riding) three nights at the local village campsite would allow you to easily complete two "loops" before returning home. I'm assuming by three nights you mean 5 days in total.
Loop 1: Ullapool to Durness, Tongue, Dunnet head, J.O.G. then south towards Dingwall and back to Ullapool (though route is better anti clockwise) Allow 8 hours with stops
Loop 2: Ullapool to Garve, Achnasheen, Kyle of Lochalsh (Quick trip over the bridge to Skye and back (allow 20 minutes), Plockton, Lochcarron, Applecross, Sheildaig, Torridon, Kinlochewe, Gairloch and back to Ullapool for drinkies. Allow 7-8 hours for a comfortable day sight seeing.

Getting there- motorway to Stirling (kills of the miles quickly for a 3 night trip) A84 to Tyndrum, over Rannoch moor, Glencoe to Fort William, Fort Augustus, Drumnadrochit, Beauly, Dingwall, Ullapool.

All the above will give you stunning scenery, plenty of photo opportunities and food stops, little duplication and plenty of "customising" options if you don't fancy doing the full routes.

Best before early June for midge free experience!

hope this helps. :)

Cheers WestCoast. This, coupled with what GerrardWatts has said, is looking more likely. I'm really greatful for all the input though, it's really made me reasses what is reasonable and, importantly, enjoyable. I'm also not certain I can be arsed decamping every day (although camping is second nature, i'm lazy.....). I'm starting to think it might happen now!

The missus keeps reminding me I can go up in about three weeks (4th April) but i'm concerned about the weather. Any thoughts? If I wait until the summer I have the full 6-weeks hols (i'm a teacher) so I can pretty much choose my slot by keeping an eye on the weather reports. Plus its lighter for longer......

A couple of years ago we had the best April weather I can remember. No guarantee though so you take your chances. However, whilst sunshine is nice, I always think that the north is incredibly dramatic and beautiful in any weather conditions. Just bring you're waterproofs! (in case). Personally I would choose April/May/October as come summer months the NC500 attracts some right idiots (not everyone) who don't have a clue about driving on the roads up there. Been going to Applecross for 20 years and always go first week of November which can be interesting and we've had some cracking weather over the years. Just saying.....

I'll be watching the weather closely mate! I know what you mean about the beer..... I'm trying to find a quiet campsite I can just switch off at for a couple of days. It'll probably be a solo trip, so I may keep it a little further south for now. Invergarry is looking central to where i'd like to explore, but Dumfries is a lot, lot closer, giving me more time actually riding than 'getting there'

If you are staying further south you should consider strontian. There is a nice campsite run by am English bloke who also happens to be a biker and there is a pub 5 mins walk from the site. Plenty of good RDS to explore and if you have a capable bike you can do a fait bit of gravel tracks. The one from polloch to Glenfinnan is amazing.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

If you are staying further south you should consider strontian. There is a nice campsite run by am English bloke who also happens to be a biker and there is a pub 5 mins walk from the site. Plenty of good RDS to explore and if you have a capable bike you can do a fait bit of gravel tracks. The one from polloch to Glenfinnan is amazing.

Cheers Donny, I'll look into it. Strontian is about 300 miles from here, so about 7 hours with fuel and brew stops. Not impossible by any stretch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

....if you have a capable bike you can do a fait bit of gravel tracks. The one from polloch to Glenfinnan is amazing

I know my GS has the potential for gravel tracking, I'll have to wait until I'm on an off-road bike more suited to my ability, and with a group of like-minded folk. Im a big mountain biker, but having never ridden off road on a m/c I suspect I' d be well out of my depth! And I'd be a long way from home if I bust the bike up in the middle of nowhere....

But I'm very, very tempted in finding someone/where to develop this skill!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right. I think I have a rough idea about what i can realistically fit in, and what I'd like to do.

If I stay somewhere near Fort William I can have a nice ride up on the Tuesday. I'll not be away until about 10am, and want to be done riding by 5pm. I think 7 hours is realistic to get up there and get pitched up before 6pm at the latest.

Can anyone suggest a loop i can do on day 2? I'm only going to have the one day 'in' Scotland before I need to head back on day 3. I need a night's sleep at home before going away again on the Friday!

I was thinking of this:

Fort William -> Applecross (just so I can say i've been there) ->Torridon ->Kinlochewe -> Garve -> Muir of Ord -> Drumnadrochit -> Fort Augustus -> Fort William

It's about 250 miles, with a google maps time of about 6 1/2 hours. If i'm camping I'll be up and away by about 8.30am, so i've plenty of time to get around.

One of my major concerns, daftly, is petrol stations. The route i've loosely picked out is on small roads (which largly look tarmacked single tracks). This is, I expect, going to take longer than I think, and involve a lot of 3rd-4th gear so will not be particularly efficient. Between Applecross and Garve there's no 'A' roads - just 50 miles of narrow twisties. As long as I can fill up on the A87 before turning off I should be fine though.

Any thoughts on the route, or where I could stay near Fort William (within about 20 miles if necessary!). I am prepared to camp, but was hoping to find some other cheap form of accommodation (the 'By The Way' campsite in Tyndrum has 'hobbit houses' you can rent for £35 per night - a glorified shed with a bed and a heater, which may be better than camping at that time of year (4th-5th April).

Cheers
Mike

Don't worry about petrol stations there are plenty to get you round and even one in Apple cross. What I will say is make sure you take a debit or credit card as some of the petrol stations are automated.

Don't worry about petrol stations there are plenty to get you round and even one in Applecross. What I will say is make sure you take a debit or credit card as some of the petrol stations are automated.

This interactive map: http://www.northcoast500.com/interactive-map.aspx includes petrol stations under the "services" - "advanced options" and even includes a telephone number and a link to the website it it has one, for example the Applecross one: http://www.applecrosscommunitycompany.org/index.asp?pageid=340231

Some of the "A" roads up the top etc are single lane, with passing places, others are GP standard eg around Achnasheen, guess where the plod get their speed cameras set up?

Back
Top Bottom