Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of a short camping tour of Northern Scotland at Easter....or maybe summer...

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Thinking of a short camping tour of Northern Scotland at Easter....or maybe summer...

Hi everyone,
    I've *potentially* been given a pass for up to three nights to head up to Scotland to do some camping on the bike this Easter. If that fails, it'll be this summer, but its happening this year. Heading north on a bike been on my to-do list since we were up north of Inverness a few years ago and all I saw was GS's everywhere..... thinking about it, that probably started my 'what do they know that I don't?' train of thought.........

Anyway. First thoughts were the NC500, but I really, really can't be bothered with heavy, slow traffic and high prices in B+B's, so i'm going to make up my own route and camp.

All I'd like are suggestions of roads/place to aim for (i'm going to get as far as John O'Groats) and suggestions for quiet, bike-friendly campsites, preferably with hard standing by the pitches (but not essential) and possibly somewhere to get a pint where I won't get lynched for being English nearby..... I'm happy to read the Ride website, or 'Curves', or just do what I do most lunchtimes which is drop the little man on Google Earth onto some random road in the highlands and take myself on a virtual ride for a few miles....sad, I know, but it keeps me entertained (and dreaming!), so I all I need are suggestions for waypoints and destinations. Or roads. Which I suppose is half the planning.... I can join the dots myself though!

So.....where do I aim for, any campsites and anything to avoid(besides the A9, which is the most monotonous, dull, shit 60 miles of solid time and distance cameras i've ever come across)? I'm coming from just north of Manchester, don't mind breaking the back of the ride on main roads and will have about 3 nights. I also want to be done riding, ideally, by 5pm (but if I camp i'll be up at 7 and packed away by 8 anyway!)

Cheers
    Mike

Copied into the Scottish section, where you'll hopefully get some helpful bites and into the camping section, too.

Alchmelvich Beach campsite is a good stop .... you can see a bit of the North Coast roads from there too....
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ac...elvich+beach&*

I've based myself here a few times, which is fairly central, with options to go in various day ride directions depending on where the best weather is. http://www.cumberlands-campsite.com/
    Will be heading there a couple of times this year.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Victor c View Post
    I've based myself here a few times, which is fairly central, with options to go in various day ride directions depending on where the best weather is. http://www.cumberlands-campsite.com/
    Will be heading there a couple of times this year.

Mark
    Thanks Mark, Fort Augustus is a great central location. I'll look into it!

Applecross... Most beautiful place. There's a corking campsite just above the Applecross Inn which does the most amazing food.

One of my favourite places in all the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpjim View Post
    Applecross... Most beautiful place. There's a corking campsite just above the Applecross Inn which does the most amazing food.

One of my favourite places in all the world!
    You are Bertie Wooster and I claim my £5!

Quote Originally Posted by Bikermike1411 View Post
    i'm going to get as far as John O'Groats
    I can't think of a good reason to go there, or most of the rest of the east coast, to be honest.

No! I am Bertie Wooster [or am I Spartacus?]

Quote Originally Posted by GlynnJ View Post
    I can't think of a good reason to go there, or most of the rest of the east coast, to be honest.
    If the OP hasn't been to John O'Groats before then it's a box tick.
    North of Inverness the A9 runs mainly along the coast and it's a nice run.
    Granted there isn't a lot at J O'G but there's a lot more than there used to be!
    After that you head west and then it's all brilliant!
    "I must be traveling on now 'cause there's too many places I've got to see.

The ABR forum have a weekend at Strontian that weekend, why not join them.

Quote Originally Posted by Khulu View Post
    If the OP hasn't been to John O'Groats before then it's a box tick.
    North of Inverness the A9 runs mainly along the coast and it's a nice run.
    Granted there isn't a lot at J O'G but there's a lot more than there used to be!
    After that you head west and then it's all brilliant!
    I quite like the run along the coast from Inverness to JOG. Done it several times on the bike and in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikermike1411 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I've *potentially* been given a pass for up to three nights to head up to Scotland to do some camping on the bike this Easter. If that fails, it'll be this summer, but its happening this year. Heading north on a bike been on my to-do list since we were up north of Inverness a few years ago and all I saw was GS's everywhere..... thinking about it, that probably started my 'what do they know that I don't?' train of thought.........

(i'm going to get as far as John O'Groats)
    Take the A897 from Helmsdale to Melvich, then left to John O Groats, after you've had your 5 minutes at JOG take the north coast road going west, great road, if you don't have time you can shoot back down the A9 east coast road heading home.

ABR trip at Easter would be worth meeting up with.

Ignore JOG.
    Hug the West coast, ignoring the islands (you dont have the time) and the dead end roads (ditto) as far as Bettyhill. The hotel here is great. Head due South through the Naver valley to Altnaharra then onto Lairg an dhead home. If you get the weather it is as good as anything. Fingers crossed for you!

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

C&CC clubsite at rosemarkie is ok and at beach, ardnamurchan is excellent place to camp, skye ok too. There are also Forestry commission sites that take tents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast