Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EICMA 2017

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

EICMA 2017

Look closely at this one.

The photo is of the new 850GSA gear lever. Talk about stupid. It's just a bent bit of steel bar! No folding linkage.

Of course steel won't snap like an aluminium one might, but what are they thinking? Presumably the buying idiots won't notice a 5p cost saving.

Other than that I quite like the new bike actually. I still think the coming (one day) Yamaha is the one to but if you want off road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Sidi Adventures in nubuck type finish. Me likey.

New one on me. An external Pinlock style react to light sun shield.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
    Look closely at this one.

The photo is of the new 850GSA gear lever. Talk about stupid. It's just a bent bit of steel bar! No folding linkage.

Of course steel won't snap like an aluminium one might, but what are they thinking? Presumably the buying idiots won't notice a 5p cost saving.

Other than that I quite like the new bike actually. I still think the coming (one day) Yamaha is the one to but if you want off road.

Ha ha.

I didn’t even bother with the BMW stand as nothing of interest at all .

Quote Originally Posted by Arsey View Post
    Ha ha.

I didn’t even bother with the BMW stand as nothing of interest at all .
    I can see a fair few people doing that ....walking on past the brand in 2018
    JohnnyBoxer

So many roads...........So little time......

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBoxer View Post
    I can see a fair few people doing that ....walking on past the brand in 2018
    Seems I might have missed the Gay America or whatever it’s called.
    Some bloated jaundiced bike for bloated jaundiced fat arses. Oh well........

Oh dear...
    We will never be here again - have a good look around

Following my first visit to the ECIMA show in Italy I have learnt quite a few things that would save me a lot of time and money had I known before. So to help fellow biker mates here are a few of the key things that I learnt which hopefully will be useful to you if you are considering going to the show, which I would recommend as it makes a worthwhile change from the NEC imho:-

The dealers seem to make more effort to present their bikes and have more on show. A big difference between the two is less dedication to one specific theme (for example the NEC makes a big thing about ‘Adventure Touring’) I can’t say that I noticed any specific themed displays like this at the ECIMA. The only thing that was a surprise was that over half a hall was focused on Chinese products; I would be interested to know if this is also the case this year at the NEC? There were also a lot of electric bikes on display from various manufacturers.

I would definitely go again but would use the tips that I have noted below and save myself a lot of time and money. I think that it would probably work out more expensive but if the weather is like this year I would seriously consider going by bike next time and making a nice ride out of it.

Three days is the comfortable minimum imo if you are flying. One day in, one day at the show and next day out.

Anyway here are my tips listed below and anyone who can add to this please feel free to do so as every little helps.

1 – When booking your hotel check out its location to the Metro system (see Arsey’s comment/recommendation above he had a great location). You can save yourself a lot of faffing/time by maybe paying more for a hotel that has easy access to Milan central and its metro system. The extra cost of the hotel could be offset a tad by saving a fortune on having to get taxis. Our hotel was a business hotel that was near to the RHO (ECIMA exhibition centre) but remote from everything else (as we found out on arrival). Also we were a victim of the Ryanair fiasco causing us to change our flights a consequence of which was that our departure time meant that we were outside the public transport times. So we had to pay Ł80.00 for a taxi to the airport.

2 – The red line on the metro underground system is the one that will take you to RHO (M in red on local underground maps which are available foc at stations and newsagents)

3 – If you are going to use the metro for getting around and site seeing then it is best to get a 24 hour metro ticket (24 hours starts from the moment you buy the ticket). You can use it as much as you like on both trains and buses. The ticket cost 4.5 euros this year. But remember that the RHO station is two stops beyond the range of this ticket so you must pay for these extra stops. The tickets can be bought at newsagents within the underground system.

4 – Malpensa Airport is the place we flew into. Buses are plentiful and will take you straight into Milan Central. From here you can get the Metro to wherever your hotel is, provided that you paid attention to tip one above But remember to check that your flight arrival and departure times coincide with bus and train running periods.

5 – Due to the Ryanair fiasco we had to use EasyJet from Gatwick instead of our original plans to fly from our local Stansted airport. We used the Valet parking at Gatwick; very convenient with no delays/hanging around. I would use this service again (four days Ł50.00 approx).

6 – ECIMA is very busy but still quite comfortable to get around, it is much bigger than the NEC. We went on the first public day which was Thursday. Friday this year was the day that they are open until late; if you go on the ECIMA website you will see times.

7 – Food and drink at the show is plentiful and decent quality. The prices are pretty much the same as anywhere else in Milan in general. But one thing you have to do is to pay at the till for what you want and then take your receipt with you to the counter to get your food. So you can’t point at what you want to pay for which forces you to try and pronounce their food names (always amusing with my estuary accented Italian).

8- I purchased my ticket before I left the UK using ‘Ticket 1’. When I got there I was sent all over the place to get my ticket. The reason for this was that there is only one 'Ticket one' kiosk where you can collect your ticket. This kiosk as at the East end of the long main thoroughfare (the East end is also the same end where the Rho Metro train station is). Unfortunately for us we were dropped off at the West end of the main thoroughfare (story of our trip ) so we had to walk against the sea of incoming people towards the East end.

9 – If you do go by bike there seemed to be a lot of easy access and going by the number of bikes unchained both at the show and all over Milan I can only assume that bike theft is not as big a problem as it is over here? I would still lock and chain my bike though. While we were walking around Milan site seeing we saw loads of top notch bikes and scooters parked up and almost all of them had no secondary anti-theft locks or chains on them. Even in areas where lots of young people congregated to hang out and play on skateboards etc. Nice to see.

10 – That’s all from me folks. Hope you find it useful.

Some good pictures there

Quote Originally Posted by Gordyman View Post

Some good kit there. Loving that Honda Cub. Is it a production model; and if so; will it be coming to Blighty.

Honda Cub

Hi Snelly. Yes the cub looks good I agree. Can't answer your questions as to availability though.

Another chuckle to myself. Most people were asking to have their photo taken with the creature in the white top sitting in the new 850GSA. I asked her to get off the thing so I could sit on the bike...Her face was a picture

Quote Originally Posted by Gordyman View Post
    Hi Snelly. Yes the cub looks good I agree. Can't answer your questions as to availability though.
    Article in the 25 th Oct edition of MCN. It said the new model was to celebrate the 100 millionth cub made, equivalent to 1 in every 74 people on the planet!

As of the 25 th it was unclear if the cub would come to the UK

Steve

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast