Travel Insurance when riding motorcycle

malcopopolo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Might be of interest,

Aviva offer cover for over 125cc as long it is your own bike and touring in Europe only!

Just amending my car insurance via the website and it offered me 20% discount for the wife and I. Total cost is £54.00 for annual multi trip cover to Europe.

Just renewed my insurance, but will follow your suggestion next year. Thanks for the information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just looked at Aviva, they cover you riding if the bike is your means of transport abroad.

But My only worry is their statement that your only covered if "you wear a crash helmet and appropriate protective clothing; " - now who decides what is appropriate protecting clothing? Full leathers?, back protector?, motorcycle boots? I'm worried there's enough room there to get out of paying a medical bill if they wanted to.

Just looked at Aviva, they cover you riding if the bike is your means of transport abroad.

But My only worry is their statement that your only covered if "you wear a crash helmet and appropriate protective clothing; " - now who decides what is appropriate protecting clothing? Full leathers?, back protector?, motorcycle boots? I'm worried there's enough room there to get out of paying a medical bill if they wanted to.

I wouldn't worry about that - you can point to what the indigenous population wear and that sets the bar.

whatever is listed in the law applying to the land - so, in Europe, I believe a helmet is the only mandatory requirement, although the French are supposedly trying to make CE gloves mandatory.

Wear swimming trunks or a ballet toutou, if YOU deem them appropriate.

Whether your view of appropriate will be shared uniformly throughout the land is, of course, another matter.

Hi
Just renewed my travel insurance with Aviva, ticked all the boxes for me, £63 multi trip for pillion and rider :beerjug:

Dave :thumb

whatever is listed in the law applying to the land - so, in Europe, I believe a helmet is the only mandatory requirement, although the French are supposedly trying to make CE gloves mandatory.
Which land though? The one you're coming from or the one you're traveling to?

Might be of interest,

Aviva offer cover for over 125cc as long it is your own bike and touring in Europe only!

Just amending my car insurance via the website and it offered me 20% discount for the wife and I. Total cost is £54.00 for annual multi trip cover to Europe.

Wish I knew that 2 days ago :blast

Just got off the phone with LV, apparently by the definition of appropriate protective clothing means technical clothing designed specifically for motorcycle riding, so unless you are wearing a motorcycle jacket, motorcycle trousers, motorcycle gloves and motorcycle helmet - you are not covered.
It's the same for Aviva and Nationwide travel policies.

So sadly no good for me. I admit it's not smart but on a hot day on short journeys I wear jeans, trainers and a sweatshirt.

Not sure how widely known this is as from previous posts many people have these policies with this wording. Worth knowing even though I presume we all generally wear the appropriate clothing.

You could wear motorcycle jeans, mesh jacket. Admittedly u would have to wear appropriate footwear but all in is a good compromise.

You can hardly blame them for such a clause - they're risk assessment professionals. Anyway, if someone is happy to ride a motorcycle in inappropriate gear, their approach to risk surely means they don't really need insurance, doesn't it?

Anyway, if someone is happy to ride a motorcycle in inappropriate gear, their approach to risk surely means they don't really need insurance, doesn't it?

That's a bit of a stretch, really.

Sure - I won't ride in ordinary gear, with no armour in the strategic places........... Some people are happy with the risk.

I choose to ride motorcycles - plenty of people do not accept that risk.

So surely - those who don't accept the risk of motorcycling, could level the same criticism of you and I?

I've spoken to Aviva on the phone, seems a very good deal. Multi trip, up to 8 on the policy, any cc of bike.

If you just want Eurocover for a simple bike holiday - it is adequate, but once you take it up to full worldwide cover including business - it is higher than M&S I think.

Seems to preclude using your bike - unless you used it to travel to your holiday. So would appear to prevent trailering or van-ing. I note also (what may be common in many policies now - but I haven't noticed on previous ones):

Exclusion:
your misuse of alcohol or drugs or your consumption of alcohol or drugs (other than drugs taken under medical supervision and not for treating alcohol or drug addiction) to an extent which causes immediate or long-term physical or mental harm, or where your judgement is affected causing you to take actions you would not usually take.

That is probably why people who fall from balconies to their injury or death - are out on a limb! (or out of a limb :blast)

(As always advised - it pays to study the policy:rob)

Al

Just got off the phone with LV, apparently by the definition of appropriate protective clothing means technical clothing designed specifically for motorcycle riding, so unless you are wearing a motorcycle jacket, motorcycle trousers, motorcycle gloves and motorcycle helmet - you are not covered.
It's the same for Aviva and Nationwide travel policies.

So sadly no good for me. I admit it's not smart but on a hot day on short journeys I wear jeans, trainers and a sweatshirt.

Then it's very easy. Buy the policy for all the other cover it gives you and simply 'self insure' yourself for the period of your short journeys on hot days, when you wear nothing but your budgie smugglers in florid green. By 'self insure' I mean, don't fall off and injure yourself sufficiently to warrant making a claim.

Back
Top Bottom