GS with corrosion: Good News!!

the woodster

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm a great believer in the saying that if you're quick to criticise, you should also be quick to praise.

My 16 plate 1200GS with 600 miles on the clock (I know) was found to have corroded bolts where the spokes join the hub on both wheels. I took it to Coopers at Tunbridge Wells (Bought at Park Lane BMW) and after an email to the death star, they are replacing the wheels.

Great customer service. :beerjug:

is it ex demo? sounds like its been left outside for periods of time, glad your sorted tho

I bought an ex demo and it was corroded really bad when I actually looked at it after I cleaned it up

wheels, exhaust, the lot really as it was run most of the winter

I got it up to a good standard and the dealer did there best to clean it all up before I collected it but I just wasn't happy at all

they went above and beyond to make me happy and did a fantastic deal on a new one and gave me back all my money on my old one

Marshall's in Grimsby are top guys :beerjug:

It was pre-reg in June 2016 and kept pristine in the underground garage in Park Lane BMW. I bought it with 16 miles on the clock. Needless to say it was absolutely mint. A combination of crap weather and heavy work commitments prevented me putting any real miles on it. When I did go out, I rinsed it down straight away and dried it. The bike is still mint apart from these bolts.

The bolts are specifically not covered by the warranty because they are unpainted and not anodised. Whilsy I expected BMW to do the right thing, I'm still pleased that they did.

Can't wait for the summer and I'm off to the TT in May. :D

Once you've got the new wheels, put a dab of lacquer on each bolt head. My dealer did that on my wheels for me.:thumb

Once you've got the new wheels, put a dab of lacquer on each bolt head. My dealer did that on my wheels for me.:thumb
Thanks. That's a good idea Nutty. Though the winter is over and done, i guess it is still good to do. :thumb

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Surely the per unit cost of having these bolts anodised is within the scope of such a large company as BMW?
More time spent on proper build quality than the latest IMU gymball ring laser gyro gps enhanced ashtray holder we all 'seem' to want if the market men would have us believe.
My 2013 TE has now had a new frame, fork leg & engine pack in its short dealer serviced life.
Not good enough BMW.

My replacement engine has corroded 6 weeks after being fitted. BMW wanted to know what I am washing it with? I assume they think I am using saltwater?!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You must be gutted.

Does this remind anyone else of when Lancia cars rusted back in the 70's.

i am shocked at all these horror stories, really doesn't go down well when your spending so much money to buy the bike in the first place

i am going to keep a good eye on mine when i get it

i wouldn't get paranoid about caring for your pride and joy.. just use PH balanced products to wash your bike... you dont need AC50 unless you use your bike through the winter..stuff like gt85 and fs360 are better for a cleaner looking bike...spray it on after washing, buff to a dull shine and your bike will look like new with zero corrosion

i wouldn't get paranoid about caring for your pride and joy.. just use PH balanced products to wash your bike... you dont need AC50 unless you use your bike through the winter..stuff like gt85 and fs360 are better for a cleaner looking bike...spray it on after washing, buff to a dull shine and your bike will look like new with zero corrosion

to be honest I'm sick of cleaning the one i have at the moment, such a pain in the arse with it all being exposed and i have ocd on keeping it clean so that doesn't help

Hi
I've got the same problem but Bahnstormer say I caused it......which I didn't! Would you be prepared to share your registration number so I can use this to prove to them that it is not an isolated issue as they are claiming? And also to prove that they have replaced at least one other set of wheels
Thanks
Steve

Hi
I've got the same problem but Bahnstormer say I caused it......which I didn't! Would you be prepared to share your registration number so I can use this to prove to them that it is not an isolated issue as they are claiming? And also to prove that they have replaced at least one other set of wheels
Thanks
Steve
How old is the bike , milage and what do you use it for .

How old is the bike , milage and what do you use it for .

The bike is now 8 months old, 5000 miles. It was reported to BMW before 1000 miles. It is a weekend toy and tourer, so it does go out in the rain.......

Back
Top Bottom