GS with corrosion: Good News!!

What a depressing read this thread is. I was hoping my newly acquired ex-demo BMW would have a sturdier finish. A few years back I had a Triumph Explorer XC from new and the finish on that (spokes, fasteners, end can) was so bad I got rid of it. It was a cosseted bike too. Should I expect the same with the GS? The heads on the spokes are already going orange :blast I was also considering the ACF50 treatment via someone like All Year Biker. I was hoping that the GS would be a long-termer.

Sadly it is a sign of the times, cost cutting and environmentally friendly paint materials and manufacturing technique. I run a 20 year old R1100RS through the winter and the build quality is ace. I have a 2015 R1200RT LC which was a replacement for a 2014 bike which had corrosion on the final drive and engine at only 3 months old. My 2015 is on it's second engine and has also had the clocks replaced as they misted up inside. A lot of the cause of corrosion comes from under the paint and is down to adherence of the paint with the metal and the lack of surface preparation of the material. It is not just GS's and RT's just look on the R1200R forum. No bike nowadays is perfect as cost and environmental implications mean the customer is a hostage to the manufacturers. On a positive point though, Nutty says that his XR is holding up well build quality wise

My 800gs is doing fine I have done 10k on it just over two hand half years old and no corrosion at all been wet snd covered in road salt plenty of times never used any of the preservatives just hosed down after use when the roads are full of salt

Do you treat it with anything (e.g. ACF50)?
Just edited the post, no acf etc just hose it off and give it a clean when really dirty a few times a year.

My previous bike a 2012 1200GSA had a few bits of corrosion when it was 2 years old the 800 build quality seems far better up to now

On a positive point though, Nutty says that his XR is holding up well build quality wise

Not just mine; I don't recall reading of any XR owners reporting corrosion on theirs.

On the paint issue I was looking at the new TE exclusive and Rallye yesterday. The paint has definitely changed as has the application. There is no longer any bare metal between the cylinder body and the main engine body join - previously it was painted then the surfaces machined, leaving bare metal. The silver paint on the exclusive looks more resilient too - but I suppose time will tell

On the paint issue I was looking at the new TE exclusive and Rallye yesterday. The paint has definitely changed as has the application. There is no longer any bare metal between the cylinder body and the main engine body join - previously it was painted then the surfaces machined, leaving bare metal. The silver paint on the exclusive looks more resilient too - but I suppose time will tell

I really do hope so. Allegedly, I'm collecting a new TE a week today!

I really do hope so. Allegedly, I'm collecting a new TE a week today!

this is my new one ready to be collected any day now, I'm hoping its going to be better than my 2016 model I currently own till I pick this one up :beerjug:

Attachments

• 17475130_10154433829603017_129241128_o.jpg
    17475130_10154433829603017_129241128_o.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 228
  • 17474276_10154433829093017_986096853_o.jpg
    17474276_10154433829093017_986096853_o.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 209
Well fingers crossed on the corrosion front as this will be a test as to whether I stick with BMW or not. I'm nervous at this point! I think to myself it's an ADV bike, so it's supposed to look "used", then I think about the cost of the bike and why shouldn't I expect it to look good for years to come, especiallyif I look after it. In comparison with my Triumph Explorer, at the time I had a six year old dirtbike that was used regularly and the spokes and fasteners on that were in better condition than the Triumph! I hope the same doesn't happen with the Beemer :-|

Mine is being looked at by Vines. Wheels are in a right state, the subframe is getting worse by the week and we haven't had any salt for ages down here. Glad to see they are sorting them though.

Hi
I've got the same problem but Bahnstormer say I caused it......which I didn't! Would you be prepared to share your registration number so I can use this to prove to them that it is not an isolated issue as they are claiming? And also to prove that they have replaced at least one other set of wheels
Thanks
Steve

Sorry, only just recently seen this and you appear to have solved the issue. Yes, of course I am happy to give reg details to you if you have any problems long the way.

Back
Top Bottom