Budget battery for R80RT mono?

Gyp

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It is with a heavy heart that it looks like I'm going to have to reduce the fleet.

I suspect that getting an MOT would be a good plan, but the bike will need a battery.

If I was going to keep the bike for another 28 years, then I'd be looking for the best battery money could buy, but as I'll me looking to MOT then sell I'm guessing I don't need the gold plated solution.

Any suggestions for a sensibly priced battery & supplier?

If you have a fleet why not swap over a battery for the mot? JJH

Because the one in the R65 is completely knackered as well, and I'd like the bike to be running so the buyer could ride it away if they wanted to.

Measure it and buy a cheap battery that fits the space,

Last one I bought for my r80Gs was a lawnmower battery, for about £40

A 895 made by Lucas, from ebay

Yes 895 896 are good value batteries plenty of amps for the bikes

Just verify the poles are the right way around +ve to the gearshift side front and -ve to footbrake side front

Thanks all, some good ideas there. I'll check them out.

... Though of course procrastinating over the battery delays the sale of the bike...

:-(

If you had paid attention in the other place another collector of SOB mentioned that cheap Powerline batteries from Tayna are okay. IIRC it was Si Wilson.

If you had paid attention in the other place another collector of SOB mentioned that cheap Powerline batteries from Tayna are okay. IIRC it was Si Wilson.

Ok, I'll have a look.

Was it ye olde other place or new fangled other place?

And anyway, when have you known me to pay attention? Or remember? I've got the memory of a goldfish with alzheimer's

If you have space for the big 30 AH battery the cheapest wet battery from the lawn mower man works fine - last one I put in the /7 cost less than 20 quid and lasted four years!
But long term with a wet battery you have to add on regular sandblasting a paint/ powdercoat to the battery tray and a few other bits of the bike!

Depends where you are in glos, if you are near Monmouth ,Paul Jarrold tyres will get you one to fit,, they do varta and Lucas I think. Got one for my f650 for £38.

Depends where you are in glos, if you are near Monmouth ,Paul Jarrold tyres will get you one to fit,, they do varta and Lucas I think. Got one for my f650 for £38.

Surprised PJ hasn't been taken over by a larger group. I remember when he set up that business when I was in school - lived about half a mile away by what was Overmonnow Infants School. My dad was his Varta batteries rep in the 1980s.

Gyp is the other end of the county

Surprised PJ hasn't been taken over by a larger group. I remember when he set up that business when I was in school - lived about half a mile away by what was Overmonnow Infants School. My dad was his Varta batteries rep in the 1980s.

Gyp is the other end of the county
Pj retired, next generation in control now, still good old fashioned service.

Having been distracted from my quest by a garage break in a couple of weeks ago, i finally popped into my local battery shop yesterday and came out with a Banner.

Not as cheap as a lawnmower battery, but it's a decent quality and i was able to walk out of the shop with it £11 cheaper than tayna.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom