Coromandel

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
20th March 2017

A good night's sleep. I wake to a cloudy and warm day - but rain is not forecast.

I pack the bike slowly. Every time I fully unpack it, there seems to be more room when I repack it. I'm either leaving stuff behind everywhere or just getting better at it...
tongue.gif

I press the starter at 0945 and ease myself into Tauranga's Monday morning traffic...

IMG_2829-X3.jpg

I like this road sign (apologies for the clarity), which encourages motorists in two lanes to merge into one in turn 'Like a zip' - I wish British drivers would take this on board...

IMG_2830-X3.jpg

To begin with, Bettie steers me along some urban dual carriageway towards Auckland...

IMG_2831-X3.jpg

Spotted this pastel-coloured pensioner at the roadside - any guesses?

IMG_2832-X3.jpg

Pretty soon I'm on a more pleasant route - although there seems to be a lot of traffic about...

IMG_2836-X3.jpg

...but at least I'm seeing some old cars - they have been noticeable by their absence since I arrived on North Island...

IMG_2835-X3.jpg

Any guesses on these two?

IMG_2839-X3.jpg

The cloud is dissipating a little as the temperature rises - my thermometer now shows 78°F...

IMG_2848-X3.jpg

In need of a spot of breakfast, I drop in here...

IMG_2841-X3.jpg

...where they have a range of pancake-based meals. I opt for the savoury pancake with cheese, onions, avocado(!) and bacon...

IMG_2845-X3.jpg

It's excellent. As soon as the bacon arrived at my table, so did this chap...

IMG_2844-X3.jpg

...feigning interest in the zip toggle on my jacket, but clearly hoping for some bacon...

IMG_2847-X3.jpg

He collapses to the floor in hunger as he realises his quest is futile...

IMG_2853-X3.jpg

Sufficiently refreshed, I get back on the Adv and Bettie steers me across country on some small roads for a few miles...

IMG_2851-X3.jpg

It's lovely morning and it's a good place to be on two wheels.

Unless your vehicle has more than two wheels - then being on two wheels would probably be bad.

IMG_2852-X3.jpg

The clouds in the pics look a bit more threatening than they did in reality - it is a fine morning...

IMG_2854-X3.jpg

The little sandy hillocks remind me I'm not far from Hobbiton, though...

IMG_2855-X3.jpg

I'm soon turned left onto Highway 2 towards Paeroa, through the Karangahake Gorge...

IMG_2863-X3.jpg

...where the river to left of the road is atypical of most of those I have seen in New Zealand - and is quite beautiful (the standard model NZ river is one that meanders on a wide plain of gravel)...

IMG_2864-X3.jpg

How about this for a bridge?

IMG_2865-X3.jpg

I think I may have to have a lie down after that...
tongue.gif

In the town of Paeroa, I do a double take as I catch sight of an old car in a showroom...

IMG_2869-X3.jpg

The owner isn't around, but I manage to charm the girl stacking shelves in the filling station to let me in to take a couple of pics...

IMG_2874-X3.jpg

Couldn't get a decent shot of the front of this one. The gold car was clearly fully restored, but this Mercury apparently only had two owners, and I have a feeling it was original...
thumb2.gif

IMG_2876-X3.jpg

I return to my bike and see another pensioner has turned up - great number plate...

IMG_2877-X3.jpg

Apparently, Lemon & Paeroa (or L&P) is a popular NZ soft drink, comprising lemon juice and carbonated mineral water from Paeroa. It's now owned and marketed by Coca-Cola...

IMG_2878-X3.jpg

I'm tripping over old cars all over the place today - this one's quite unusual, I think (it was a new one on me) - any guesses?

IMG_2880-X3.jpg

The clouds are quite heavy ahead on the hills, but it doesn't feel like rain...

IMG_2882-X3.jpg

I cross the bridge at Kopu and enter the Coromandel Peninsula...

IMG_2885-X3.jpg

After passing through the small town of Thames, Bettie routes me directly to Highway 25...

IMG_2887-X3.jpg

...which clings to every twist and turn...

IMG_2890-X3.jpg

...of the west side of the peninsula...

IMG_2891-X3.jpg

It's absolutely beautiful - with a gentle breeze blowing from the ocean...

IMG_2893-X3.jpg

Shags sit on the rocks drying their feathers...

IMG_2894-X3.jpg

The road continues like this for about 20 miles...

IMG_2895-X3.jpg

...and I love every yard of it...

IMG_2897-X3.jpg

I should imagine that a Bach along here is going to cost a lot of money...

IMG_2901-X3.jpg

...but I think it would be worth it...

IMG_2907-X3.jpg

I am working out pensions and mortgages in my head whilst taking this picture...
biggrin.gif

IMG_2910-X3.jpg

Eventually...

IMG_2918-X3.jpg

...Bettie steers me inland, presumably to avoid the rock headland that was too difficult to cut the road through...

IMG_2923-X3.jpg

...and I say goodbye to the Firth of Thames for a while...

IMG_2924-X3.jpg

...as I make my way...

IMG_2928-X3.jpg

...northeast towards the town of Coromandel...

IMG_2935-X3.jpg

...which is only about 5km away now...

IMG_2936-X3.jpg

I'm soon on finals for my hotel....

IMG_2943-X3.jpg

...pausing only to refuel (the fuel light has been on for 20 miles)...

IMG_2952-X3.jpg

I check into my very pleasant room, put some laundry on and then start to upload the 190 pictures from today. This is right at the end of a remote peninsula, so I am not expecting a fast internet connection, but the Olive Motel surprises me with the fastest broadband I've yet experienced in NZ! All pics uploaded in four minutes!

I open a cold drink I bought at the garage and start typing the journal...

Great day...
thumb2.gif

IMG_2920-X3.jpg

Got onto this thread a bit late in the day. Brilliant write ups and photos. Compulsory morning reading now. Keep up the good work, what a holiday.........:thumb

Wow. Some nice scenery on the peninsula.

Last car photographed, light blue/blue roof - Holden Rambler?

That coast road is a peach, I could agree that waking up to that view every day might be most pleasant.

Little green car is 1960 Ford Defect
Out of focus red coupe is a 1939 Chev Master Coupe
Black pick up is a 57 Chev pick up
And the blue car is an AMC Rambler and as it is RHD quite possibly was built in Thames New Zealand or AMI in Australia. Yes it looks a bit like a Holden of the same era.

That coast road is a peach, I could agree that waking up to that view every day might be most pleasant.
And sadly one of the most lethal bits of road in NZ for motorcyclists as the road signs will attest to.
Sadly its proximity to Auckland means it is a magnet for the road racing boys.
Keep safe

Adrian

Adrian

Great way to start the day reading these!

Little green car is 1960 Ford Defect
Out of focus red coupe is a 1939 Chev Master Coupe
Black pick up is a 57 Chev pick up
And the blue car is an AMC Rambler and as it is RHD quite possibly was built in Thames New Zealand or AMI in Australia. Yes it looks a bit like a Holden of the same era.

And sadly one of the most lethal bits of road in NZ for motorcyclists as the road signs will attest to.
Sadly its proximity to Auckland means it is a magnet for the road racing boys.
Keep safe

Adrian

Adrian

Is that a 'spoonerism' or did you mean that. On second thoughts, you were probably correct.:D

Back
Top Bottom