Groupon for Highlands

scorp888

Reaction score
Hi, looking at the likes of groupon wowcher etc, but they don't seem to cover the NW part of Scotland.

Anyone seen anything similar, as I'd like to book some hotels and the like, but it would be nice to get a deal if I could.

That said anything up from a youth hostel will be fine. Has anyone found the likes of airbnb to be any good for there?

Ian

You're looking for a cheap deal in Highland Scotland? Good luck with that! :D Stereotypes aside, supply and demand comes into play here. Relatively few places to stay and lots of demand, especially at the height of the season and even more so now that NC500 has taken off. Either go off season (April - May, September - October) or book ahead in an SYHA hostel or other hostel. Bear in mind that the distances are not huge once you get here so booking a place for a few days in Ullapool or Kyle of Lochalsh or Plockton for example will allow you to do several runs around the top, over to Skye etc once you arrive.

Yeah, all of us in accommodation game are loaded and drive Bentley Continentals to do the shopping at the cash and carry, doncha know. Running a B&B or hotel to a decent standard costs a fortune, especially with the price of food for all those luvverly full Scottish breakfasts our guests enjoy so much. Self catering will save you money, but in the season you may have to book a full week, and in any case you've probably left it too late. Time to head to Millets for that tent eh?

Yeah, all of us in accommodation game are loaded and drive Bentley Continentals to do the shopping at the cash and carry, doncha know. Running a B&B or hotel to a decent standard costs a fortune, especially with the price of food for all those luvverly full Scottish breakfasts our guests enjoy so much. Self catering will save you money, but in the season you may have to book a full week, and in any case you've probably left it too late. Time to head to Millets for that tent eh?

Exactly - there are no hoteliers in the highlands making a killing.

Al

Well said, We had 7 years there and did 70% of our turnover Jul to Sept, it's not an easy place to run a business from Oct to March...

As mentioned previously, you're probably too late looking for accommodation in the NW; from Easter to end of Sept Ullapool has a serious deficit of beds, no matter what you hear the owners are no where near penury. There are however plenty decent campsites and don't forget wild camping is allowed and popular. Good Luck.

M

Exactly - there are no hoteliers in the highlands making a killing.

Al
Dunno about hoteliers AL but certainly some of the restrauteurs are filling their boots , ye seen the price of a meal in the Seaforth lately :eek:

:beerjug:

Great if we book in to yours do we get a free trip out in the bentley then:beerjug::beer:

You need to get a decent tent if you're camping. Was up at Durness last year and when we got up there was only three tents left standing. And mine was shackled to the Land Rover.
That said, I rode all over Europe to Nordkapp last year and still think the Scottish Highlands was on par with most of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, you're right no deals in the highlands..

lFh5PHC.png

None at all.
https://www.laterooms.com/en/r256_h...nly=true&pr-min=39&pr-max=335&distanceUnit=on

I wasn't thinking of B&B's as such as there is little discounts to be found, however I'm also not daft enough to walk into a hotel and pay rack rate.

You're looking for a cheap deal in Highland Scotland? Good luck with that! :D Stereotypes aside, supply and demand comes into play here. Relatively few places to stay and lots of demand, especially at the height of the season and even more so now that NC500 has taken off. Either go off season (April - May, September - October) or book ahead in an SYHA hostel or other hostel. Bear in mind that the distances are not huge once you get here so booking a place for a few days in Ullapool or Kyle of Lochalsh or Plockton for example will allow you to do several runs around the top, over to Skye etc once you arrive.

This will be for April. So less of an issue than Summer as I recall. Although I've had better weather in April than August, so fingers cross. Camping is an option, but it's nice to have a proper bed every few days.

Yeah, you're right no deals in the highlands..

lFh5PHC.png

None at all.
https://www.laterooms.com/en/r256_h...nly=true&pr-min=39&pr-max=335&distanceUnit=on

I wasn't thinking of B&B's as such as there is little discounts to be found, however I'm also not daft enough to walk into a hotel and pay rack rate.

Very often if they have spare rooms they may as well discount them down as opposed to have them empty on the night and hope you spendd some cash in the bar restaurant

The issue with the top od Scotlandshire is there will be few places with empty rooms or you will have to suffer several disappointments and many miles usually in the rain before you find somewhere with room.

On many occasions i have sat outside the Strathcarron hotel and watched as bike after bike stopped to ask and then have to move on

Back
Top Bottom