Found The Rattle !! Some Advice?

crotchrocket

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had the 2003 TE 450 under cover for a week, got it out on Saturday and it presented symptoms of a dead battery. A weak turnover of the starter and then just a 'tick' when the starter was pressed. Tried my jump pack and same thing. Both read over 13v on the meter and power was going to the starter motor with the button pressed, so pulled the starter and bench tested it with the jump pack. It was working sporadically. Stripped it, cleaned it and put it back together, its now working fine but still sounds horrible. I can only imagine its the race bearing? But it felt fine off the bike (see video below)

Whilst the starter was out, i checked the action on the one way bearing or starter clutch. The cog had a fair bit of lateral movement which isn't right. You can also see in this picture, the starter is starting to chew the outside of the cog where its not lined up correctly.

QUESTION: The bike has a rattle which i thought was the clutch basket, but could it be this? My only reason for questioning it, is that this sits idle whilst the motor is running so i cant see how its causing the rattle, unless it literally just rattles the idle cog under load??

QUESTION 2: Should the clutch basket have any play at all? See below. is that enough to cause a rattle under load? Or is my likely suspect the starter clutch cog?

Of course I'm going to strip it down and replace parts required but was after some advice or experience? :rob

STARTER INTERNALS -

MOVING COG (see the chewed edge)

BENCH TEST STARTER:

http://vid76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/crotchrocket3000/IMG_1544_zpsg9jfohni.mp4

STARTER NOISE:

http://vid76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/crotchrocket3000/IMG_1545_zpsxfqs69h7.mp4

CLUTCH BASKET MOVEMENT:

[video]http://vid76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/crotchrocket3000/IMG_1548_zps8y8hores.mp4[/video]

Just to add to the confusion. This diagram shows the starter clutch as a different component (31) on the top right, and perhaps its just the bearing 28 i need to replace. Its part no. 27 you can see in the pic above.

Is the starter shaft fully returning or could it be riding the edge of the cog, hence the marked. Does it rattle when you put the clutch under load.?

That starter shaft always maintains contact with the cog, but i think as the cog has some movement its not at 90 degrees to the starter shaft which is where the damage came from (i think) The rattle goes away if I pull on the clutch lever just enough so that it doesn't start slipping, which is why i assumed clutch basket, before finding that loose cog!

If the noise is there when the bike is on tick over but goes when you slowly pull in clutch that puts clutch under pressure and tightens it up, so to speak. If the noise is still there with clutch fully pulled in, stater motor.
Bit like a car with a release bearing noise.
Hope you solve it, rattles n squeaks, a mechanics nightmare.:D

It only develops a rattle whilst riding in the higher gears and under a gentle throttle. Idle and hammering it theres no rattle at all. Bloody things :D

Cam chain guide rail? Not sure which models this applied to, but husky dealer once told me that engines can be rattly due to wear on the guide rail; fitting a new one will quieten it for about 1k miles, after which it will slowly revert.

Back
Top Bottom