2017 Tracer 900 changes

Greenman14

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether, apart from new colours, there are any changes to the Tracer spec on the 2017 models? Can't seem to find much on this and my local dealer was a bit vague.

It has the slipper clutch from the XSR900 cafe racer thing. Wiring is in place to add quickshift for extra cost of course. Suspension has been tweaked as has the ECU map. Sump should have the drain plug on the side rather than base - a few people bashed them on speed bumps or kerbs.

I rarely lock up the rear wheel on my 2015 model so the slipper is a gimmick. Any suspension improvement is welcome - new shock was developed pretty quickly as some went rusty. Lots of people have blagged a new one under warranty. New ones don't rust it seems.

The two things they needed to change - screen & seat - are unchanged I think. I have added a Powerbronze screen and Bagster seat to make it a decent tourer.

Cheers Wessie. I thought rust was the least of the problems with the rear shock? I've tested the Tracer properly, twice, and just couldn't get on with the suspension for all-day comfort. It's close to a lightweight replacement for the GS but not quite there yet for me, as standard.

Cheers Wessie. I thought rust was the least of the problems with the rear shock? I've tested the Tracer properly, twice, and just couldn't get on with the suspension for all-day comfort. It's close to a lightweight replacement for the GS but not quite there yet for me, as standard.

my R1200RS suspension is leaps ahead of my Tracer but it cost 50% more.

When you pay £8500 for a bike you have to compromise. I have done 16500 miles in 2 years, 70% long trips/fun rides and 30% commuting. If I did not have my current disposable income I would be happy enough with just the Tracer. The motor is a peach, you just have to back off the throttle a bit if it is really bumpy.

A friend just test rode a Tracer and concluded the same as you. He has bought a low mileage S1000XR for £12k. Some people have spent £1000 on new suspension and say they have transformed the bike. I'm not convinced, as they obviously have to rationalise the expense. I took the £12500 option and bought the RS for rides where I want a better quality ride but the semi-sports riding position hurts after a couple of hours, so nothing is ever perfect.

Despite all I've said the Tracer is almost certainly my next bike as I'm feeling the weight of the GS more and more.

Despite all I've said the Tracer is almost certainly my next bike as I'm feeling the weight of the GS more and more.

In that case you need a KTM :thumb2

I liked the Tracer, but it did not have the solid premium feel of a 1200 Adventure Bike, a bit Revvy / buzzy / flighty for my liking, but you cannot knock it at the price.

Sold a KTM to get the GS, my head banging days are over though it was fun while it lasted.

I've got a 2017 Tracer, and if I recall the Traction Control system was updated with 3 settings as apposed to on/off of the previous models. Now its 1 2 or off.

Back
Top Bottom