Starting from Scratch

Barge

Reaction score
My last bike jacket was cheap, but looked good, but was useless, so I binned it. My boots were worn out, helmet had gone musty along with the gloves so it all went in the bin. So I am now starting from scratch.

I need a helmet, would prefer a flip-up lid. Would like a Schubert, but they are a bit too spendy.

Intercom system

Jacket - last good, read expensive, one that I had was a Dianese, great for weekend riders, but used every day the stitching just fell apart on it.

Trousers - I don't like suits. I don't think that they would be suitable for extremes of temperatures?

Boots - don't want moto-x style boots

Gloves

Environment will be mostly UK, particularly Scotland, but planning a Euro trip then down into Greece, so there is a huge temperature difference there.

And this where it gets difficult - I also need to kit out my partner. She is a 5' 2" size 10, who suffers from the cold (Reynauds). A recommendation of where to go for women's kit would be great. We live in Shetland so her stuff will probably have to be mail order, so returns need to be easy.

There is obviously a huge wealth of experience here, so pointers towards brands would be as useful as particular models. Even more useful would be comments like don't touch x with a barge pole, but probably better by PM. Worthy retailers would be good too, on service and price.

Don't worry too much about budget, I would rather spend a bit more to make sure we are both comfortable, but Schubert is out of the sensible range.

Thanks a lot

Bmw Evo6 as the new evo7 is out, maybe deals; bmw 2:1 gloves around £70 less than rukka, other makes are available. Boots, either Daytona or Altberg all day comfort and monsoon proof.

The problem with Ladies bike gear is the vast difference in what a size 10 means between manufacturers.

J&S in Hamilton are helpful, if you took exact measurements, they could check it against stock, Infinity Glasgow too.

If; you're thinking mail order, have a look at bikerland.de good service and price's.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Excellent. Thanks folks.

Should have said we both wear glasses, which might might make a difference in lid choices.

Thanks again

I use an evo6 with comms and have no problem with taking on/off whilst still wearing glasses.

Get this months RiDe magazine, comes with insert , Gear Guide 2017 worth a read.

Rukka Arma S has been discontinued, so there are deals around. But the ventilation isn't that great. Lots like/lots hate.

Hideout do textiles and could be worth a chat with.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

To the person who offered me the lid. Wrong size for both of us sadly, and your mailbox is full.

To the person who offered me the lid. Wrong size for both of us sadly, and your mailbox is full.

Thanks for reply and mailbox now cleared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know its a long way south of you; let's be fair, you're in Shetland, what isn't south of you; but check out the Adventure Bike Shop. http://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/
Lots of kit from a variety of brands, many of which do ladies kit.
You can order via the internet and get jacket/trousers/boots/gloves in one easy hit.
As for a helmet you really need to try before you buy, particularly when wearing glasses.
Daytona boots are highly recommended. Totally monsoon proof and not too hot in the nice weather.
Good luck finding what you want, and have a great trip.

Kit is all personal and people will give you their own but differing opinions. This is why the question is good here as you will hear everyone's ideas.

For me Rukka is the best and I love the fit of the Schuberth lids. Gloves have been a right pain but I finally have also gone for Rukka for fit and also water proofing.
One thing I have never changed my mind on nor have had to replace since my last pair in 2007 was my Daytona summer boots. Although summer boots I have worn then in winter and through torrential rain. One real piece of kit I am 100% totally satisfied with. Pricey but worth it to me. The model I have are no longer made - equivalent is the Journey XCR. I also bought a pair of Travel Star GTX but confess I have never worn them......They were on offer at the Louis.de outlet in Hamburg one year so I bought them as a spare pair just never had reason to use them.

Ride mag has been bought for me, so I will have a look at that tonight. I think that I am going to buy from somewhere in the UK, as parcels from Germany take an age to get here as they come up from Aberdeen on the boat. Although Inhaven't confirmed it yet with the vendor I would like to pick the bike up on the 1st of April, which suggests having to around the shops to buy the kit, especially the lid.

I really appreciate the input folks as I had no idea where to start.

Motolegends are really good - large array of kit on their website and very good with returns if the fit isn't right. They also price match to U.K. prices and will take another 10% off.

http://www.motolegends.com

Hi

I've used Daytona boots for ages. They are waterproof, feel like slippers when worn in, plus they can be sent away for refurbishment when needed, and come back like new.

When it comes to the cost of the kit, I always think of the Bell helmets advert 'If you have a ten dollar head buy a ten dollar helmet'.

sportsbikeshop.co.uk have a huge range of gear from lots of different manufacturers - including lots for females. I've ordered stuff from them in the past (although not clothes) and have found them to be very understanding regarding the issue of living in Shetland and they didn't charge any extra postage. It's worth giving them a ring if online ordering throws up silly postage fees.
Both Adventure Bike Shop and Adventure Bike Warehouse have also been good to me regarding postage and returning stuff (ABW once sent me trousers in two sizes to try on and only charged for one pair, trusting me to return the other pair). Again, it's always worth phoning - you might even get a UKGSer discount if you ask nicely.
Good luck!
Birgit

+ 1 for Sports Bike Shop, excellent service. Also try Infinity Motorcycles for mail order. Ordered a Shoei GT Air on Sunday evening and it was delivered today. Far cheaper than anywhere else (prob due to last years colours!)

I have written this from home, so I have no idea if the thread has been updated. My apologies if you have written words of wisdom and I haven’t covered them in this piece.

From the advice on here the likely kit list for me is

BMW EVO 6 helmet
Weiss Dakar Adventure jacket and trousers
BMW 1:2 gloves
Daytona boots - not sure which model yet
If I have any money left over I will buy some insurance. Just joking - insurance first.

Is the Weiss jacket and trousers advisable for what I am doing? It has a zip out thermal lining and the waterproof/breathable lining is removable. I would like Rukka, but I just can’t justify the price at the moment. £800 for a pair of trousers - good god, what are they made from, the tears of 21 year old large busted blonde Liverpudlians virgins? OK, that’s probably got some scarcity value, and so well worth it.

I have been horrified by the costs, but I suppose my bit by bit starting with my first leather Lancer jacket back in 1977 made it seem cheaper.

Rukka is indeed pricey but 800 for the trousers is a bit steep. Sportsbikeshop is one I have used in the past as they had a great deal on a pair of Rukka Armaxion trousers. Cant comment on Weiss as I've never owned one.
Good kit costs money but experience tells that it tends to last as well. My Rukka jacket is 8 years old and I wear it all the time. In the wash now and again and right as rain.

Ex military goretex is cheap and you can get ladies sizes. I got the mrs a powered waistcoat for the Nordkapp trip and she really appreciated it in 6c and lashing down.

It's difficult up here I know. Leave at 6c in the rain. Europe at 38c bright sunshine. Layering is the answer. Merino base layer, Micro fleece, leather then the goretex if it's wet and a Rab down vest if it's cold. +1 on the Altbergs. They're a great bit of kit and worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I paid the deposit on the bike today.

I have bought us each a pair of BMW 2 in 1 gloves.

Sportsbikeshop have got the Schuberth C3 Pro Europe matt fluorescent yellow for £455.99 down from £600, https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/223270. however MotoLegends have got a price match + a further 10% off http://www.motolegends.com/customer-service/price-beat. If they stand by this I will buy the Daytona boots from them (Road Star GTX and Lady Star GTX)

I am going to go for the RST Pro v3 Jacket https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/319422 and the black trousers https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/319457

She has a decent Belstaff jacket, which we are going to try out on a test camp. Her lid has a 2002 sticker on it so that will be replaced.

Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated.

It looks like the cost to kit us out is going to be about £3,000. If you say it quickly it doesn't sound as bad!

Back
Top Bottom